Sponsored

Intercooler install cost, what did you pay?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I've been given a quote of about $380 to have an Intercooler installed on my car. I honestly thought it would be around $200 but I really have no idea. Can you all chime in on what a reasonable cost is? This could be fair for all I know but I wanted to check. This will require the removal of the front bumper as I will be going with a larger unit than a stock size replacement. My 18 has the pp so no active grill shutters.

Also I have 0 mechanical ability so I will not attempt the install myself. With my luck I'll end up snapping all the bumper clips off lol
Sponsored

Logan1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
It took me about 3 hours with the car on the ground (no ramps or jack stands) including taking the front bumper off, removing the AGS, removing the motor from the AGS and reconnecting it... so I'd think using a lift it could easily be completed in 1-2 hours. Depending on the shop's hourly labor rate the price could range anywhere from $100-$300 for 1-2 hours of labor; $380 might be with them quoting around 2.5 hours of labor.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I think the install time will depend on if the shop is familiar with working on these cars. A place that works on Mustangs will know the bumper has to come off and what's involved in doing it. An easy installation if they've done a few. It will take more time if the shop hasn't installed a Mustang intercooler The person working on the car will probably be trying to find all of the bolts so he doesn't break anything.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
The bumper cover doesn't use the same method of fastening at the tabs on a 2018+ as was used on the 2015-17. I've owned 2015 Eco and, yes, the bumper tabs are frail, so I ended up reinforcing with the Quik-Latches. I purchased the same latches for my 2018 Eco for my recent ATM intercooler install only to discover the bumper attaches in a much better manner now and seems to alleviate most of the problems that stress the tabs and cause failure. I ended up not using the latches. The bumper is super easy to remove on the 2018 and even with little to no mechanical ability, this would be an easy job for you in the garage or driveway. I do recommend jack stands to raise the front, only because it helps to be able to crawl under and remove the push-pins and screws to drop the splash shield, as well as make it much easier to get at the lower intercooler charge pipe couplers. If reusing the stock cold side pipe, no worries, but if you bought aftermarket pipes, when the cold pipe is pulled out, put it next to the new aftermarket pipe with couplers attached to check the length. If you put the 2015-17 cold pipe next to the 2018+ cold pipe you will see that the 2018 pipe is about 2+ inches longer due to the front end changes. Even if you don't do the work, make sure the shop you choose is aware so they don't flail away trying to make a short pipe fit. The best way to know your car is to do the work yourself which also has the benefit of saving money for even more mods, win-win!

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If reusing the stock cold side pipe, no worries, but if you bought aftermarket pipes, when the cold pipe is pulled out, put it next to the new aftermarket pipe with couplers attached to check the length. If you put the 2015-17 cold pipe next to the 2018+ cold pipe you will see that the 2018 pipe is about 2+ inches longer due to the front end changes. Even if you don't do the work, make sure the shop you choose is aware so they don't flail away trying to make a short pipe fit. The best way to know your car is to do the work yourself which also has the benefit of saving money for even more mods, win-win!
Most companies list the pipes as fitting 2015+ cars. One size fits all. I have CVF pipes that I'll be installing with my intercooler soon. You got me thinking about fitment.

Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most companies list the pipes as fitting 2015+ cars. One size fits all. I have CVF pipes that I'll be installing with my intercooler soon. You got me thinking about fitment.
No worries, The CVF pipes are what I used on my ATM intercooler install, and they worked for me.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And just as general FYI information... I found that I had kept the stock pipes from my 2015, so when I pulled the cold side off my 2018, I put the 2015 and 2018 stock pipes side by side in the same orientation. I was able to visually verify that the 2018 is indeed approximately 2+ inches longer. I did the same with the hot side pipes and saw no difference in length.

So what I am saying to take away from this is, if a vendor advertises their pipes as 2015+, be wary unless you contact them directly to verify fitment for 2018+. If they specifically show 2018-2019 or 2018+, then more than likely their pipe is longer or they are supplying a longer coupler(s) for their pipe.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hey guys thx for the responses so far. I was also thinking the install should be about 2 hrs max. In regards to the install, as much as I want to save the money and like the idea of being able to say I did it, I know that I have a tendency to over complicate things so I'll pay for the piece of mind. Plus my wife told me that she is okay with me modding as long as I pay for a professional to install and don't attempt it myself. To me it's a reasonable request. I don't mind paying for the install just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. So when I was quoted 380, I thought it was high but it could be reasonable for my area, not certain. Gonna get more quotes to be certain but I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who is paying for it so knowing what others pay will help. Hoping a few that have paid for an install will chime in too.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys thx for the responses so far. I was also thinking the install should be about 2 hrs max. In regards to the install, as much as I want to save the money and like the idea of being able to say I did it, I know that I have a tendency to over complicate things so I'll pay for the piece of mind. Plus my wife told me that she is okay with me modding as long as I pay for a professional to install and don't attempt it myself. To me it's a reasonable request. I don't mind paying for the install just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. So when I was quoted 380, I thought it was high but it could be reasonable for my area, not certain. Gonna get more quotes to be certain but I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who is paying for it so knowing what others pay will help. Hoping a few that have paid for an install will chime in too.
Gotta keep the wifey happy! In my case I married a woman that is as passionate about Mustang as me, has her own, wants mods, and understands that 2 cars worth of modding requires self installs to keep costs reasonable. LOL

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Gotta keep the wifey happy! In my case I married a woman that is as passionate about Mustang as me, has her own, wants mods, and understands that 2 cars worth of modding requires self installs to keep costs reasonable. LOL
My wife likes cars and rarely tells me no. So when she does I listen lol. She is more into trucks but doesn't mod. I know she just wants me safe and is worried if I do something that I might do it wrong. Can't blame her, I tend to agree with her.

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Are there any men left in this day in age? ask your wife for permission to install a freaken car parts? LOL. Get a buddy to help you out on a Saturday afternoon have some beers while doing the job there are plenty of videos of how to, should take no more than 2 hours on ramps and a power drill preferably, done.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just Googled "Mustang shop Phoenix, AZ". Found a few speed shops and along with shops that specialize in Mustangs.

mustang shop phoenix az

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installing an intercooler yourself is easy, save the money you would spend on labor and use it for better charge pipes and/or BOV.
FD13E557-B177-4DAF-8362-FE3738C6C3B2.jpeg
50D3E19C-B056-41C5-9E18-5A8F18D7AA20.jpeg
3FFE4EA6-27BA-4971-AEE6-303BABC2737D.jpeg
Sponsored