Sponsored

Is it a real Shelby? Interesting update

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Coming from my track prepped Ecoboost with all the goodies you could imagine I just laugh when people compare the standard S550 to the Shelby.

Forgetting the motor for a second the car handles extremely well.

It would be like me comparing my Porsche Carrera S to a GT3....totally different league...not even close.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You've got to be kidding. Certainly no disrespect to the original, a great car for it's time. But seriously, lets list the differences:

This is comparing the street GT350...

1965-
Interior: gauge pod, steering wheel, belts.
Chassis: relocate stock control arms, new springs, shocks, sway bar, override traction bars.
Engine: intake, carb, headers, side exhaust, valve covers.
Exterior: hood, wheels and tires.

2015-
Interior: gauge pod, seats, steering wheel, pedals.
Chassis: shocks, wider front track, sway bar, half shafts, knuckles, springs,etc....
Engine: ALL OF IT!!! and Transmission,shifter and Drive Shaft.
Exterior: hood, fenders, front bumper, rear valence, rear spoiler, ground effects, wheels and tires.

So how is the '65 Shelby tremendously different from it's GT brother when compared to the 2015???:headbonk:
Just to be clear are the above list of changes that you provided for the 1965 GT350 are these the differences in comparison to a 1965 Mustang GT?

:shrug:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Having said that, I certainly respect where you are going overall but the changes in a '65 GT350 were in fact not minor but significant to say the least.
:cheers:
I gotta say you would know better than I. I certainly haven't owned or driven either car. I have however seen lists of the differences in the '65 cars and most of them are typical backyard bolt-on mods. Maybe it's because the car is 50 years old that I don't appreciate how impressive those mods were at the time.

You've got to be kidding. Certainly no disrespect to the original, a great car for it's time. But seriously, lets list the differences:

1965-
Chassis: relocate stock control arms, new springs, shocks, sway bar, override traction bars.

So how is the '65 Shelby tremendously different from it's GT brother when compared to the 2015???:headbonk:
This seems about right to me - with the rear seat delete being another bit and wasn't there a plexiglass rear window, detroit locker rear end.. I'm sure there are a few more things. I've done my fair amount of wrench turning, and I would have no problem at all converting a '65 GT into a vehicle that performs as well or better than a '65 Shelby without having exact specs. The only part I would need help on is the Shelby/Arning upper A arm drop. That bit is automotive engineering beyond the typical backyard guy's car knowledge. Now - in hindsight with instructions I can easily do the mod, but back in '65 with nothing but a '65 GT to work from I would not have known that it would improve the car's handling.

Contrast the new GT350 with an extremely unique engine, specific transmission, very unique brakes, carbon fiber bits!! Much more engineering intensive IMO.

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I gotta say you would know better than I. I certainly haven't owned or driven either car. I have however seen lists of the differences in the '65 cars and most of them are typical backyard bolt-on mods.

This seems about right to me - with the rear seat delete being another bit and wasn't there a plexiglass rear window, detroit locker rear end.. I'm sure there are a few more things. I've done my fair amount of wrench turning, and I would have no problem at all converting a '65 GT into a vehicle that performs as well or better than a '65 Shelby without having exact specs. The only part I would need help on is the Shelby/Arning upper A arm drop. That bit is automotive engineering beyond the typical backyard guy's car knowledge. Now - in hindsight with instructions I can easily do the mod, but back in '65 with nothing but a '65 GT to work from I would not have known that it would improve the car's handling.

Contrast the new GT350 with an extremely unique engine, specific transmission, very unique brakes, carbon fiber bits!! Much more engineering intensive IMO.
But, try doing that in 1965. And the plexi window was only in the R model I believe

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

1965-

2015-
Interior: gauge pod, seats, steering wheel, pedals.
Chassis: shocks, wider front track, sway bar, half shafts, knuckles, springs,etc....
Engine: ALL OF IT!!! and Transmission,shifter and Drive Shaft.
Exterior: hood, fenders, front bumper, rear valence, rear spoiler, ground effects, wheels and tires.

It was not my intent to suggest that the 2015 GT350 is not a tremendous vehicle compared to the 2015 Mustang GT as I full well know all about the differences since I have a 2015 GT350 and a 2016 GT350R and a 2017R scheduled to be built in a few weeks.

These new GT350's are nothing short of outstanding so don't think for one minute that I don't appreciate what I have in my garage.

I also know much about the many differences between the 1965 Mustang GT and the 1965 Shelby GT350 some of which you listed above but unfortunately you missed many other differences some of which are listed below and in no particular order with the first listed difference one of the big changes:

* Shelby American deleted the Ford VIN and replaced it with his own VIN
* Dash mounted horn toggle switch
* Fiberglas deck rear seat delete
* Shelby American mounted tire on the rear deck
* Battery relocated to the trunk
* Drive shaft safety loop
* Twin axle limiting cables connecting the rear axle to the frame
* Glas Pak mufflers
* Quicker steering ratio taken from a power steering box
* Detroit Locker 9" rear end
* 9 1/2" front disc brakes with station wagon rear drums with metallic linings
* Locking hood latch mechanism removed
* Cast aluminum Cobra extra capacity oil pan
* Fiberglas trunk lid in addition to the fiberglass hood
* Hood pins
* Prop rod for the hood versus usual spring hood support
* Locking hood latch removed
* 2 Piece 15 X 6 optional Cragar wheels
* Mustang horse fender emblem mounted on the left side of the grill mesh

I am sure I have missed a few more differences but I think you get my point.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
It was not my intent to suggest that the 2015 GT350 is not a tremendous vehicle compared to the 2015 Mustang GT as I full well know all about the differences since I have a 2015 GT350 and a 2016 GT350R and a 2017R scheduled to be built in a few weeks.

These new GT350's are nothing short of outstanding so don't think for one minute that I don't appreciate what I have in my garage.

I also know much about the many differences between the 1965 Mustang GT and the 1965 Shelby GT350 some of which you listed above but unfortunately you missed many other differences some of which are listed below and in no particular order with the first listed difference one of the big changes:

* Shelby American deleted the Ford VIN and replaced it with his own VIN
* Dash mounted horn toggle switch
* Fiberglas deck rear seat delete
* Shelby American mounted tire on the rear deck
* Battery relocated to the trunk
* Drive shaft safety loop
* Twin axle limiting cables connecting the rear axle to the frame
* Glas Pak mufflers
* Quicker steering ratio taken from a power steering box
* Detroit Locker 9" rear end
* 9 1/2" front disc brakes with station wagon rear drums with metallic linings
* Locking hood latch mechanism removed
* Cast aluminum Cobra extra capacity oil pan
* Fiberglas trunk lid in addition to the fiberglass hood
* Hood pins
* Prop rod for the hood versus usual spring hood support
* Locking hood latch removed
* 2 Piece 15 X 6 optional Cragar wheels
* Mustang horse fender emblem mounted on the left side of the grill mesh

I am sure I have missed a few more differences but I think you get my point.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff on the new Shelby as well. I was also comparing the street versions, not "R" models. Several items you list are R only... If pressed, I'm confident I can prove the new cars differ more from their Gt counterparts.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff on the new Shelby as well. I was also comparing the street versions, not "R" models. Several items you list are R only...

Really!

Such as what items??:shrug:

I suggest that you do your homework before you make claims that you cannot back up regarding the '65 models.

Based on your comments no use going any further because you have all of the answers and chances are you weren't even around like many of us older enthusiasts when this great car came out!

:frusty::frusty:

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Let's make it simple.

Shelby of the 60s had their hands on the iconic cars that wore the name. Cars were delivered to him by Ford and were modified.

Versus the Ford offering from today that comes off the factory assembly line not needing a damn thing.

What comes from Shelby America is in so many ways not as special as the car that wears the Shelby name coming stock from Ford straight off the assembly line.

In many ways we are all glad that Shelby America hasnt gotten their hands on it.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
In 07 it was fabulous that the flagship Mustang had Shelby's name on it. The 08-09 KR is really the only later model car that I would actually call a Shelby. It's unfortunate because the name got overused and applied to too many different models/options. By 2010 the brand became too mainstream and lacked the ingenuity in it's offerings to back up the legendary name. To me, having the name on the 350 takes away from what it is because the Shelby brand has become kind of cheezy, and Shelby essentially had nothing to do with this car. I wish they would have brought back the Cobra name with this car. Oh well, it is what it is, and it's very badass regardless of the name.

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
In 07 it was fabulous that the flagship Mustang had Shelby's name on it. The 08-09 KR is really the only later model car that I would actually call a Shelby. It's unfortunate because the name got overused and applied to too many different models/options. By 2010 the brand became too mainstream and lacked the ingenuity in it's offerings to back up the legendary name. To me, having the name on the 350 takes away from what it is because the Shelby brand has become kind of cheezy, and Shelby essentially had nothing to do with this car. I wish they would have brought back the Cobra name with this car. Oh well, it is what it is, and it's very badass regardless of the name.

Can you say 2007-2008 Shelby GT which was a modded pre-title car! SCCA champ three years in a row. KR was also pre-title modded Shelby, which, of course, came after the Shelby GT.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Concur.....multi-tasking and typing on phone ; ). The concept of the orignal Shelby GT and KR is what it should have been throughout the model years. SA got greedy and figured out how much money cheese can make. Unfortunately so many "car guys" are really more into the tinsel than the substance. That's what I love about the 350.....a simple no frills ass kicker.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Really? You guys are arguing about comparing two vehicles with 50 years of technology between them? :rolleyes:

Both are amazing, maximum-performance vehicles in their own times. That's all. :thumbsup:

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
No, we're talking about what happened from 06-09.
Sponsored