Sponsored

Jerico/GForce trans: crazy or interesting?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Alright ladies and gents - got another one for ya'. I was talking to an older gentlemen about road racing a little bit ago and I mented that I've started to look into a trans swap for my GT350 (switching to cross plane). He asked if I had explored dropping in a Jerico/GForce 4 speed since I only use gears 2-5 anyways. I didn't really have an answer because it never even dawned on me. The lightness, dog rings, and rebuild costs seem pretty appealing, but I'll admit I don't have any exposure to them.

Has anyone done this? Explored this path at all? Curious to hear any feedback.
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Okay - I've had some interesting convos with folks in the last 40 hours that give more insight to this potential swap.

Looks like the Gforce GSR is the top choice since it's a top-mount shifter. The cheaper/older Jerico/MVEs, etc. are typically side mounts and they're too wide for the trans tunnel without some mutilation that I don't want to do.

RTS has a VERY nice unit, but it's quite pricey at 9k. then again, I'm a sucker for race-bred parts. Pretty good video on it below.

The biggest challenge with this swap will be the electronics. The OEM ECU requires a speed sensor to work correctly. These boxes are pure race-bred transmissions without a speed sensor. So I'll either need an aftermarket ECU that doesn't require the sensor or I'll need to add something like a drive shaft speed sensor and find a way to convert it to the signal that will make the OEM ECU happy. I already reached out to Bowler about their T56 converter - no go there.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'd ask Luton at MMR about it as they conquered the speed sensor issue with their sequential kit, so you know it can be done.

Under his kit listing it says
"Mustang S550 Output shaft Speed Sensor Trigger wheel and relocation kit."
Sponsored