Sponsored

Disable Keyless Entry?

Pegasus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Mustang GT
Is there a way to disable keyless entry either from the car or the key?
I can't find any information on this so I'm guessing not, is it likely to come in an update from Ford?
If not what are your preferred security solutions? I've looked at RFID blocking pouches, ODB port options and steering locks.
Thanks
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
No but I agree keyless entry is a pain in the backside. Put a steering lock on and key in a Faraday cage pouch

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
Because the car has Keyless entry i have a Stoplock Pro, and the key lives in a Faraday pouch. Its certainly one element of technology i wish we could get rid of.

OP
OP
Pegasus

Pegasus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Mustang GT
That's a shame, there must be a way to disable power to the keyless unlock switch on the outer handle, I'm not sure what the easiest way to do it would be but no doubt someone will work it out, pull a fuse or cut a wire/fit a switch in the door and have it work only via the remote, removing the vulnerability.
In the meantime I'll be getting a Stoplock Pro and Faraday pouch too!

Sponsored

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
I like it that the key can stay in my pocket. What is the realistic security risk?

OP
OP
Pegasus

Pegasus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Mustang GT
I like it that the key can stay in my pocket. What is the realistic security risk?
Cars with this like the Ford RS get stolen regularly in the UK, IMHO it's a serious risk. There's some old threads here that mention this too.
Here's a recent news article: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/937639/Ford-Fiesta-keyless-entry-car-theft-UK

Luckily there are things we can do to prevent this, they're just far less convenient than not having keyless entry at all.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You just need to read the news on the issues with keyless entry. It's a ridiculous system when a fob would have been fine.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Cars with this like the Ford RS get stolen regularly in the UK, IMHO it's a serious risk. There's some old threads here that mention this too.
Here's a recent news article: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/937639/Ford-Fiesta-keyless-entry-car-theft-UK

Luckily there are things we can do to prevent this, they're just far less convenient than not having keyless entry at all.
The RS appeals to a totally different demographic.... a lot of young thieves want them, but not so many want the old man mustang..

OP
OP
Pegasus

Pegasus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Mustang GT
Not sure if you're joking Enoch? In case you aren't the news article I linked was about Fiestas, and the RS is more valuable like the Mustang which is why it is targeted, these are usually stolen to be sold not driven, there's also more than twice as many of them as Mustangs on the UK roads.

And if you are joking.. well what about the older more established thieves who would prefer the "old man mustang"?:giggle:

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Do those pouches actually work? I tried putting my key in an aluminium box lined with plastic and placing the box in a sweet tin. It should have made a good Faraday Cage but the car could still be unlocked. Grounding the box made no difference either.
funnily enough - I was looking for a faraday pouch the other day - there are loads of them available fro Ā£5 to Ā£50!

Taking Johns point -

Do they actually work?

Which is best in everyone's experience?

cheers

Bob

OP
OP
Pegasus

Pegasus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Mustang GT
funnily enough - I was looking for a faraday pouch the other day - there are loads of them available fro Ā£5 to Ā£50!

Taking Johns point -

Do they actually work?

Which is best in everyone's experience?

cheers

Bob
The reviews imply they do, and if it doesn't easy enough to return on amazon.
I was looking to get something like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010VK9...olid=13U2VBC2ACMU1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

There are cheaper ones but there seem to be reports of them wearing out and rendering them ineffective after a number of months.
Any one got a good one they can recommend?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reviews imply they do, and if it doesn't easy enough to return on amazon.
I was looking to get something like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010VK9...olid=13U2VBC2ACMU1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

There are cheaper ones but there seem to be reports of them wearing out and rendering them ineffective after a number of months.
Any one got a good one they can recommend?
There are reveiws online of the good ones. I got mine from Amazon and it works even when standing next to the car. When i say it works i mean the pouch and not the key

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Not sure if you're joking Enoch? In case you aren't the news article I linked was about Fiestas, and the RS is more valuable like the Mustang which is why it is targeted, these are usually stolen to be sold not driven, there's also more than twice as many of them as Mustangs on the UK roads.

And if you are joking.. well what about the older more established thieves who would prefer the "old man mustang"?:giggle:
It was tongue in cheek, but in saying that, Iā€™m not sure the Mustang is a high value target for thieves.... unlike Range Rovers, and high end German stuff for example..

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
For my sins I work in insurance and you would not believe the state of Thefts. in the last few months I have had a fiesta, kuga, transit and range rover. All were taken without the theft of keys and no smashed windows ! Range rovers are the most theft attractive vehicles along with BMW x5.

Look on youtube and you can find cctv of keyless vehicles being stolen with a computer type thing that the thieves wave infront of your house and then they are in your car and its gone. Trackers are not worth a rub as most of these the thieves have worked out how to disable - best thing is a visual type of deterrent - yes these can still be broken but if they need to gut and grind on something outside your house then it may wake you up, no deterrent then in a minute its gone.

I have my stang and a fiesta st that i always try and block in with my van abd wifes volvo, and both cars have steering wheel bar things just in case.

if the insurance industry cant cut out thefts and manufacturers make it too easy to bypass their systems then there is only so much that we can do unless we garage then or have a pitbull sitting inside each night !!
Sponsored