OP
OP
MMApex

MMApex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP GT
The tires are nearly 4 years old. With higher performance comes more care requirements. I don't think that 4 years for micro cracking to appear is anything to be concerned about. Drive them until you feel there is a performance or safety drop or just replace them now for the peace of mind. That is just the way it is for those of us who don't keep our cars garaged.
Thanks. All new to me!
Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Dang, 4 years old. Clearly you do not do Mustang things on public streets, by crowds of people LOL
Nope.

Every day that I do not have to have a conversation with law enforcement is a good day. I respect them and the public. That is why I am going to the track.

Almost any car will spin the tires, and many will make smoke. Everyone is able to endanger the public if they are so inclined. From what I have seen on the interweb, I am not very impressed. However, if that is what one would consider skilled driving, OK. I prescribe to "You do you and I will do me". Does not infer that I am any better, just what I have a preference for.

Anyway, Be safe out there.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
Is this cracking dry rot? Concerning? Normal? Not sure what I am looking at.

Tires are original, delivered April 2019... under 8k miles... car does not get a lot of action unfortunately.

Only on the fronts.

PXL_20220923_204751252.MP.jpg

PXL_20220923_204754343.jpg

PXL_20220923_204757233.jpg
One track day @28psi should take care of it for ya.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Is this cracking dry rot? Concerning? Normal? Not sure what I am looking at.

Tires are original, delivered April 2019... under 8k miles... car does not get a lot of action unfortunately.

Only on the fronts.

PXL_20220923_204751252.MP.jpg

PXL_20220923_204754343.jpg

PXL_20220923_204757233.jpg
Damn, that looks like my hands in wintertime.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; What i see in the photo is very minor. Minor in both severity of the cracking and where it is located. Looks like the working edge of the tire where it will roll over onto the shoulder a little in a corner. No cracking on the sidewall I could see.

Here is where I differ from the more accepted dogma about tires. I have run car and truck tires over ten years many times. The outer sidewall will have some light cracking over that time especially if the vehicle is left outside. Here is a story. I have a boat trailer with 4.80 by 12 inch tires. I put new tires on back in 1999 when I was pulling the boat around 500 miles to NC. I am still using those tires. I'll be it I only run about 25 miles to Norris lake. I have two spare tire/wheels I carry as i do expect them to fail at some point.

That outside appearance is not as important as the inside of the tires. The tire pictured looks fine. Also if it was made in 2018 it is only four years old.

I had a customer who drove around on tires sometimes approaching 20 + years old. He had too many cars and let them sit a lot. He would not replace a tire if it had tread left. I do not know of him ever having a blowout. The old tires looked awful but did not fail. He did ruin a few older tires by letting them sit for years while flat. Thing is they would fill with air and sort of roll. I did talk him into replacing those. It was more the thumping as we rode along.

I bought my current pickup new in 2004 and finally replaced the tires around four years ago. So ran them about fourteen years. They never failed, only wore down the tread and the rubber got a bit harder. I am retired so some years only put 2000 or 3000 miles on the truck. Hauled some loads in the last years of the service.

All that said I cannot tell you the pictured tire is fine from my computer screen. If that slight bit of crinkling at the edge of the tread is the only concern, I would use the tire(s). Maybe not race with them. ( maybe I would) A tire only four years old and looks good everywhere else with plenty of tread left??? But do what feels best to you and good luck.
Sponsored