Sponsored

Ford Keyless Entry: Easy to steal your belongings/car! (Prevention Methods Inside)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

As I can't wait until my UK Mustang arrives I have being deeply worried over security as here in the UK the Focus RS uses a keyless entry system which thieves are able to steal the car with ease in less than 60s. As such the Focus RS get stolen on a regular basis in the UK, simply because it is so easy to do, easy money for thieves.

The simply boost the wireless signal of your keyfob in your house using a signal booster that cost from Ebay and then plug a laptop into your OBD port and with some software flash a new keyfob and drive away in your pride and joy. :(

So of course I am deeply worried about someone stealing my pony or stealing items from inside my car without even sounding the alarm or having to break in, so not even easy to claim on insurance.

As such I have purchased the following products to help secure my pony and its contents. :)

1. FOB Guard:
http://www.fobguard.com/#_l_2l

This simple yet effective wallet stops signal booster boosting the range of your keyfob, preventing thieves easy access to your car, so the only way in is for them to break in and sound your alarm, at which point most will move on to the next car where the owner does not have a FOB Guard.

2. Steering lock professional:
http://www.racshop.co.uk/car-access...toplock-professional-steering-wheel-lock.html

This was reviewed second best of all steering wheel locks at 57s to get past whilst having to make a lot of noise. Only the far more expensive, larger and heavier steering wheel disc lock took longer at 116s but they are bulky and in some cases still allow you to turn the steering wheel.

3. Clifford OBD port lock and carjacker prevention:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/blackjax-4-car-jacking-module

The problem with modern technology seems to be that it makes cars extremely easy to steal, so here in the UK this is a major worry and hence I have resorted to old school techniques to keep my new modern Pony firmly on my driveway. :)
Sponsored

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
Clifford - how does it know your car has been stolen, can someone just pull it out of the port & how long does it take to activate I don't want to run miles after my car lol? I like the idea though!

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
A big proportion of thievery is committed by the said thieves, breaking into your house, battering you then stealing the keys.

However, a few simple steps like some of what you've listed will help prevent the opportunist. A barking dog will do more, bit more of a commitment though :D.

I've got two;)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A big proportion of thievery is committed by the said thieves, breaking into your house, battering you then stealing the keys.

However, a few simple steps like some of what you've listed will help prevent the opportunist. A barking dog will do more, bit more of a commitment though :D.

I've got two;)

Got a barking dog! :D

My friend used another technique, at night he put his keys on his dogs collar. :D :D :D

v8nye

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kentmustang.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Interesting ideas, not seen the fob guard before - I know at our dealerships there have been RS & Mustang customers bring this up.

A cheap fix is to have your OBD port relocated to a non standard location, alternatively we have disabled the communication wires for programming with a simple hidden kill switch.

A combination of the two would help stop opportunists

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting ideas, not seen the fob guard before - I know at our dealerships there have been RS & Mustang customers bring this up.

A cheap fix is to have your OBD port relocated to a non standard location, alternatively we have disabled the communication wires for programming with a simple hidden kill switch.

A combination of the two would help stop opportunists

Any more information on this kill switch please?

v8nye

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kentmustang.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Its something the workshop can fit, or, to be honest you could do yourself if comfortable with wiring. Basically taking the TX wires, cut, add a hidden switch somewhere in your car.

OBD would work fine for scanguage or other reading duties, but wouldn't work for programming. (So you'd need to switch it back on when taking to a dealer etc)

For the cost of some cable and a toggle switch!

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its something the workshop can fit, or, to be honest you could do yourself if comfortable with wiring. Basically taking the TX wires, cut, add a hidden switch somewhere in your car.

OBD would work fine for scanguage or other reading duties, but wouldn't work for programming. (So you'd need to switch it back on when taking to a dealer etc)

For the cost of some cable and a toggle switch!

Workshop? You mean dealership? I'd hate to mess with wiring to be honest, fitting a supercharger no problem, but messing with wires, not my thing. ;)

v8nye

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kentmustang.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Yes, the Ford dealership I work for are happy to do work like that, its not on the website or anything but something they have been talking to local clubs about. Speak to your local dealer and explain, hopefully they might have done similar?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the Ford dealership I work for are happy to do work like that, its not on the website or anything but something they have been talking to local clubs about. Speak to your local dealer and explain, hopefully they might have done similar?

When I ask them about it do they have any kind of name for the procedure, just don't want to confuse them.

Sponsored

v8nye

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kentmustang.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
No, just mention you wish to disable OBD programming via a kill switch on the wire to them.

If you're in the Kent area, I can always get one of my guys to email or you about doing it.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, just mention you wish to disable OBD programming via a kill switch on the wire to them.

If you're in the Kent area, I can always get one of my guys to email or you about doing it.

Cheers buddy! :)
So this will stop a thief from programming a new key in the car and driving off?

Can you email me those instructions please along with links where I can buy the switch and wire pretty please?
[email protected]

:)

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Do you have radio shack in the UK? If so I guess hardest part would be find g that TX wire... So if anyone knows the details please post :D

v8nye

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kentmustang.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I'll stick the details here so all can benefit!

So - Technically any of the 16 pin can bus wires will disrupt it. The high speed ones will be best, so pins 6 and 14 would be best. Disconnect/cut these from the OBD port and run via a toggle switch.

It will disable the high speed which stops key programming!

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll stick the details here so all can benefit!

So - Technically any of the 16 pin can bus wires will disrupt it. The high speed ones will be best, so pins 6 and 14 would be best. Disconnect/cut these from the OBD port and run via a toggle switch.

It will disable the high speed which stops key programming!
Cheers

We all need to do this and we should all be asking the dealerships if they are happy to do it for us. Why?

Well simple, if thieves start trying to steal Mustangs thinking they are easy targets like the Focus RS but a lot of us make these simple preventive modifications well the thieves are going to give up because Mustangs are too much hassle. :)
Sponsored