Sponsored

Interior plastic scratches on new car ☹️

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I am as OCD as the next guy. But if you intend to drive the car then you will pick up scuffs and scratches on those plastic trim pieces regardless. Now I understand the desire to be THE person to cause those scratches and not have scratches on a newly purchased car, but they will re-appear. It is inevitable. You should see my trunk after a few track days (transporting a jack, jack stands, and tools and a wheel). Door trim piece will just naturally pick up scuffs from getting in and out.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Back to Black not as good as the 303, I've used it not just saying it fwiw. PRO's Auto Zombie hypes it as the jeepesters go to. CON's two steps, A cleaner first, B then application, C must allow to dry D can leave streaks. Finished is too Black and shiny, does not represent a factory finish :thumbsdown:

The 303 maintains the factory finish that came on the car.

PRO's Wash car, when dry, apply to a dry surface. Apply 303, & wipe , no delay time to cure. Finish has that satin factory finish that comes on a new part. The product was developed for a marine environment. Constant sun (UV), saltwater, is very harsh on plastics, Quickly fading, hardening and with cracking soon to follow .

CON's to me the spray application in uncontrollable, gets all over and wasteful. Most noticeable, mirror & window trim area.

My solution is to wet a small area on a rag and apply by hand, go back, dry rag & wipe down. Doing that cut the waste considerably.

Tires, prefer the natural rubber look. Shiny tires remind me of a model car. As a kid see someone build a model and not paint them flat black, screamed amateur. :thumbsdown:

Yes tire need to be clean, just not polished :thumbsup:

So my .02 fwiw

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I am as OCD as the next guy. But if you intend to drive the car then you will pick up scuffs and scratches on those plastic trim pieces regardless. Now I understand the desire to be THE person to cause those scratches and not have scratches on a newly purchased car, but they will re-appear. It is inevitable. You should see my trunk after a few track days (transporting a jack, jack stands, and tools and a wheel). Door trim piece will just naturally pick up scuffs from getting in and out.
Cannot disagree, with any of it, the trunk, is the trunk, nuff said. Anyone wants a show trunk, don't put stuff in it.

Scuff marks getting in & out, most likely just dirt off the shoe. Unless sporting some Harley boots with chains or rings trimming the heals, will scratch. Some tight piled carpet, tactfully applied to the lower door panel, could protect the area.

@ the OP, man take that car out and drive the thing. I have yet to read you are enjoying the machine that it is.:question:

Oh one more, new parts need to move around, get broken in, smooth out. Point being (trunk)the plastic cover not seating. Could do more harm taking it apart trying to trim. Some molding flash that will wear off and seal with usage. Close the trunk, strap yourself in, hit the start button go for a ride.

Having some fun
LOL

Last edited:

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Whoa! This seems like a clever, super cheap option! Have you tried this before?
Not yet. I am planning to spot test it soon.

dcalero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 w/Tech Pack
The marks on the door panel are minor. Mostly from your shoes getting out of your car. Someone else scratch the shit out of my rear trunk panel. I tried many things to fix it. But I'm the end I replaced the panel. I kept the other panel to use for repair purposes. I am more careful now but as other people said. If it is a daily driver things will happen. My car is a daily driver sometimes I alternate with my Jeep to give it a break.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
I ‘think’ I trimmed it when it was in place but not 100% sure now sorry.

My trunk lid was a little off left to right. It was good at the front and the height was good all around, but the rear panel gaps were slightly off. It wasn’t bad, I wouldn’t have moved it unless I already had that panel off :like: It’s like my catch was slightly off as you could see it pull the boot over when it caught, now it closes without that last minute side movement :like:

WD :like:
I see. Well I’m glad that you got it fixed!
What year is your lime GT? Did you get the manual? 🙂

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Yeah I totally agree with you. Although I am super careful with these things, my previous car had a few of these scratches and scuffs too.
Your point about me being the person to cause these scratches is spot on - I was just a bit upset that a new car had these.

That’s why I wanted to know if others have had cars come this way from the factory - or if the dealer mistreated the car while they had it.

But either way, you are totally correct :thumbsup:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Hey @460Fred ! Haha I’m actually pretty close to you - 6’2” and size 12, and I can totally relate!
However I already have this product and this was pretty much the first thing I tried using. The pictures I posted are after I tried removing the scuffs using this Silk Shine Protectant. It gives a nice shine to the plastics but then the scuffs are still visible :/
That’s terrible.
Sounds like more than just a foot hitting the panel. Bummer you may need to replace.
I think someone already recommended a good detail shop may help???

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Back to Black not as good as the 303, I've used it not just saying it fwiw. PRO's Auto Zombie hypes it as the jeepesters go to. CON's two steps, A cleaner first, B then application, C must allow to dry D can leave streaks. Finished is too Black and shiny, does not represent a factory finish :thumbsdown:

The 303 maintains the factory finish that came on the car.

PRO's Wash car, when dry, apply to a dry surface. Apply 303, & wipe , no delay time to cure. Finish has that satin factory finish that comes on a new part. The product was developed for a marine environment. Constant sun (UV), saltwater, is very harsh on plastics, Quickly fading, hardening and with cracking soon to follow .

CON's to me the spray application in uncontrollable, gets all over and wasteful. Most noticeable, mirror & window trim area.

My solution is to wet a small area on a rag and apply by hand, go back, dry rag & wipe down. Doing that cut the waste considerably.

Tires, prefer the natural rubber look. Shiny tires remind me of a model car. As a kid see someone build a model and not paint them flat black, screamed amateur. :thumbsdown:

Yes tire need to be clean, just not polished :thumbsup:

So my .02 fwiw
@Rapid Red thanks a ton for the super detailed explanation and comparison. It really helps as I haven’t used either of these products. I was stuck with work till pretty late last night and I didn’t get a chance to pick up the 303.

Im definitely gonna give it a shot this weekend.

And I agree with you on the tires too. Super shiny tires look weird haha!😊

Sponsored
OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Cannot disagree, with any of it, the trunk, is the trunk, nuff said. Anyone wants a show trunk, don't put stuff in it.

Scuff marks getting in & out, most likely just dirt off the shoe. Unless sporting some Harley boots with chains or rings trimming the heals, will scratch. Some tight piled carpet, tactfully applied to the lower door panel, could protect the area.

@ the OP, man take that car out and drive the thing. I have yet to read you are enjoying the machine that it is.:question:

Oh one more, new parts need to move around, get broken in, smooth out. Point being (trunk)the plastic cover not seating. Could do more harm taking it apart trying to trim. Some molding flash that will wear off and seal with usage. Close the trunk, strap yourself in, hit the start button go for a ride.

Having some fun
LOL
And yeah I can’t deny that being OCD isn’t spoiling the ownership experience a little bit. It’s just something I suffer through, haha.

However, I absolutely LOVE driving the car. Coming from a BMW inline-6, this Voodoo is just something else. I guess I’m not talking about the good parts of the car much - fortunately I haven’t noticed it burning any oil whatsoever. I don’t beat on it, but in it’s 1400 miles, I’ve redlined it a few times (after a 1000 mile break-in) - and absolutely no oil consumption! Seems like a really tight motor.

Other than the motor, the handling and suspension of the car is really really good too. Overall I’m super happy with how the car makes me feel😀

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
The marks on the door panel are minor. Mostly from your shoes getting out of your car. Someone else scratch the shit out of my rear trunk panel. I tried many things to fix it. But I'm the end I replaced the panel. I kept the other panel to use for repair purposes. I am more careful now but as other people said. If it is a daily driver things will happen. My car is a daily driver sometimes I alternate with my Jeep to give it a break.
Hi @dcalero ! Yeah it might be my own shoes or someone at the factory/dealer. Can’t tell for sure.
However, by trunk panel do you mean the same one I put a pic of at the start of the thread?
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the part cost you?

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
OP you have bigger OCD than my :crackup: . Those are not scratches, they're just marks and can be removed with simple Armor All. I do this every wash: https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-10160-Original-Protectant/dp/B005NIK6W6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=140GMXKP9KWEE&dchild=1&keywords=armor+all&qid=1608392180&sprefix=armo,aps,201&sr=8-5
Haha not just OCD - it’s more like what @matthewr87 mentioned - I wouldn’t mind as much if I scratched the panel myself, or if it came that way from the factory - just concerned if the dealer scuffed it up and didn’t treat the car properly.
But thanks a lot for the suggestion though. I really appreciate it 🙂

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I see. Well I’m glad that you got it fixed!
What year is your lime GT? Did you get the manual? 🙂
It’s a 2020, it’s the only year they did lime :like:

It’s a manual with Magneride and Recaro’s, our euro spec cars are a mixture of PP1 and premium :like: but they miss out on the Torsen and 3.73 gear :frown:

WD :like:
Sponsored