Is this the norm at dealerships?

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I owe a little under 25K so no negative equity there. I think it’s funny how they ran my credit then offered me 6.99. Then after I told them that number is a joke they came back with 3.99. I should’ve kept on haggling to see how low they would go instead of walking out. I should’ve also asked them if that is the apr and trade in value they would give to their grandma lol I bet they would’ve said yes..
LOL. copy that; yeah, dealers man... They really do not do themselves any favours to help rid themselves of the bad image they have. There are some great ones I've seen in my experience. VERY few and far between, though.
Sponsored

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
On a side note, the GM drives a R8

This seems like a lot of work and time. Why can’t dealers be like “here is the lowest apr and highest trade value we can give you and with that we get 1K as profit.” No haggling required.
Some do, you have to find the right ones. I guess it depends on the area. I think a lot of dealers in CA are learning. The ford dealer I got my R through spent a week trying to beat my outside financing, and also gave me the highest trade in value I found anywhere, explaining their cost/profit analysis in the process. I've never bought a car without an OTD price and everything agreed on over email before I even step foot inside, if they're not willing to do that they don't get my money. It's 2020 it's too easy to cross shop now and enough dealers are learning that it's not worth dealing with the bs ones.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This seems like a lot of work and time. Why can’t dealers be like “here is the lowest apr and highest trade value we can give you and with that we get 1K as profit.” No haggling required.
In your business do you try to just make the minimum profit? I know I sure don't. Remember, car dealers are businesses that have to turn a profit to stay open. If they can make 2K profit instead of 1K profit they will. Wouldn't you?

Doug

goodwrch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If you dont like their rate, and you are at 720, find your own financing, local credit unions usually have very competitive rates.

not sure how it is in Texas, but in Wisconsin you dont have to use their financing.

OP
OP
MustangCamaro

MustangCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
In your business do you try to just make the minimum profit? I know I sure don't. Remember, car dealers are businesses that have to turn a profit to stay open. If they can make 2K profit instead of 1K profit they will. Wouldn't you?

Doug
I understand it is a business but there is a fine line between profits and straight up scamming people. How much profit do you think they will make with a 6.99 apr and 30K for a 2019 Mustang? That they will at the least list for 37K minimum.. Way more than 2K for sure. I guess money is the root of all evil.
Not to mention the ridiculous reconditioning fee most dealers charge 3K+ for that is not worth anything near that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangCamaro

MustangCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
If you dont like their rate, and you are at 720, find your own financing, local credit unions usually have very competitive rates.

not sure how it is in Texas, but in Wisconsin you dont have to use their financing.
I have tried getting my own financing but in my experience the dealer can always beat it..

It looks like the best thing to do is wait until the manufacturer offers 0% and buy new.

OP
OP
MustangCamaro

MustangCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Some do, you have to find the right ones. I guess it depends on the area. I think a lot of dealers in CA are learning. The ford dealer I got my R through spent a week trying to beat my outside financing, and also gave me the highest trade in value I found anywhere, explaining their cost/profit analysis in the process. I've never bought a car without an OTD price and everything agreed on over email before I even step foot inside, if they're not willing to do that they don't get my money. It's 2020 it's too easy to cross shop now and enough dealers are learning that it's not worth dealing with the bs ones.
Sounds nice. Hopefully Texas will catch on soon. I feel like in these times, a better business model would be to have repeat customers and referrals from satisfied customers.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Yes I know 0% are usually manufacturer offers for new cars. Is it possible to get in the 1-2% ranges for used cars?
I got a 3% range on a used Mustang but that was last year.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Honestly the haggling and dickering does not bother me so much. I just always accepted it as part of the BS game. What bothers me is blatant scammy BS they do. 160 dollars for nitrogen fill tires, 400 for tinted window I can get done for 150, Bs made up useless security crap that does nothing like etching or security micro dots they charge 900 for. Or the OEM packages of locking lugs, touch up paint, trunk liners and all weather mats that would cost 200 if you bought them and they charge 700 plus for them.

OP
OP
MustangCamaro

MustangCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Honestly the haggling and dickering does not bother me so much. I just always accepted it as part of the BS game. What bothers me is blatant scammy BS they do. 160 dollars for nitrogen fill tires, 400 for tinted window I can get done for 150, Bs made up useless security crap that does nothing like etching or security micro dots they charge 900 for. Or the OEM packages of locking lugs, touch up paint, trunk liners and all weather mats that would cost 200 if you bought them and they charge 700 plus for them.
Yup I can relate. I remember a couple years back, the dealer was charging a 4K reconditioning on a car with less than 6K miles. I’m like really bro and when I asked them to show me the papers of what they did for the reconditioning they suddenly lost the paperwork..

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Dealers get kickbacks from banks on higher interest rates. That's why they do that, they hope you won't care or know that you could do better. Just straight profit for them.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
In Jeep Forums, we call it Stealership, but you can apply the term to all makes.

I hate Honda dealers the most. I don't own one. I wouldn't consider an Acura either. Aren't they the same brand house?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Dealers get kickbacks from banks on higher interest rates. That's why they do that, they hope you won't care or know that you could do better. Just straight profit for them.
Indeed. But just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. In my case, salesman told me to wait 2 months to pay off the loan so they could get their kickback from Ford. After seeing how much they charged me, it backfired, because I paid it off in less than a month, so they probably got nothing. You typically never see that attitude in Europe or Canada. Even when they could, they rarely overcharge anybody. They're happy to sell off their hotels, cars, etc. Here, the least indication that demand is higher than supply (be it a concert, race, hotel rooms, etc), let's rip customers off because we can. That's why many wealthy folks I know never go to F1 races here; they actually pay less to go to Montreal, or even Europe. I only went once, and just because my brother paid for the hotel (4 Seasons), along with his Ferrari buddies.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Find a Credit Union and you’ll get a much better APR... and some even have no hassle dealings with dealerships.

The Dealership is getting a kick back on the loan they are going to sign you to - that’s how it works. Funny how they went from 6.99% to 3.99% - probably could have even got a 2.99% if you complained more.... so then you ask yourself, why didn’t they do the 2.99% from the start? Because they’re getting a fatter kick back at 6.99% and most people just go “ok” and sign the paperwork without questioning the rates or what is being pushed in their faces.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer interest rates thru their banks (much of it is added points by the dealership) are irrelevant if you have good credit. Most people with good credit take the shitty rates just to make the deal go smoother and refinance immediately afterwards anyways through a credit union or bank.
Sponsored