Sponsored

It's coming faster than you think. Gas on way out.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Microsoft just recently announced they plan to be carbon negative in about 15 years.
that's "easy" if talking campus buildings and corporate cloud farms. When they can show carbon-neutral/neg when factoring in all their employee's footprints and all their suppliers making deliveries or servicing the campus (and all the food stuffs they provide) THEN we're talking.

Agree the "oil" companies are all about owning the totality of energy. Behind every unit of GDP is a unit of energy. Now they don't want to lose money hand over fist but if there's money to be made, they'll bit hip deep in it. What's funny is the guys who make bank consistently are the guys who supply valves.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Yay, More Gas For Me!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
And what about all the other equipment such as my company which uses everything from weed trimmers to skid steers? I'd like to see them create a battery to power an excavator
There will have to be exceptions. The cost will probably rise for fuel and availability might suck. But EVs will not plow a field soon or do construction work.
Guys, let me lay my cards on the table - I like cars, I like mustangs, Iā€™m buying my first V8 i.e. please donā€™t think Iā€™m all blinkered with EV stuff ... lol

But, I think you are wrong. I work for a battery company and know that JCB and another major euro truck maker have now launched electric into the construction industry. Yes, itā€™s smaller stuff, but itā€™s also the thin end of the wedge.

Kalmar also has some very large capacity trucks available, which only a few years ago people wouldnā€™t have thought trucks of that capacity would ever go electric ...

Will electric replace everything ? I donā€™t think so, but itā€™s capable of far more than most will give it credit for.

WD :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Kalmar also has some very large capacity trucks available, which only a few years ago people wouldnā€™t have thought trucks of that capacity would ever go electric ...
where you have out-back or layover workloads, you can design for electric. yard engines/trucks can be electric just as long as they last the requisite shift. I suspect the increase of electric will coincide with replacing purchase with leasing. Battery packs will require replacement and that'll be baked into the lease rates. And the world economy takes another step deeper into the cesspool (some say prison) of rentier finance.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your right.

Leasing is on the rise over here and battery life is being matched to the lease of the truck (either by the battery manufacturer looking at the application and offering extended warranty or by increasing battery ratio and building it into the lease cost).

I understand lease rates on electric are much cheaper than IC due to reduced maintenance etc and the lease decision is now influenced heavily by total cost of ownership.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Those countries that have little to no petroleum reserves will be the first to phase out gas engines when they can (much of Europe, Japan, etc.). They already have very high gas taxes to entice folks to not use gas powered vehicles. Those areas with pollution issues will follow (LA, China, etc.).
Itā€™s a logical progression of technology applied to issues of the day. Not saying electric power will be the final answer, but petro-burning vehicles will eventually go the way of dinosaurs. Just a matter of when.
Think again, that is just to get you hooked. Once they have you, WHAM-O.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/17/ioni...hicle-charging-prices-500-percent-january-31/

IONITY increases electric vehicle charging prices 500% starting January 31

THIS is just the beginning.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know the rationale of the price hike aside from the initial hit of electric car drug was "free". What I suspect happened was all the subsidies came off (in-house or gov't) and now staring economic hardship in the face, the bean counters said enough with the market distortions, every installation has to pay for itself. wala, installation cost, depreciation, maintenance, replacement is now baked into the per watt charge. It's the unforgiving law of economics asserting itself. What will happen is that people will stay within home/office charging radius and only use the stations for topping up when on the road. If the IONITY network is making money hand over fist, a competitor will come along and try to steal away all that cash.

Everything Tesla does is worthless as a comparative metric. They are a cash furnace and should have been bankrupted several times over by now. If their charging network had to sustain itself I reckon we'd see a significant hike as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Guys, let me lay my cards on the table - I like cars, I like mustangs, Iā€™m buying my first V8 i.e. please donā€™t think Iā€™m all blinkered with EV stuff ... lol

But, I think you are wrong. I work for a battery company and know that JCB and another major euro truck maker have now launched electric into the construction industry. Yes, itā€™s smaller stuff, but itā€™s also the thin end of the wedge.

Will electric replace everything ? I donā€™t think so, but itā€™s capable of far more than most will give it credit for.

I don't have anything against electric cars or electric anything. It's just that the industry is symbolic of government over-reach and corruption.

Hopefully at sometime in the future it will be possible to "refuel" an electric car in a minute or two like a gas car and the batteries will last for hundreds of thousands of miles like gas cars do. When those things happen - and if a car like that can perform similarly to a gas engine car and cost the same or less, then and only then will I consider an electric car. Right now the only reason to consider an electric car is if you think they are somehow better for the environment than a gas engine car and you are willing to sacrifice convenience for "saving the world".

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
I don't have anything against electric cars or electric anything. It's just that the industry is symbolic of government over-reach and corruption.".
Itā€™s not overreach and corruption. Itā€™s what smart lawmakers do to incentivize people to do the right thing. Some lawmakers do have a vision on what issues lie ahead for society and start to work solutions to those issues. Sure, there are bumps along the way, and some technologies or solutions donā€™t work out. But some lawmakers are also dumber than a rock and only work to serve their $$ sponsors.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Itā€™s not overreach and corruption. Itā€™s what smart lawmakers do to incentivize people to do the right thing. Some lawmakers do have a vision on what issues lie ahead for society and start to work solutions to those issues. Sure, there are bumps along the way, and some technologies or solutions donā€™t work out. But some lawmakers are also dumber than a rock and only work to serve their $$ sponsors.
Electric is not the right thing in my opinion. Do you feel guilty driving your Mustangs? So why do you own them?

Did you agree with the banning incandescent light bulbs thing too? Ethanol?

Green is big $$ nowadays and that's where most of the political "sponsors" as you choose to call them are spending the money to bribe politicians. That's the whole reason why electric is being pushed. It doesn't really work, it isn't good for the environment and it costs too much. But someone's going to get a kickback for making you buy it. And enough people buy into the concept of electric being green that it might work.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
I thought this was a pretty good breakdown of ICE vs. electric, and the reasons why ICE isn't going away anytime soon:
Very good video. Lays it out in a technical review.
As an engineer, I tend to think of it as an energy storage problem. There are several ways to store energy: gas, batteries, ethanol, hydrogen, flywheels, etc.
Every engineering solution always comes down to cost, schedule and performance; and now the environment is becoming a significant factor.
Today, gas powered vehicles are the most practical. As time goes on, better energy storage systems will come along. To me, batteries seem to be in the ā€œtoo hard to doā€ pile. But they have their place.
We need to find those dilithium crystals.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
except when there's a core breach it'll wipe the continent off the earth's surface. My uncle used to drive tankers of highly explosive materials down I95. Paid well but he said if he had an accident and the payload went up the highway and any overheads would be gone.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Very good video. Lays it out in a technical review.
As an engineer, I tend to think of it as an energy storage problem. There are several ways to store energy: gas, batteries, ethanol, hydrogen, flywheels, etc.
Every engineering solution always comes down to cost, schedule and performance; and now the environment is becoming a significant factor.
Today, gas powered vehicles are the most practical. As time goes on, better energy storage systems will come along. To me, batteries seem to be in the ā€œtoo hard to doā€ pile. But they have their place.
I've always been an advocate of electrified highways. Think slot-cars.

Maybe keep a small battery that you can charge on the slot while driving long distances in the same lane so when you leave the slot to change lanes or negotiate an interchange you still have power. For some vehicles this would be enough. Other vehicles would get an ICE as well to use off-highway. On-highway they could choose the cheapest/cleanest energy source.

This would also go a long way toward the self-driving car. If you have powered slots, you can also have communication in them, and like railroad tracks, you don't really have options on the direction you go. Suddenly a self driving car doesn't have to do its own navigation, just object avoidance (speed control).
Sponsored