Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
No, Im not trying to start that question. Its never something that goes well. But, In a recent discussion like this, Tracey Smith, Team Shelby director and licensing president posted the following

"Carroll legacy is with Ford, which is where he wanted it in the end. He worked very closely with them (for years) on all of the cars that bear his name, including the GT350.

I visited Shelby in Vegas and all the employees rolled their eyes when I told them I owned the GT350. They don't consider it a Shelby at all....
I had exactly the opposite experience. They fawned over my car. They encouraged me to park my car right in front to get a pic. They even gave me a couple of FREE stickers. They could not have been more enthusiastic about my car.

attachment.jpg
Sponsored

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
Thanks...

I had exactly the opposite experience. They fawned over my car. They encouraged me to park my car right in front to get a pic. They even gave me a couple of FREE stickers. They could not have been more enthusiastic about my car.

attachment.jpg
Thanks for this info, we will be stoping by Shelby in Las Vegas on our trip out west this year in our GT350 looking forward to stoping there, then we are going to Laughlin Nevada, for a few days, then on to Phoenix Arizona, for few days, on to Long Beach Calif, for a few days, then on to San Diego California, and then home the Southern route..... :cheers: John

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think that's mostly just a marketing shpeel in this day and age of Shelby American. Sure, they gave Shelby a look at what Ford was doing with the previous GT500s and maybe the early stages of GT350, but towards the end of his life, he was basically just a figurehead, with others doing all of the moving and shaking.

And Shelby doesn't "make" anything anymore. They just assemble a bunch of parts made by other companies, slap the Shelby name on them and bolt them onto a Mustang before charging an insane markup. What Shelby American customers are willing to pay for is totally ridiculous.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
An argument could be made that the new 350's were not built by Shelby American and therefore are not real Shelby's. If one were to make that argument, would that not also apply to the 67 to 70 Shelby's as well? I like Tim's answer and heard the same point made at a recent Track Tour.
If you want to get technical with it, Shelby American hasn't "built" a car in years. They just bolt on parts made by others and slap on the Shelby name. The body kits for the 2011-14 GT350s were made by CDC and most, if not all of the go-fast bits were made by Ford Racing. There's very little engineering and "hot rodding" as ole Shelby would have said going on there anymore.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing Shelby American has done since 1967 is worth getting excited about. Carroll created the Cobra, the Cobra Daytona, the original 65-66 GT350 and turned Ford's GT40s into winners in 1966 and 67. Anything past that is nothing worth getting excited about...

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah...

I see the GT500 and GT350 as more a product of SVT more than anything Shelby is remotely responsible for. Ford likely only needed Shelby for the licensing of a iconic name.

There isnt anything, mustang related, Shelby America does that impresses me anymore.

The SVT cars like the 95 and 00 Cobra R's set the stage. The 03/04 Terminator set up the events to come with the GT500. It could have simply been another Cobra and been every bit as good, I kinda wish the simple Cobra name had stayed.

/edit

Also not a fan of the way Shelby went after companies like Factory Five. The demand was there and he pissed all over everything in an attempt to mark his territory.
Yea, this is the age old battle informed Mustang people have with uninformed ones. I remember going on a tour through Flat Rock Assembly a few years ago and a guy that was with us noticed a GT500 going down the line and he was flabbergasted and would not accept that the GT500 was not made by "Shelby". It is in fact 100% designed, developed, engineered and produced by Ford Motor Company.

Sponsored

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The name Shelby is a very vague term really. It could mean Shelby modified car or it can mean, Shelby co designed the car.
A bit like BMW's M devision and Benz's AMG. You still see regular non-M or AMG cars wear the M or AMG badge due to some upgrades.
Shelby made a Shelby GT which is just a regular GT with appearance upgrades. It's all relative.
Not quite the same association, but close. BMW makes a few cars that have an M-sport package that wear an M-badge, but are not true M-cars, the M235i, for instance. Great cars, but not true M-cars.

Then you have the hoards of idiots who slap an M-badge onto whatever crappy 15 year old 3-Series they have and think it makes it cooler.

Neither is really what Shelby American is, these days. They're just a post-title tuned company in this day-and-age. No different from Saleen or Roush (although Roush does a considerable amount of actual engineering on their parts).

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
And since SVT no longer exists, it would be hard for them to make any more cars
I'm curious about this statement. I know several people that work at SVT. I've dealt with SVT several times over recent years on an ongoing basis. The GT500 and GT350 are SVT developments. SVT is currently hard at work getting the 2017 Raptor ready (a vehicle which I have content in). SVT & RS both are rolled into Ford Performance, but both groups are still intact and still at work.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm curious about this statement. I know several people that work at SVT. I've dealt with SVT several times over recent years on an ongoing basis. The GT500 and GT350 are SVT developments. SVT is currently hard at work getting the 2017 Raptor ready (a vehicle which I have content in). SVT & RS both are rolled into Ford Performance, but both groups are still intact and still at work.
"SVT" as a name and as a marketing entity do in fact no longer exist. SVT/RS/ST/Ford Racing are now simply Ford Performance. Yes, all the same people still work in the same buildings on the same projects, but you will never see an SVT vehicle again, and the people who worked for SVT, now simply work for Ford Performance.

jma406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350,1962 406 S/S,64 Falcon B/FX, BOSS KK1215
"I don't call it anything, said Frankie Lee with a smile".... Just enjoy the car for what it is!

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
"I don't call it anything, said Frankie Lee with a smile".... Just enjoy the car for what it is!

I don't call Frankie, Frankie

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Yawn. Who cares? If you like it, and you feel you got every bit of your ADM money's worth great. That's all that matters. It's a great car, but in the end.......
100% marketing.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
"SVT" as a name and as a marketing entity do in fact no longer exist. SVT/RS/ST/Ford Racing are now simply Ford Performance. Yes, all the same people still work in the same buildings on the same projects, but you will never see an SVT vehicle again, and the people who worked for SVT, now simply work for Ford Performance.
If you want to even go back further than "SVT" there was the "SVO" (Special Vehicle Operations) department that started back in ~1981 and oversaw the Ford Racing and High Performance vehicles way back then.

I believe the first SVO performance vehicle back in the day was the 1984 SVO Mustang and was produced through 1986!

Now that Ford Racing is gone I really enjoy wearing my Ford Racing shirt to a few events as it is now a collectors item.

;)

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
What's more, there will probably be a day where it's not called Ford Performance anymore either. Names are fleeting.

jma406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350,1962 406 S/S,64 Falcon B/FX, BOSS KK1215
I don't call Frankie, Frankie
Is anyone in your club going to have any old Shelbys or new GT 350s at the Early Mustangers show at Venus Ford next week?

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Is anyone in your club going to have any old Shelbys or new GT 350s at the Early Mustangers show at Venus Ford next week?
Is it this weekend or next? I may try to make the trip
Sponsored