Sponsored

Is using a wiretap on rear view mirror OK?

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
I was wanting to hard wire my radar to the car, and a lot of the posts talk about using the power at the mirror.

Will using the wiretap on the harness damage it in anyway ? meaning stretch it causing the pins not to have a good connection if the tap is removed?

Is it easy to get the pins in the harness ? i bought the blendmount one (44.99!)
Sponsored

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
mines been wired that way with no issues for over a year

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No issues with doing it. The pins go in easy. I honestly tried doing it with a dash cam, but kept getting radio interference.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Any time you tap into a wire you create the potential for damaging the existing wire. That damage can vary in severity depending on the method used to tap it. At the very minimum the insulation will be damaged. Sometimes wire strands can be damaged as well.
When tapping into a wire try not to pull on it too much as they are just crimped in their factory connector. Be sure the tap you use will fit into the housing without pinching or binding.
If/when you remove the tap examine the wire and, at a minimum, tape up the insulation.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Any time you tap into a wire you create the potential for damaging the existing wire. That damage can vary in severity depending on the method used to tap it. At the very minimum the insulation will be damaged. Sometimes wire strands can be damaged as well.
When tapping into a wire try not to pull on it too much as they are just crimped in their factory connector. Be sure the tap you use will fit into the housing without pinching or binding.
If/when you remove the tap examine the wire and, at a minimum, tape up the insulation.
The Blendmount "wire" tap actually slips into the back side of a connector, nestling the pin on the tap between the female portions of the connector and the plastic connector body. It doesn't effect the insulation and doesn't need to be taped. I suppose it could take some of the spring out of the female portion of the connector over time, but as it comes with a few different size of pins that fit into the connector, that worry is pretty low.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Slyfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 mustang
I have had the Blendmount installed for 3 yrs and have not had one issue

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The Blendmount "wire" tap actually slips into the back side of a connector, nestling the pin on the tap between the female portions of the connector and the plastic connector body. It doesn't effect the insulation and doesn't need to be taped. I suppose it could take some of the spring out of the female portion of the connector over time, but as it comes with a few different size of pins that fit into the connector, that worry is pretty low.

Capture.PNG
Hmm, learned something new today, thanks. I'll have to look into those.
Once installed they're a good, solid connection? What about in a situation where the wiring is prone to movement like, say, on a Harley?

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
I've used blend mounts and mirror wiretaps for years w/o any issues.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I see now, it's a dedicated mount/wire harness/tap set up. Looks like a nice system as long as you don't mind having something hanging from the mirror.

To the OP, I would think the chances of removing the wire taps causing damage is pretty slim.

Now to see if I can come up with a way to make thos little taps myself. I can think of several ways they would be handy in other situations.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I see now, it's a dedicated mount/wire harness/tap set up. Looks like a nice system as long as you don't mind having something hanging from the mirror.
On mine, I used the connector that's behind the cover on the headliner behind the mirror, then ran the wire under the headliner edge until I popped it out right next to the detector. Looks just like the ones I had in my older cars that were run from the fuse block then hidden under the trim.

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
Thanks for the replies - I received the wiretap and installed it. Super easy install - As others pointed out, the wire tape "tongue" goes into the harness cavity for the positive and ground leads. Nothing is stretched or altered, it just rests between the harness wire and the plastic. Working great!
Sponsored