Is hitting the rev limiter a problem?

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Bouncing off the rev limiter is bad for the motor, yes.
Okay. Thanks.

Okay on a purely technical tip....

WHY is it bad on the motor?
Me too.

I too haven't driven such a fast revving motor in many years. It's at the red line so fast. I have to get used to it. I watch the tach very closely now when I go WOT in first and second gear. Also, at age 64 I'M not as quick. Learned to power shift in a '67 Beetle and trnaferred those skills to a 427 Chevelle and numerous motorcycles. Didn't have rev limiters back then. Bent a valve in my 750 Honda. Enjoy your pony car Bartly. It's a great machine.
Thanks. Yeah, my first car with a limited as well. Was hoping it was designed to happen at a safe rpm.

Because it wears parts faster when the oils are super heated up inside the bearings?
Curious how guys can have their limited rIsed to a higher rpm, but that doesn't hurt the engine with what you describe.

Yes, I knew it was still a silly question. But it is reality. Was curious what happens if it gets hit. Sounds like ford should have lowered it by 1000 rpm to limit damage. Lol.

Thanks.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Considering after tunes, most are set higher than factory, I doubt it's "BAD" assuming you don't do it every time you drive the car. It's not like you're sitting there bouncing off it. It's just a fuel cut to protect your engine FROM getting damaged. I've hit it a few time since owning the car, no big deal.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Okay. Thanks.

Me too.

Thanks. Yeah, my first car with a limited as well. Was hoping it was designed to happen at a safe rpm.

Curious how guys can have their limited rIsed to a higher rpm, but that doesn't hurt the engine with what you describe.

Yes, I knew it was still a silly question. But it is reality. Was curious what happens if it gets hit. Sounds like ford should have lowered it by 1000 rpm to limit damage. Lol.

Thanks.
Well, like I said, it will cause more wear. That's why Ford will not warrant any engine damage with aftermarket tunes.
It's not like it will explode once you go pass it. The wear will be very insignificant compare to other things like cold starts.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
So my last mustang was an Auto towards the end of its life and I guess I have some muscle memory left over after 20 years. My new GT is a manual and sometimes I just flat out forget to shift when launching from a stop. Probably cause this car is twice as fast as that last one and I get such a kick out of the pull it has. So I know I need to shift nearly every time, but still get caught off guard when I hit the limiter at the end of first gear. Is this going to be bad for the engine or transmission if I can't make myself stop doing this.

Sounds like you need to go back to auto. Manual isn't for everyone.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
on doing specifically what you've described and the frequency you're doing it, you're not gonna cause any noticeable wear on your engine. it would be minuscule at the worst. I take my engine to 6000 in 3rd almost every morning when I get on the interstate. I think of a rev limiter like I think of the weight limit on my trampoline. I'm 210 and it says 250 but in all reality it's probably 300 or even a little more. They count on us pushing the limits in life.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
on doing specifically what you've described and the frequency you're doing it, you're not gonna cause any noticeable wear on your engine. it would be minuscule at the worst. I take my engine to 6000 in 3rd almost every morning when I get on the interstate. I think of a rev limiter like I think of the weight limit on my trampoline. I'm 210 and it says 250 but in all reality it's probably 300 or even a little more. They count on us pushing the limits in life.
Theoretically this may be true as tuners have been setting the rev limiter much higher without issue.
Still, the more the motor is pushed, the more wear and tear it is subjected to, will in-turn decreasing engine life span and or break things pre maturely..

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Theoretically this may be true as tuners have been setting the rev limiter much higher without issue.
Still, the more the motor is pushed, the more wear and tear it is subjected to, will in-turn decreasing engine life span and or break things pre maturely..
For a sportscar like this, I would still consider that normal wear and tear if not going past the factory limiter. Normal really could be a wide range though. A guy on here once said he's usually in 3rd by 20mph..lol

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
It just cuts fuel to prevent over revving (which WOULD cause damage potentially). Hitting it wouldn't cause damage, in fact it is there to prevent damage. That being said I would try to improve your shifting. :)

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Lots of guys use lainch mode...which requires you to floor the pedal and hold it there. At which point it bounces off the rev limiter for a good few seconds. If it hits the rev limiter you're ok. If it hits the rev limiter and you leave it pinned for extended periods of time often, then you're looking for trouble. Rev limiters are a safety feature. Which is why I NEVER have mine removed like some people do. If you hit it often then you're fine as long as you eventually get the hang of it and improve and as long as you immediately realize you hit and press the clutch in or let of the gas. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get more seat time. All my vehicles are manual and I sometimes forget to shift too, lol!!

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Lots of guys use lainch mode...which requires you to floor the pedal and hold it there. At which point it bounces off the rev limiter for a good few seconds. If it hits the rev limiter you're ok. If it hits the rev limiter and you leave it pinned for extended periods of time often, then you're looking for trouble. Rev limiters are a safety feature. Which is why I NEVER have mine removed like some people do. If you hit it often then you're fine as long as you eventually get the hang of it and improve and as long as you immediately realize you hit and press the clutch in or let of the gas. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get more seat time. All my vehicles are manual and I sometimes forget to shift too, lol!!
Launch mode does not hit the limiter. It holds the throttle plate (drive by wire) at the opening needed to hold the desired RPM (3000-4500 factory). Bouncing the limiter (hard limiter) cuts fuel and timing to suddenly stop any more advance in the RPM.

No Tapping your limiter will not kill your engine if you are not FI. If you are FI (with stock OCP and Crank gear) you could cause damage.

OP,
I feel your pain of the reflexes and mental speed not being what they once were......

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Wish our base pp models came with the integrated shift light that the premiums have. Luckily I found out the nguage I ordered comes with built in shift light aswell:)
Hmmm... I have a premium and I've never noticed any shift light. Although, I've never hit the rev limiter either so maybe I just haven't revved it out far enough. Where is the light located on the instrument panel and at what RPM does it come on? Thanks!

I will say, agreeing with the others who have stated the same, this is the fastest revving car I've owned. I have the PP so with the 3.73 gears, it's right up to 6500 RPMs (which is as far as I care to rev it) in 1st gear almost instantly. I'm trying to learn to shift more on timing and feel than by watching the tach.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Hmmm... I have a premium and I've never noticed any shift light. Although, I've never hit the rev limiter either so maybe I just haven't revved it out far enough. Where is the light located on the instrument panel and at what RPM does it come on? Thanks!
From what I can tell it only works when your headlights are on the whole cluster turns red.

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
I have PP1 with the rpm limit at 7200K. I noticed when I tried it out and shifted around 7000K my tach lighting which was blue flashed red. I couldn't tell exactly what rpm this was, but I think it must have been over 7000k. I have improved my shifting and haven't hit the rev limiter since I've gotten used to how fast it revs. I have a Ford Racing x-pipe and the stock piping back to Magnaflows. It does howl in the high end.
I'd like to upgrade to PP2 but I don't want to be paying over $600 for the horsepower difference between 1and 2 which is only 8 crank horsepower. On a side note Mike G. at FP said they were discussing some price adjustment going from 1 to 2. That would be nice.
Sponsored