Sponsored

Installed OPGs & Sprocket, Now Timing Is Off.

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
Hello,

I recently installed Boundry OPGs and sprocket on my 2019 GT. After bolting everything back together, my tuner told me that my exhaust cams are not timed right and that I need to fix the timing.

Since I bolted the car back together with (what I'm assuming) the timing chains not put on correctly, did it completely throw the timing off? To fix it, do I need to follow the same steps as I did when removing and reinstalling the timing chains or do I need to take the timing chains off and adjust the cams?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Take it apart and and take the chains off. When you put the chains back on double and triple check that the timing links on the chains are lined up with the timing marks on the phasers and the crank sprocket. I noticed its very very easy while installing the chain tensioners for the chains to jump a tooth or two on the sprocket, you really have to double check that after you put tension on the chain. I had it happen to me before, luckily I caught it and fixed it before I put it together.

OP
OP

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
Take it apart and and take the chains off. When you put the chains back on double and triple check that the timing links on the chains are lined up with the timing marks on the phasers and the crank sprocket. I noticed its very very easy while installing the chain tensioners for the chains to jump a tooth or two on the sprocket, you really have to double check that after you put tension on the chain. I had it happen to me before, luckily I caught it and fixed it before I put it together.
So, by what you're saying, I'll be okay to just repeat the process and make sure I don't screw up this time?

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Part of the process is to manually crank the engine over a couple times until your timing marks come back around and line up, to confirm it's correct. If you did that before putting the timing chest cover back on, there's very little chance it jumped time unless something else was installed incorrectly.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack