Sponsored

Is it a real Shelby? Interesting update

jma406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350,1962 406 S/S,64 Falcon B/FX, BOSS KK1215
Is it this weekend or next? I may try to make the trip
The show is May 22. I heard Ford is going to have a semi trailer there, don't know what that is all about.
Sponsored

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
The dealer who I just got my R from had a least 4-5 of the new Shelby GTs on their lot with some being convertible and hardtops. For one, I flat out dont like what they have done to the car asthetically. Just seems they are trying to hard to one up the 350 and are actually going backwards in their process. Secondly, the prices on these cars were anywhere from $90-100k! When i was in there picking up my car, all of their sales people said they would take my R or a regular 350 for that matter over any Shelby on their lot.

As we all know, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I feel the new 350 just hit it out of the park on all levels.

Last night i had to have a MB tech come to my house and I opened my garage and he was like, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!? We proceeded to talk about it for 30 min and he was like I have seen some of the craziest cars here in town but nothing like that. Enough said.

:ford:

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
One thing is for sure. Resale is a whole lot better because of the word Shelby on it.

I think it is a shelby.

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yeah...

I see the GT500 and GT350 as more a product of SVT more than anything Shelby is remotely responsible for. Ford likely only needed Shelby for the licensing of a iconic name.

There isnt anything, mustang related, Shelby America does that impresses me anymore.

The SVT cars like the 95 and 00 Cobra R's set the stage. The 03/04 Terminator set up the events to come with the GT500. It could have simply been another Cobra and been every bit as good, I kinda wish the simple Cobra name had stayed.

/edit

Also not a fan of the way Shelby went after companies like Factory Five. The demand was there and he pissed all over everything in an attempt to mark his territory.
A couple of comments on your post. I wont disagree with you much except that, Carroll had input with Ford Engineers, and, he used it. When they changed the location on the snake on the 13/14 cars, that actually asked if it was OK. The larger tires on the 07 cars is because of Carroll. Does it mean Carroll was a major part? No, it means he oversaw some part of the program. Carroll went after what he created, nothing more, nothing less. Not sure why that is hard to understand. One other fact, Jim Owens is the Shelby Marketing Manager for Ford. He worked for Carroll and understood him well.

Lastly, I posted this because some people like to have facts on their car. Others don't care, I get that. I was just putting out a fact

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sometimes ideas and philosophies (when followed through and executed well) are almost more important than the actual build.

The '65 GT350 was a lot more similar to a standard Mustang GT IMO than a 2015/16 GT350 is to the Mustang GT now. The changes in '65 were very minor.

The concept of using a FPC engine in a Ford - and making it the largest displacement FPC ever.. now that is huge.

I choose to believe that Shelby had a significant impact on Ford going out of the box on this car. Either way, the car is very special and deserves a special name. Frankly I have nothing but respect and admiration for Shelby. He was a man and imperfect as we all are. I feel Ford and all of us are lucky that Shelby is part of our history.

Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Just my opinion,,,,, Shelbys have been built from California to Michigan to Las Vegas, and now in Flat Rock. It's a Shelby inside and out. Does it matter to me some will disagree, NO. Like said in another quote call it a Cobra, GT350, call it what you will the car is a very special automobile.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Now that Ford Racing is gone I really enjoy wearing my Ford Racing shirt to a few events as it is now a collectors item.
My matching pair of mint Ford Motorsport fender covers (which I still use) are cooler. :D

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
"Cobras" are actual sub models though. The Termi for instance is the Mustang Cobra. The 2000 super limited track rat was a Cobra R. Cobra is definitive. The Shelby "word" is also definitive once you finish the name. It's like saying certain Corvettes were "Z's." What the eff are you talking about? Z what? Z06? ZR1? Those are actual sub models by the way. Z51 for instance is an option name, not a sub model name. "Performance Pack" is to "Z51" as "Z06" is to "Cobra."

Cobra isn't a way to identify all special Mustangs nor is the word "Shelby." A Cobra is a Cobra. A "Shelby" is incomplete until you finish it. "Shelby" what? 350? 390? 500?

Just for laughs, I have not a clue what a "Shelby Cobra GT500 KR Super Snake 1000" is. Yes I have heard someone say that.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
The Shelby GT350 is way beyond anything Shelby American in Vegas could possibly make - their superchargers and bodykits are neat sure but let's get real.

I'd imagine the Shelby team in Vegas is honored to have their name included on one of the greatest sports coupe money can buy.

And who the hell is Franky ?

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol the Shelby America cars are pure eyesores
I didn't want to say - but you're right.

Those GT500 "SuperSnake" packages were some of the most gaudy, cheesy and terrible performing cars i'd ever seen. The price was pure comedy.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Sometimes ideas and philosophies (when followed through and executed well) are almost more important than the actual build.

The '65 GT350 was a lot more similar to a standard Mustang GT IMO than a 2015/16 GT350 is to the Mustang GT now. The changes in '65 were very minor.

With all due respect the '65 GT350 and the '65 Mustang were tremendously different and possibly even more so than with the new 2015/2016 GT350 versus the same Mustang GT in my opinion.

I have owned a '65 Mustang 2+2 K code and have been in my buddies '65 GT350 and these two cars are worlds apart from a performance and build standpoint.

I could list at least 10 significant differences between these two cars and those differences are the reason that the '65 GT350 is by far the most valuable of all regular production Shelby's.

Having said that, I certainly respect where you are going overall but the changes in a '65 GT350 were in fact not minor but significant to say the least.

Carroll and his team of Pete Brock, Klaus Arning, Chuck Cantwell, Ken Miles, Jerry Titus, Jerry Schwartz, Lew Spencer and others went overboard on the '65 Shelby GT350 and especially on the 37 R models that they ultimately built as well.

:cheers:

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes

With all due respect the '65 GT350 and the '65 Mustang were tremendously different and possibly even more so than with the new 2015/2016 GT350 versus the same Mustang GT in my opinion.

I have owned a '65 Mustang 2+2 K code and have been in my buddies '65 GT350 and these two cars are worlds apart from a performance and build standpoint.

I could list at least 10 significant differences between these two cars and those differences are the reason that the '65 GT350 is by far the most valuable of all regular production Shelby's.

Having said that, I certainly respect where you are going overall but the changes in a '65 GT350 were in fact not minor but significant to say the least.

Carroll and his team of Pete Brock, Klaus Arning, Chuck Cantwell, Ken Miles, Jerry Titus, Jerry Schwartz, Lew Spencer and others went overboard on the '65 Shelby GT350 and especially on the 37 R models that they ultimately built as well.

You've got to be kidding. Certainly no disrespect to the original, a great car for it's time. But seriously, lets list the differences:

This is comparing the street GT350...

1965-
Interior: gauge pod, steering wheel, belts.
Chassis: relocate stock control arms, new springs, shocks, sway bar, override traction bars.
Engine: intake, carb, headers, side exhaust, valve covers.
Exterior: hood, wheels and tires.

2015-
Interior: gauge pod, seats, steering wheel, pedals.
Chassis: shocks, wider front track, sway bar, half shafts, knuckles, springs,etc....
Engine: ALL OF IT!!! and Transmission,shifter and Drive Shaft.
Exterior: hood, fenders, front bumper, rear valence, rear spoiler, ground effects, wheels and tires.

So how is the '65 Shelby tremendously different from it's GT brother when compared to the 2015???:headbonk:

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The 2016 GT350 is a complete supercar in comparison to the regular Mustang GT. Not sure I can say the same about the original 1965 GT350.

The new GT350 does share the same headlights as the regular Mustang (except they sit 2 inches lower in the body) - that's about all they have in common.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Coming from my track prepped Ecoboost with all the goodies you could imagine I just laugh when people compare the standard S550 to the Shelby.

Forgetting the motor for a second the car handles extremely well.
Sponsored