Sponsored

Jon Lund Jr. discusses latest rumors about Lund Racing/future of EFI Tuning

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There's been many a post decrying just how shitty the Whipple 'EPA certified' tune is that comes in the box. I don't know if the bitching is because the tune can't muster another 10HP for bench-masterbating discussions, or if it really does suck for drivability (power delivery, throttle connection, MPG).

I guess short of a boycott from prospective Whipple buyers over their inability to write a decent tune and thus cripple their hardware sales, there might not be a recourse going forward?

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lund still provides tunes for international customers right ? 🤷‍♂️

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
It is probably going to get rid of the small tuner shops, or they just adjust and start selling tunes from the big boys ala Ford Racing and Roush. I think Steeda would probaby start jumping in as well. They were at one time, may still be a Ford partner.
The best option (Assuming all the tuning devices don't get shutdown) is to keep things small, do nothing but in person tuning and charge a lot to do so. Basically the way it used to be prior to the "mail order tune" fad. If you notice, the EPA goes after the tuning device manufactures first, then the big large volume tuners get hit. Most generally the little guys fly under the radar.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
In case anyone is interested,.........8PM tonight. Eastern Time.
This shit is no joke.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I keep going back to that this is not a new thing the EPA is doing. It’s just hitting closer to home in the Mustang community now. VMP got dinged in 2019! I’ve posted this link before, but I’ll post it again. Read all the history and settlements for yourself. Dates back to 2005:

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

I agree it sucks that they’re going after such a small niche community.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BluByeU

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty soon you will need a permit fart. Never mind China's pollution violations.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I find it interesting that the same camp who often preaches "law and order" are also against the government actually enforcing laws... when it impacts them.

These have been laws for a long time and have been enforced against other tuners over the last few years as well. These laws are there for a good reason: air pollution from cars is _real_ and impacts the health of everyone (I won't even try to get into climate change arguments). Uniform enforcement of environmental regulation is a _good_ thing.

I predict that the community will adapt. We will have even more innovation in cats, tunes, and exhaust mods... and our hobby will continue.

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
I predict that the community will adapt. We will have even more innovation in cats, tunes, and exhaust mods... and our hobby will continue.
I have the same point of view.... this is a setback in the short term.... but... it will force innovation

Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I find it interesting that the same camp who often preaches "law and order" are also against the government actually enforcing laws... when it impacts them.

These have been laws for a long time and have been enforced against other tuners over the last few years as well. These laws are there for a good reason: air pollution from cars is _real_ and impacts the health of everyone (I won't even try to get into climate change arguments). Uniform enforcement of environmental regulation is a _good_ thing.

Good and just that make sense and need to be enforced. Laws like this in which enforcement will have absolutely no impact on people or the environment are ridiculous. Especially when states should have final say on anything that is not federal law in the constitution. Auto motive laws are not part of the constitution which makes them states responsibilities. The fact that random big government alphabet agencies can now go into states that no emissions laws like FL and bully their citizens around is big government over reach at its finest.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Good and just that make sense and need to be enforced. Laws like this in which enforcement will have absolutely no impact on people or the environment are ridiculous. Especially when states should have final say on anything that is not federal law in the constitution. Auto motive laws are not part of the constitution which makes them states responsibilities. The fact that random big government alphabet agencies can now go into states that no emissions laws like FL and bully their citizens around is big government over reach at its finest.
So you don't think the federal government has any role to play in environmental protection?

Not to mention - as soon as one of these companies ships anything over state lines it automatically falls under federal purview (regulation of interstate commerce).

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So you don't think the federal government has any role to play in environmental protection?

Not to mention - as soon as one of these companies ships anything over state lines it automatically falls under federal purview (regulation of interstate commerce).
The government has done plenty to work with environmental issues. Hot rodding and aftermarket patsy is basically a non factor in what they do. They are just flexing for the sake of flexing and it’s disgusting and over reach.
Also the interstate commerce act allows the government to regulate gouging, trust formations, and monopolistic activity. Not whether a product is legal for sale or not. Come on now.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Wat

Why do you think that this has no impact on people/environment. Look at smog photos from the 50s or the differences in air quality between the US and places in China/India. Do you want the air to be so polluted that you can't see more than 20ft in front of you?

Anyways, the constitution says that states can make up their own laws when they don't interfere with Federal laws (Clean Air Act enforced via the EPA). The only exception is when state laws meet and exceed federal laws (California Emission laws).

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Wat

Why do you think that this has no impact on people/environment. Look at smog photos from the 50s or the differences in air quality between the US and places in China/India. Do you want the air to be so polluted that you can't see more than 20ft in front of you?

Anyways, the constitution says that states can make up their own laws when they don't interfere with Federal laws (Clean Air Act enforced via the EPA). The only exception is when state laws meet and exceed federal laws (California Emission laws).
Because it doesn’t. A small handful of hotrodders modifying their cars is making no change what so ever. This is another run away alphabet agency with unelected Beaurocrats who are over stepping. If climate change is such an existential threat to the world we should be declaring war on China and India then blowing up their factories. Because America could shut down tomorrow and it wouldn’t put a dent in global emissions.
Sponsored