Sponsored

Intercooler: how did you decide?

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I have read though most of the big intercooler thread, and while there is a number of options, there is no direct comparisons yet. So I am asking what do you feel are the best, most efficient, IC's of the bunch and why?
What are the important parameters other than core size?
Does any IC manufacturers want to state why theirs is going to be most efficient?

Let me add that cost and ease of install are NOT major concerns
Sponsored

TJP719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium AT
I'm interested in the responses as well. Intercooler is next on the list of upgrades for me.

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
The bumper beam plays a huge roll here. When comparing the MAP thick core vs a tall one like Levels, I believe the MAP intercooler is getting more airflow over more surface area. That said, I'm leaning towards the ATM intercooler with the stepped core. It really is the best of both worlds. I'm looking forward to seeing some more information surface on it.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
From what I've seen, they all perform very similarly, but where the difference lies is in quality of construction and future growth potential.

The larger, taller intercoolers will usually support higher horsepower goals, but requires removing the bumper and a couple pieces of plastic for install whereas the shorter, fatter units will often support lower horsepower numbers but doesn't require removal of the front bumper for installation.

A lot of people on here want basic bolt-ons and don't really have plans for big power so the short, fat units appeal to them because they'll more than support what they want to do with the car and they fit in the factory location.

Myself, my goal is 500 whp (initially), so I went with one of the taller units (Levels Performance). The LP core is good to 600 hp, so it still has room for growth even after I hit 500 whp.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Keep in mind that a bigger intercooler takes longer to fill, so your spool time when throttle is applied will suffer when an upgraded turbo is used later.

The key is properly sizing the cooler to your goals. IE, bolt ons, smaller stock-ish core, or big turbo big power, big core.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The bumper beam plays a huge roll here. When comparing the MAP thick core vs a tall one like Levels, I believe the MAP intercooler is getting more airflow over more surface area. That said, I'm leaning towards the ATM intercooler with the stepped core. It really is the best of both worlds. I'm looking forward to seeing some more information surface on it.
There is a decent sized gap between that beam and the FMIC for air to flow through it. I've ran datalog after datalog on it and it performs just as good as any of the results from the other FMICs testing I've seen posted.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I went with the MAP intercooler not taking the bumper off or removing the grill shutters or cutting played a big factor to me. As for hp handling a lot of the intercoolers are pretty much in the same ball park. MAP has rated their intercooler in handling 550hp. They are running the intercooler with their big turbo kit with no heat soak issues. My initial interest was the ATM intercooler because of the design best of both worlds but with no response I left that alone.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
For drag racing and the daily driver I believe any stock location intercooler will work fine.

If you do Auto X,HPDE etc you will absolutely need a larger front mounted intercooler.

Sponsored

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
I went with the MAP intercooler not taking the bumper off or removing the grill shutters or cutting played a big factor to me. As for hp handling a lot of the intercoolers are pretty much in the same ball park. MAP has rated their intercooler in handling 550hp. They are running the intercooler with their big turbo kit with no heat soak issues. My initial interest was the ATM intercooler because of the design best of both worlds but with no response I left that alone.
Where didn't you get a response? we try to answer all emails, posts and pm's but things can get lost in the shuffle and if we missed something we apologize...

We will be testing and posting up extensive data on our unit in about 2-3 weeks at that point we will have an initial 9 units ready for sale. We will readily submit our Intercoolers up against any other in INDEPENDANT testing. we are 100% confident in our products as they are each custom designed for each platform to drastically improve AIT, heatsoak suppression and pressure drop. We accomplish this by customizing every parameter(size, shape, header bar design, fin density, charge and ambient row heights etc) and NOT using any off the shelf parts(cores, end tanks etc)

In these pics you will notice the use of rounded header(and charge row) bars, flared inlets and outlet tubes and flared, non angled inlets and outlets at the endtank and specifically shaped end tanks to guide the charge into and out of the intercooler minimizing pumping losses...

Here's a pic of the Ecoboost intercooler just after the initial polish, our final finish is sandblasted with a highly polished logo on the endtanks(looks like an apple product)

Last edited:

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Where didn't you get a response? we try to answer all emails, posts and pm's but things can get lost in the shuffle and if we missed something we apologize...

We will be testing and posting up extensive data on our unit in about 2-3 weeks at that point we will have an initial 9 units ready for sale. We will readily submit our Intercoolers up against any other in INDEPENDANT testing. we are 100% confident in our products as they are each custom designed for each platform to drastically improve AIT, heatsoak suppression and pressure drop. We accomplish this by customizing every parameter(size, shape, header bar design, fin density, charge and ambient row heights etc) and NOT using any off the shelf parts(cores, end tanks etc)

In these pics you will notice the use of rounded header(and charge row) bars, flared inlets and outlet tubes and flared, non angled inlets and outlets at the endtank and specifically shaped end tanks to guide the charge into and out of the intercooler minimizing pumping losses...

Here's a pic of the Ecoboost intercooler just after the initial polish, our final finish is sandblasted with a highly polished logo on the endtanks(looks like an apple product)

Hey jerseydevil the intercooler looks pretty wicked! Unfortunately as I mentioned numerous attempts on my part from questions on threads to actually direct pms went answered so I went a different route.

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
Hey jerseydevil the intercooler looks pretty wicked! Unfortunately as I mentioned numerous attempts on my part from questions on threads to actually direct pms went answered so I went a different route.
I'm utterly confused as my sent box for PMs shows I responded to you on 1/29...:shrug:

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm utterly confused as my sent box for PMs shows I responded to you on 1/29...:shrug:
Not to derail the thread but yes I got a reply to initial question but after that I followed through but never got a reply. I tried in a few threads & then a few pm's but gave up after not receiving any response, but no worries:thumbsup: your intercooler was my first choice & was highly interested on purchasing it

OP
OP

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang

I have to say this does look wicked, and best of both worlds.
How hard is it too install?
And
How can I get one of the first 9?;)
Like I said install isn't a major issue, but the MMR IC needs cutting and removing of stock parts (shutters) and that's a little too much. However it looks excellent.

Here is my question: Tall, or short, or brand, which is the best to not heatsoak as much at a stoplight on a 85 degree day?
Sponsored