Infotainment Update Question

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my APIM to one with nav. We ride around a lot in cell free areas in the mountains. How does one get map updates?
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Via download from Ford website.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Via download from Ford website.
I thought you need to enter your VIN to get the official NAV downloads? His VIN won't be listed as a vehicle having NAV if he changes to a NAV enabled APIM unit.
The updates could be done direct over wifi or via the non-official Cyanlabs site using a USB stick.

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I thought you need to enter your VIN to get the official NAV downloads? His VIN won't be listed as a vehicle having NAV if he changes to a NAV enabled APIM unit.
The updates could be done direct over wifi or via the non-official Cyanlabs site using a USB stick.
Jepp, you are correct. I always do the download via Syn3Updater, so i didn’t think about the VIN.

OP
OP
decableguy2000

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
I should have provided a little more info. I'm thinking of going with one from Infotainment that programs your VIN into the unit before shipping.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I should have provided a little more info. I'm thinking of going with one from Infotainment that programs your VIN into the unit before shipping.
In that case I’m not sure. Infotainment should will be able to answer that question.

IbanezRG7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost PP
I swapped to Sync 3 from the smaller base radio and upon putting it in, I converted the VIN on the APIM to my actual VIN via Forscan (I did use it just fine without switching the VIN at first). As for the official updates, Im pretty sure you'll only provide the donor car's VIN for it to link you to the proper download for that APIM. Cyanlabs is unofficial, but it takes the guesswork out of things and also allows you to put newer firmware on older APIMs. My car is a 2018 but the APIM came out of a 2017 so it wasn't technically capable of officially updating to Sync 3.4, but using Cyanlabs, it was possible. Once its installed, you can't tell the difference between an APIM on the official 3.4 and one with the Cyanlabs 3.4. I haven't looked at Infotainment in a while, but I would imagine there are a ton of cheaper places around to get an APIM, also it should be able to come from any Ford with the 8" screen as long as its a Sync 3 module.
Sponsored