Sponsored

Keyless Entry / Faraday Pouches.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just after a sanity check here as I'm new to all this keyless crap ...

So, I have turned off the keyless bit in the settings - to open and close my car is now like a traditional push button key fob, however the car will still start once it's unlocked and the key is in range.

Do I still need to use a faraday pouch ? i.e. are there any circumstances (no matter how obscure) where my security is compromised by not using a faraday pouch ?

Cheers,

WD :like:
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
someone smashing the window in and then using a booster to start the car? I have no idea how this keyless entry system got past the insurance companies, it's utter pish as far as security goes. Faraday pouch all the way unless you're using the car is my advice

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Are cars really getting stolen with the owner only a few meters away? The range that the car recognizes the key is only a few meters. If you are leaving it parked outside (no garage) do a test and see how far away the key has to be in order for the car to start. If your home doesn't allow for that distance, then yes use that Faraday Pouch.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Are cars really getting stolen with the owner only a few meters away?
Yes. A couple of wily thieves only need to be in range of the key, e.g. sat in a porch. From there they can boost the keys signal as if they were stood next to the car, hop in, start the engine and go.

I've moved since this was a concern for me, but for the above reason I kept my key in a pouch, and also invested in a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrent (these don't stop the most determined).

@WD Pro - all down to personal preference I guess. I would feel safer with your set up, but if we are talking obscure, if someone wanted to, they could clone your key without your knowledge - say when you are out and about. You may sleep better as well just having your key in a pouch when you're at home - I know I do!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
So, I have turned off the keyless bit in the settings

Do I still need to use a faraday pouch ?
The key will still be emitting it's signal, It's just now the car won't open the doors keyless stylee.
Anyone who can capture the key signal, will be able to start the car.
The only obstacle being getting into the car in the first place.
Access to cars with frameless doors would seem to be slightly easier.
So there you are, switching off keyless entry is as per the title, but in the presence of the correct signal, the car should still start.

There are kits to temporarily de-activate the key battery, which would allow you to retain the keyless entry and start. The kits seem to have something you apply to the key battery itself.
What I couldn't ascertain though, was when the key battery dies, whether you would need to buy another kit for the new battery.

Are cars really getting stolen with the owner only a few meters away?
There are reports of theives simply waiting by the car, for when you return and "convincing" you to give them the key.

At home, my keys stay ensconced in the Ford sourced pouches.
However, none of the pouches I have tried, 100% block the signal emitted by the key.
The pouches I got through Ford are good quality, a good size and do the best job of blocking the key signal, ime.

I've gone with 3rd party, AM, security.

It's all a faff and mild PITA, but these are the times we live in.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I use all the keyless functionality - have had several cars with it and wouldn't want to be without it now. Faraday pouch works perfectly for keys in the house at night so no chance of a booster being able to find them.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm on a fair few car forums and not one member has had their car stolen using the so called booster method, the clips you see are always the same ones too.
Cars are stolen by breaking in the house and stealing the keys 99.9% of the time.
If someone is that brazen they would smash a car window and sit there messing about trying to boost a keysignal whilst a car alarm is going off I see no reason why they wouldn't have just broken in the house.

My advice is get a disc lock, as not one person I know has had the car pinched when using one. Faraday pouch is unnecessary if keyless entry has been disabled however it won't hurt and keeps your key from scratching i suppose.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
From memory I think 2 or 3 Mustangs have been taken this way. Pretty sure it was this clip that persuaded me to get the pouch/wheel lock;

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’ve no doubt it does happen but as car thefts go it’s a very very small proportion in my opinion. Turn the keyless start off and it’s not really an issue. Stick a disc lock and disable it and it’s not going via that method.

I habe had keyless entry and start on past 3 cars and used a disc lock never a problem for me. On the Mustang I’ve just disabled it and use a disk lock if I deem it necessary as parked in my garage most of the time

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Turn the keyless start off and it’s not really an issue.
If one deactivated the keyless start...... How would we start our cars?
Last time I looked, my Mustang didn't have a conventional turn-key ignition.

Switching off keyless ENTRY, doesn't prevent starting the car with the correct key signal, either from a key itself (key theft) or by replicating the key signal (boosting / cloning, etc).

Ime. Mustangs aren't very attractive to car thieves who are more likely to steal an FRS, because it has room to stow the swag, ie, FRS are stolen to commit other crimes & outrun the rozzers.

You steal a Mustang....... and what?
It's loud, it's hyper conspicuous and has little to no space onboard for the swag.

Last edited:

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual

Switching off keyless ENTRY, doesn't prevent starting the car with the correct key signal, either from a key itself (key theft) or by replicating the key signal (boosting / cloning, etc).

Ime. Mustangs aren't very attractive to car thieves who are more likely to steal an FRS, because it has room to stow the swag, ie, FRS are stolen to commit other crimes & outrun the rozzers.

It's loud, it's hyper conspicuous and has little to no space onboard for the swag.
Keyless entry is not a convenience feature it just makes the car easier to steal. Faffing around with a Faraday pouch is far more trouble than getting your key & pressing open button. Many cars let you disable keyless entry in menus otherwise get the dealer to do it for free. At very least keep your keys at home in a tin with a lid.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Sorry a typo I meant turn off keyless entry.

And I totally agree with you regarding the mustang being an unattractive target.

Insurance premiums reflect that too. Golf R quotes for me are over double what I pay for my GT.

My stance on theft precautions is that people should start by making their house as secure as possible first. I've a friend who has an m140i uses a disc lock and Faraday pouch but whose home I could break into using a marzipan screwdriver. I've told him but he is totally dismissive that his doors and locks are absolutely shit. To top it off a golf r in his village went walkies recently.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Keyless entry is not a convenience feature it just makes the car easier to steal. Faffing around with a Faraday pouch is far more trouble than getting your key & pressing open button. Many cars let you disable keyless entry in menus otherwise get the dealer to do it for free. At very least keep your keys at home in a tin with a lid.
I think a faraday pouch is a lot less of a faf than a tine with a lid !

Personally I have had keyless on all of my cars since 2008 and wouldn't be without it. Depends on what you do and how you use your vehicle.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Keyless entry is not a convenience feature it just makes the car easier to steal. Faffing around with a Faraday pouch is far more trouble than getting your key & pressing open button.
You're preaching to the converted buddy. The pouch is a faff, I'll agree.
I'm a bit more relaxed about it possibly due to having an additional couter measure.
I could give some one the key, but they ain't going anywhere.

So it's good, those who want to, can now deactivate KE.

My daily is old school button press for entry, it's no bother.
:like:
Sponsored