Key FOB not detected

tdkipp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I have a 2016 Mustang. When the weather is cold (under 40 degrees) or hot (over 95 degrees), the key fob is not detected.
I have two FOB's and replaced batteries in both. So batteries are not the problem. Once the weather gets a little, warmer in winter or cooler in summer, the car will recognize the key fob and start.

I have taken it to a non-dealer mechanic while the problem existed and they could not find the problem. Ford dealer will not look at it unless the problem is occurring at that specific time. On one occasion last winter, I started the car by putting fob n cup holder and drove to dealer. By the time I got there, the car warmed up enough that the problem was no longer occurring.

I have seen similar posts from a few years ago but no real resolution. Anyone know what could be causing the problem or a fix?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Could ba one of several things. Wiring, a connector or the module itself or, possibly, whatever it uses as an antenna. If I had to bet I'd go with the module.
If you're not into trouble shooting the wiring and connectors yourself you could offer to leave the car overnight during the coldest, or hottest, part of the year so the fault might be reproducable for the dealer.
If it's the module it will have to go to a dealer anyway to be programmed to the car.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Based on your symptoms, with both fobs working the same way, and the car consistently recognizing the fobs in the temperature range you mentioned, my money is on the antenna under the cup holder. But as with electronic issues, it could really be anything. Since I'm averse to taking cars to dealers, I'd replace the antenna myself if not too expensive. It's like a 1"x1"x3" box attached to the underside of the rear cup holder. It shouldn't require any reprogramming IMO, but could be wrong. And if it does, check if it can be done with FORScan. If not that, then the actual module, or a connector/wiring issue could be the culprit. If the antenna fix fails, I'd check and add dielectric grease on all connectors before going any further. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Sponsored