Sponsored

Key fob stopped working

svello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Today when I got out of my car, my key fob didn't work to lock/unlock the car. I tried my 2nd key fob with no response either. The car would not start, and said key not detected.

After I placed the key fob in the holder under the cup holder, I was able to start the car, and everything returned to normal after that.

Anyone else have any problems with the key fobs intermittently not working?
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I think that both of your key fobs needed battery replacement. The holder seems to be one of the major receiver/transmission locations. By bringing the fob close...the weakened signal was accepted.
I have found that just sitting in a drawer, my key fobs eventually need battery replacement, because they are transmitting all the time. The batteries are lithium and not very expensive. The first time that I needed to change batteries...there was no low battery warning from the vehicle. The fob just didn't work, but the other fob did. I changed batteries and the first one worked again. I usually keep a pair of batteries in my car and a couple in the house or garage.

Last edited:
OP
OP

svello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
It is definitely not the batteries. I changed the battery in the 1st fob before trying again. Then the 2nd fob didn't work. Never got any low battery message.

Also, both fobs work again perfectly, so I'm not sure if this is some software glitch.
Sponsored