Key Fob Battery

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Got in car this morning, got key battery low replace soon. Anyone know the part # for battery replacement? I am at work and can't take the fob apart to order.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
gameovergt

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Google said CR2032 & also CR2025.

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
I just opened mine to check. Two of the CR2025 type batteries are inside.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
When you replace it note the orientation of the batteries and also the white thin spacer. That has to go back in the same spot.

SVOv2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 6MT
In case others are looking for the answer...

Sponsored

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
So do both types of batteries work in it? I’m assuming the 2032 last a little longer?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
So do both types of batteries work in it? I’m assuming the 2032 last a little longer?
The 2025 battery is 20 mm (diameter) x 2.5 mm (thickness) with a 165 mAh rating. The 2032 battery is 20 mm x 3.2 mm with a 240 mAh rating. So, the 2032 battery should last longer.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The 2025 battery is 20 mm (diameter) x 2.5 mm (thickness) with a 165 mAh rating. The 2032 battery is 20 mm x 3.2 mm with a 240 mAh rating. So, the 2032 battery should last longer.
You have to use two batteries and the spacer, the 2x 2032 won't fit. You need to use the same batteries that the remote comes with which are 2025.

I can't rmemeher the orientation of the +/- sides in relation to the spacer so I'm not sure if they're using them in series for 3.0 volts or in parallel for 1.5 volts with twice the AH capacity. Regardless it doesn't matter lol. 2x 2025 and your good.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just for the record, my 2019 fob requires a CR2450 battery, which is exactly the same as my ex-2018 F-150 fob. It's a much larger battery than the typical CR2032 fob battery. Not sure why Ford moved to a freaking larger fob (and a larger battery). Ironically, it reportedly craps out sooner than other fobs, so I preemptively replaced them on the F-150 at 1.5 years. It's easy to do.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I can't rmemeher the orientation of the +/- sides in relation to the spacer
The batteries have plus sides against each other but with the spacer between them.

Just for the record, my 2019 fob requires a CR2450 battery, which is exactly the same as my ex-2018 F-150 fob. It's a much larger battery than the typical CR2032 fob battery. Not sure why Ford moved to a freaking larger fob (and a larger battery).
If they wanted a bigger fob or didn't care if it was bigger, it makes sense to use one 24 x 5 mm battery instead of two 20 x 2.5 mm batteries. Same total thickness with more capacity from the extra 4 mm width.

Using one battery instead of 2 makes a lot of sense. Whoever installs it only has to figure out the orientation of 1 battery when they didn't recall/write both down as they took the old ones out. There is only one battery to get put in cockeyed. Plus no spacer to screw up. Got to be simpler/cheaper to manufacture, too.

Just replaced the factory batteries in one 2016 fob.

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I had the "low battery" notification last month. Replaced the batteries and then the fob didn't work at all. Ended up at the dealership to see if it somehow lost programming but the fob was just dead. Couldn't reprogram, wouldn't respond. So ended up buying a new fob $198 so I have 2 working ones again

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I had the "low battery" notification last month. Replaced the batteries and then the fob didn't work at all. Ended up at the dealership to see if it somehow lost programming but the fob was just dead. Couldn't reprogram, wouldn't respond. So ended up buying a new fob $198 so I have 2 working ones again
The fobs don't seem to be made for easy battery replacement. Lots of opportunities for something to get tweaked prying them apart and maybe even fried if batteries put in wrong. I know I would never have expected the stacked batteries to be installed with the positive sides pointed towards each other. I'll bet some people see the top battery is negative up and then pop both out and put the new ones in both negative up.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
The fobs don't seem to be made for easy battery replacement. Lots of opportunities for something to get tweaked prying them apart and maybe even fried if batteries put in wrong. I know I would never have expected the stacked batteries to be installed with the positive sides pointed towards each other. I'll bet some people see the top battery is negative up and then pop both out and put the new ones in both negative up.
That's what I was thinking as well. I stopped at an O'Reilly's since I was right there when the alert popped up. I was not sure that they guy knew what he was doing when he reassembled the fob after noticing the batteries hanging a little loose and not snapped in to place.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The sides / top of those batteries are all the same polarity, +ve.

The Fob most likely has the ability to put them in series or parallel through its internal circuitry.

I'd guess they'd be in parallel for longevity for the unlock / lock / alarm functions and they are in series for 3.0 volts for using the remote start since it would need more power for the transmit + receive signal the remote start receives and then sends back to the remote to acknowledge the start was successful / unsuccessful.

I could be wrong but that's my best guess.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
If you take the fob apart like changing the batteries you can see why the batteries are oriented + to + with the "plate" between. The batteries are actually powering two different areas of the fob. Look at the connection points and you can see the routing. I had it all apart and noticed the wiring connections.
Sponsored