Sponsored

Just replaceing Struts/shocks NON PP car

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
I am just looking to improve some handling performance without lowering the car.A lot goes in to lowering then just throwing springs on and go.

How would my NON PP base GT perform with some better struts/shocks?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Good stiffer shocks will definitely help performance with stock base springs, but consider some PP or GT350 (nonR) stock height springs if you’re in there doing shocks anyway. The base springs are so soft, its hard to keep the car off the bumpstops.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Your car will come alive with better dampers—they’re worth the money, especially if your OEM units are up on miles.

Bilsteins for full sport mode and a bit firmer ride; Steeda non-adusts for a supple ride and decent handling gains.

Ford Street X springs if you want a bit lower, handle better, and still have an enjoyable ride.

trusaleen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I have Non PP car, (CA Special) I have the BMR minimum drop springs and non adjustable Steeda shocks and struts. Made a HUGE improvement. Don’t be fearful of dropping the car just a little bit. Before the car was very floaty, felt like a Caddy, now feels the way it should.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
I have Non PP car, (CA Special) I have the BMR minimum drop springs and non adjustable Steeda shocks and struts. Made a HUGE improvement. Don’t be fearful of dropping the car just a little bit. Before the car was very floaty, felt like a Caddy, now feels the way it should.
Did you need castor camber plates and a bumpsteer kit for that set up? How much do the minimum drop springs lower the car from stock? Any picture by any chance?

Last edited:

007evan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 2019 VW Jetta GLI
i just finished doing my base model gt with a koni kit. It worked out great with the 1 inch drop. I have always run konis never had a problem. If you are going to upgrade the suspension get the steeda stop the hop kit. It works very well and it fixes the rear irs problem. I got the gt 350r sway bars from the dealer they are inexpensive and put on the adjustable sway bar end links. The total cost was around 3500.00 dollars but well worth it. The car will not knock your fillings out....good luck

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I am just looking to improve some handling performance without lowering the car.A lot goes in to lowering then just throwing springs on and go.

Shocks and struts only, the car will be more composed. The car will ultimately roll and nose dive about the same as stock, but those motions won't overshoot which makes the car feel like it bobbled a bit.

A bit more roll stiffness via bars will control the roll motion but won't do anything for the nose dive. With just those two mods the car will be track-ready enough to see you out of the novice group and probably intermediate as well. If you're not sure about springs either for the track or on the street - I'm only considering stiffness matters here because I'm a 'form follows function' kind of guy - it wouldn't hurt too badly to wait until nose dive under braking starts to truly bother you. Though it's a little easier to take that path if you can do at least the spring swap part of the job yourself.

Even GT350R spring rates aren't all that bad; based on the resulting wheel rates (what you actually feel) they fall in a pretty decent range for a dual-purpose street/light track duty car.

Norm

OP
OP

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
My car is a daily driver, no track or drag. Just some spirited driving on back roads.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Did you need castor camber plates and a bumpsteer kit for that set up? How much do the minimum drop springs lower the car from stock? Any picture by any chance?
We strongly recommend the camber plates when lowering - our Steeda Minimum Drop Lowering Springs. On a Mustang Coupe, they would typically lower the car about ½”. On a convertible with a supercharger, about ¾” to 7/8” of an inch, which would be a great look on the car and not too low

More details can be found here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steedas-new-minimum-drop-s550-lowering-springs.90203/

img_178-jpg.jpg

OP
OP

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
We strongly recommend the camber plates when lowering - our Steeda Minimum Drop Lowering Springs. On a Mustang Coupe, they would typically lower the car about ½”. On a convertible with a supercharger, about ¾” to 7/8” of an inch, which would be a great look on the car and not too low

More details can be found here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steedas-new-minimum-drop-s550-lowering-springs.90203/

img_178-jpg.jpg
Would I need the bump steer kit as well with this?
Sponsored