Sponsored

It's coming faster than you think. Gas on way out.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Suddenly a self driving car doesn't have to do its own navigation, just object avoidance (speed control).
we could do that today. Line multi-lane highways with jersey walls. then have a quarter mile of 'open' before the next mile long stretch of jersey wall. That way the Teslas would stay in their lane. Hmm on second thought, it would probably 100x the number of Teslas that aim directly for the end cap and destroy the car and likely the occupants.

Yes, yes, I can well imaging the carnage as too many people try to 'mix it up' in the limited gaps they have to maneuver.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Is it just me but doesn't everyone see the future?

Hear me out. So we all go electric. They still burn something or produce something bad in most areas to make electricity. Population is growing so all we did was stave off for some duration so the population grows and now even electric is not good enough. Pollution is pollution regardless where it comes from. Now, if you say all power plants must be zero emissions, how do you get the materials without emissions? too many things still need to burn something to make materials. Granted, if all they make is zero emission hydroelectric, tidal, wind electric producing plants, it will take a lot longer to get back to a bad situation but it will still happen with our current population growth rate.

The only way to really save the planet is to change how we do things now and keep them changed forever.

For example:
1. Companies can save 20% fuel usage today by mandating a day a week of working from home. That is immediate without any technology change. Eventually require % of employment be telecommuters.
2. Population reduction - we need to reduce the human footprint. If you want US funds and jobs, we will only give them to population declining countries. Taxes are a wonderful incentive. Government mandated like what china did. If we reduce the population ourselves or mother nature will do it for us. If we keep growing, mother nature is already making super bugs that we are having a harder time fighting. We will have a Black plague like situation except instead of it being just Europe, it will be global. Tell me how much a reduction in carbon will happen if 2/3 of the planet dies off? Horrible, I know but either mother nature reduces the species or we do. Less people, less food, less production less fuel usage.
3. Reduce new housing in already over polluted areas - do not allow the areas near big cities to grow. They can hire telecommuters to work. Require larger housing lots. The bigger the property, the less people per sq mile. Less people, less pollution - up to a point. Need to find the perfect metric since if the properties get too big it will just make those who live there drive further. Then go back to #1. Make companies adopt telecommuting.
4. Recycling - if recycling really reduces emissions, it has to be adopted strictly on everything regardless of cost. My town stopped collecting glass because it was too costly to be recycled. This among other things have also been stopped. What is more costly, the planet dying or the cost to recycle?

I am sure we can find lots of things that we can do now to reduce the carbon footprint. I think cars are the easy low hanging fruit to stave off the tree huggers and make it seem like government cares. Also, it is cost effective and will boost the economy. Reducing the carbon footprint should not be tied to money. It should be tied to living. Why do they treat drinking water? Because it is a necessity of life. So is maintaining a minimal carbon footprint.

To me, Electric cars are only delaying the issue. We need long term solutions.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only way to really save the planet
There is no "science" that definitively supports the assertion the planet needs saving.

1. Companies can save 20% fuel usage today by mandating a day a week of working from home. That is immediate without any technology change. Eventually require % of employment be telecommuters.
you're a "knowledge worker" obviously. (as am I) I've been working from home 5/5 for 2 months because I blew out my knee in a silly incident. Let me reach around and pat myself on the back... Now how is the cashier going to work from home? The teller, the mechanic, the assembly line worker building your Mustang, the guy driving a forklift in a warehouse?

2. Population reduction ... Government mandated like what china did.
Yes let us white people vote to kill a bunch of poor brown people because one they breed like rabbits, have lower IQ, pollute like nobody's business (China and India) and live in abject squalor. Mao is smiling. Ask China how that 1-child program is doing and how it royally F'd their demographics.

I have the same answer every time this "solution" is proposed - you first. I'll hand you the gun and a hollow point. It's only right. You want to kill humans to "save the planet" lead the way by expressing your free will to off yourself. We will of course charge your survivors for the natual gas needed to reduce your meat bag to ash (90 minutes at full blast) or for the diesel needed to transport your carcass to the land fill and the diesel to run the D8 dozer to dig the mass grave and layer the dirt on top. K? On second thought, we'll hand you the shovel to dig your portion of the mass grave and then hand you the gun. Haven't we seen this before? Oh yeah, Pol Pot, the Nazis, and Berkeley's favorite Chavez. Righteous, stand up men, all.

BTW we already practice "population control" extensively - abortion.

4. Recycling - if recycling really reduces emissions, it has to be adopted strictly on everything regardless of cost.
yes and recycling doesn't cost energy either. The laws of thermodynamics and economics might bend, might be ignored for a time but they ALWAYS come back and bite with a vengence.

To me, Electric cars are only delaying the issue.
agreed they are not going to move the needle despite the incessant hype. You want more electric car adoption get the price down so more people can afford them.
We need long term solutions.
we need fewer people (looking at you Greta the eco-c*nt) showing their abject ignorance and advocating for "if only the smart people were allowed to decree what was good for everybody..." Go read a distopian novel or two. And try to think about what "unintended consequences" means.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The planet will be here long after all the people are gone. There's no need to save the planet.

We should be concerned with saving the people. These "green" policies cost way too much money and they hurt us. New cars cost too much and the increasing regulations are going to make them cost even more. If you relax all these regulations almost everyone could afford a new car. The car companies would do awesome instead of struggling. More people would have jobs building cars... Everyone wins.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The planet will be here long after all the people are gone. There's no need to save the planet.
actually the Chinese might be doing us all a favor with their little virus bug. We just need to spread it to places where sanitation is as bad or worse and medical care is non-existent. Just think happy thoughts as you lie in your bed suffocating to death "I'm doing it for my fellow man. Thank you bio-weapons lab level 4".

Someone said "if anyone succeeds in destroying the environment, it'll be by the hand of the environmentalists". I concur.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Renewables are the only solution that provides the electricity we all need in the future.
That includes hydro-electric, wind, solar, etc. We need to get away from “burning” anything.
Here in San Antonio, our local power company just shut down one of its two massive coal fired plants. The second will be shut down in a few years. CPS Energy has been investing in solar and wind to replace them. Here in TX, wind generated electricity has surpassed coal as the state looks to phase out coal.
That’s why you hear “renewables” are the current push. It’s working here. It will take a while, but we have to keep pushing.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Renewables are the only solution that provides the electricity we all need in the future.
That includes hydro-electric, wind, solar, etc. We need to get away from “burning” anything.
Here in San Antonio, our local power company just shut down one of its two massive coal fired plants. The second will be shut down in a few years. CPS Energy has been investing in solar and wind to replace them. Here in TX, wind generated electricity has surpassed coal as the state looks to phase out coal.
That’s why you hear “renewables” are the current push. It’s working here. It will take a while, but we have to keep pushing.
If they have fixed solar and wind energy where they actually generate more electricity than is required to build and maintain them - that's great. The last I heard both solar and wind weren't good enough yet. They are still both loser technologies.

Shutting down coal plants? Hopefully you guys don't turn into the next California down there. I always thought the people of Texas had a lot of common sense. Maybe too many imports from the failing state of California bringing their failed liberal policies with them. They think California sucks so they move but then they want to turn Texas into the next failing state.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
good on them. Just let us know when it's night and the wind stops blowing, k?
The wind never stops blowing in Texas! :like:

If you haven’t seen those massive wind farms in west and now central Texas, they are most impressive.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they have fixed solar and wind energy where they actually generate more electricity than is required to build and maintain them - that's great. The last I heard both solar and wind weren't good enough yet. They are still both loser technologies.

Shutting down coal plants? Hopefully you guys don't turn into the next California down there. I always thought the people of Texas had a lot of common sense. Maybe too many imports from the failing state of California bringing their failed liberal policies with them. They think California sucks so they move but then they want to turn Texas into the next failing state.
You may find this hard to believe, but Texas is a very progressive state. Moving to renewables (statewide) is just one aspect. We may not have an income tax, but our property taxes and sales taxes are some of the highest in the country to make up for it.
We know we have infrastructure shortfalls, so toll roads are the new normal. Gotta have the money to pay for them since gas taxes aren’t paid by electric cars. And we get to drive 80 or 85 MPH on them! So as I drive to the track in Austin, I get to do it at 80 (or so)...

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Rubber bands man, rubber bands is where the future is....

Giant industrial sized rubber bands - that when mechanically twisted/cranked will propel a vehicle (land, water or air) for miles and miles before it needs to be twisted again.

No batteries to waste, no fuel to use and no emissions. It works on regenerative energy...

:giggle:

DevilDocAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V6 but it’s neato
Not looking forward to my new neighbors being an EV driving Vegan who just got home from
crossfit.

I’ll be driving my smelly old 3 pedal gas car as long as I can.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Great video.
I don't think gas engines are going away so fast.