Is this pricing fair?

OP
OP

Trellevate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would be doing headers/flex/tune/dyno. There's 3 images showing the breakdown in pricing

Nwagtmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
I think the price for header install is fair. The rest of thet I am not sure. Where inoive labor rate is between 130 to 200 an hour. 200 an hour is at Ford dealership. The rest of the stuff I have no idea. For that total price , I would rather spend another 2k for a supercharger plus labor. However this is your car. Not mine. For me 5k is not worth the performance gain. Have you shipped around? The flip side is you get what you pay for. I would not want to go with a cheap mechanic, and have the engine blown due to poor install or tuning.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Would be doing headers/flex/tune/dyno. There's 3 images showing the breakdown in pricing

Do you have $5,584.41 burning a hole in your pocket? Then do it.

There is no such thing as "fair" pricing.

OP
OP

Trellevate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm asking if the pricing is competitive. If it's a fair price for the work done compared to what others have seen/paid.

What was the point in this reply? Lmao

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'm asking if the pricing is competitive. If it's a fair price for the work done compared to what others have seen/paid.

What was the point in this reply? Lmao
What one person pays in one part of the country, can be very different from what another pays elsewhere. You need to get prices from other places in YOUR area.

So....again....there is not such thing as "fair" pricing. There is local going rates for labor.

OP
OP

Trellevate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, and this is the only reputable place in my area that I'd even consider getting work done at.

I highly doubt the cost is going to differ THAT much. Except for specific extremely expensive areas. Lot easier to post here and see what other people have seen price wise than getting full quotes from a bunch of places I won't be using.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yes, and this is the only reputable place in my area that I'd even consider getting work done at.
Then you either pay that price, or you don't get those mods done.

Again..."fair" has nothing to do with this. Since this is the only place you'll consider doing the work, it's simply a matter of whether or not it's worth it to you.

What anyone else has paid is completely immaterial. If you want those mods, it's $5,584.41 to you. That gives you a "yes or no" question to answer. No one here can make it for you.

OP
OP

Trellevate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
bud are you defective? I should have known you had some issues the second you stated there's no such thing as fair pricing lol if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, feel free to quit commenting.

Fuck me for trying to see if the pricing is consistent with what other people are paying.

OP
OP

Trellevate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think the price for header install is fair. The rest of thet I am not sure. Where inoive labor rate is between 130 to 200 an hour. 200 an hour is at Ford dealership. The rest of the stuff I have no idea. For that total price , I would rather spend another 2k for a supercharger plus labor. However this is your car. Not mine. For me 5k is not worth the performance gain. Have you shipped around? The flip side is you get what you pay for. I would not want to go with a cheap mechanic, and have the engine blown due to poor install or tuning.
Yeah, they initially quoted me 3300 for the headers/install/tune which seemed normal but adding the flex fuel took it up over $5k which blew my mind

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Fuck me for trying to see if the pricing is consistent with what other people are paying.
Maybe some other time... 😁

Seriously, it's a very complete and comprehensive estimate that covers everything you need to consider. Good shops charge higher labor rates, but you get what you pay for. If I was interested in those upgrades, I wouldn't consider the price unreasonable.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Kona is a "provocateur".

Those numbers seem fair, and if you have ever done a set of headers on a S550, you definitely would think that part of the pricing for that is fair. That being said, headers on an NA set-up is the absolute last thing to spend money on, unless you are dead set on having them. The stock headers and cats on these cars will support waaaay more HP than a "full bolt on" NA car is capable of making. Save that money and use it for something else you want.

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang
Seems fair other than you are being charged twice for draining fuel and twice for tune.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
considering how many people have done LTH and regretted it because of the obnoxious noise, I'd ask myself why. If you're not going to FI then I wouldn't do the mods at all.

If your E85 is plentiful and cheap, and if the stock pump can't keep up (really? for NA?) then forget the BAP and just replace the pump+hat with one with a check-valve equipped bigger unit from the usual suspects.

Shop labor seems rather steep considering you're in Kansas instead of metro DC/Chicago/Houston.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Kona is a "provocateur".

Those numbers seem fair, and if you have ever done a set of headers on a S550, you definitely would think that part of the pricing for that is fair. That being said, headers on an NA set-up is the absolute last thing to spend money on, unless you are dead set on having them. The stock headers and cats on these cars will support waaaay more HP than a "full bolt on" NA car is capable of making. Save that money and use it for something else you want.
Do I need to post the S550 header meme again? LOL.
Sponsored