Sponsored

Instrument+Dash Screen Flicker/Malfunction

eperks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V6 2016
Hi all, I purchased a GT a few weeks ago and it’s been great until this week when the instrument cluster screen started flickering/turning off mid-drive.

Issue: instrument cluster screen starts flickering mid-drive, and eventually shuts off. After parking for awhile and starting again, it turns back on. It happens about 1/3rd of my drives. Occasionally the Sync3 screen will flicker, but it’s rare and it’s never gone out.

Things I’ve tried:
-checking the fuse box (looked okay, didn’t notice an obviously blown fuse)
-scanned the OBDII port but there’s no codes.

The car: 2016 Mustang GT convertible (46K miles)

I’m really hoping I can pinpoint it down before bringing it to a dealership. The fact that the analog speedometer still works, while the screen is flickering I can still change settings, along with zero codes has me thinking that the ECU isn’t losing communication with the cluster. I think it might be the harness, but it’s hard to pinpoint. I’ve found a few posts of people with similar issues but with no resolution on old threads. I also saw someone who had the harness replaced under warranty, but mine isn’t covered anymore and there’s no recall. Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks for your time
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Since the rest of the cluster still has power, I'd guess a failing internal connection between the LCD and the cluster. There's individuals/companies who specialize in board level repair like that, but since you have a base cluster you're probably best off just buying a used one with equal or lower mileage (forscan will let you raise mileage but not lower).

OP
OP

eperks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V6 2016
Since the rest of the cluster still has power, I'd guess a failing internal connection between the LCD and the cluster. There's individuals/companies who specialize in board level repair like that, but since you have a base cluster you're probably best off just buying a used one with equal or lower mileage (forscan will let you raise mileage but not lower).
That’s what I thought too, before I bust out my voltmeter and solder-iron to check connections, the main 8’ Sync3 display is also displaying similar characteristics- which makes me hesitant to rip out the instrument cluster. I’d love for the problem to be an instrument-cluster failure, so I’d have an excuse for the wife why I spent $2K on a digital instrument cluster replacement, but I don’t think it’s to blame. I think, unfortunately, it might be the harness or wiring/ECU. I might be screwed taking it in to the dealership.

I do have a shitty $2,300 bumper-to-bumper warranty with a $250 deductible from “easy care”. I was planning on cancelling it without ever using it, but I may just have to in this case

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Does the Sync screen blink out at the same time as the cluster display?

OP
OP

eperks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V6 2016
Does the Sync screen blink out at the same time as the cluster display?
They don’t, almost never at the same time. The instrument gauge flickers and eventually goes out. I’m hoping it’s something like just the harness, think I might have to just bring it into the dealership. I have a third party warranty from EasyCare that I was going to cancel, but it might be worth it since it’s a $250 deductible (cost $2,300 total). No experience with them but I don’t trust extended warranties
Sponsored