Sponsored

Informal Survey: Who in here is signed up/using Ford Pass?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I use mine for the remote start and to schedule service and such. I have a base car so that’s about all it’s good for with me and I’m fine with that.

And yes, you may think you turned all the tracking stuff off on your phone, internet and whatever else, but there is still a minimum amount of data they collect (they all send off an IP address which is tracked and retained, so yes your internet company is indeed tracking you). I just figure it’s the age we live in, don’t do anything stupid and you shouldn’t have anything to hide (not saying I like it, btw). And as mentioned above, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Alexa and yes even Apple collect WAY more data than Ford does.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You are given 42000 points for a new vehicle purchase which is equal to $210 which can be used for service, accessories or toward the purchase of an extended service contract. The amount you paid for your vehicle or the interest rate you received has nothing to do with the app. If your dealer didn't offer to set it up for you, or at least give you the information to do it yourself, it's because they are just plain lazy. It takes less than 5 minutes to complete.
Who pays the $210.00?? Or whatever the points add up to??

It's one of 3 parties; Ford Motor Company, the selling dealer, or the purchaser.

Do you know for a fact who pays it?

Last edited:

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape

It's one of 3 parties; Ford Motor Company, the selling dealer, or the purchaser.

Well since we are the customers, and Ford Motor Company is the supplier, and the dealer is nothing but the connecting link, the cost is ultimately paid for by the customer, thus you and I and every other person who purchases from Ford. My point is that you are paying for it regardless of whether you use it or not. So if you don't use the $210 worth of points, you are just giving that money back to Ford.

Each to their own, but giving them back free money is not on my list of things to do. Get the app, use the points for accessories, service or the oil and filter if you prefer to do it yourself, or toward the purchase of an ESP. Then delete the app and never look back if that's your preference.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
The points are nice for a few oil changes, it would be silly to not take advantage of what is basically free money for some routine maintenance.

But I'm not a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist worried about the durn gubment tracking my every move either, so to each their own.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The dealer set it up when I took delivery of my '19 F150. The only thing I use it for is remote starting the truck in the winter. (Funny how the truck doesn't have the remote start option per se with the fob, but can be remote started via the app.)

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well since we are the customers, and Ford Motor Company is the supplier, and the dealer is nothing but the connecting link, the cost is ultimately paid for by the customer, thus you and I and every other person who purchases from Ford. My point is that you are paying for it regardless of whether you use it or not. So if you don't use the $210 worth of points, you are just giving that money back to Ford.
Oh, my friend.

The DEALER is Ford's customer. Not you. Not me. Not any Ford vehicle owner. Dealers buy the cars, and sell them on. They're the actual customers Ford sells the cars to.

So it's very possible that the dealers pay the $210.00, or whatever.

And my point is that that's a very good reason for a dealer not to mention it. It saves them money....possibly.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
The dealerships are nothing more than a distribution center for Ford. The vehicles are allotted to the dealerships on basically a consignment. They pay for the vehicles after sale or have to make "interest" payments after the vehicle sets on the lot for so long. But this is just splitting hairs that has nothing to do with subject of this thread.

My point was it's figured into the price of the vehicle, no different than a percentage of each vehicle sale price the manufacturer adds to cover recalls and warranty work. You can't get a better deal if you tell the dealer you won't get an warranty work or recalls completed on your vehicle.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Oh, my friend.

The DEALER is Ford's customer. Not you. Not me. Not any Ford vehicle owner. Dealers buy the cars, and sell them on. They're the actual customers Ford sells the cars to.

So it's very possible that the dealers pay the $210.00, or whatever.

And my point is that that's a very good reason for a dealer not to mention it. It saves them money....possibly.
In the UK the dealer forfeits money from Ford if they don't mention / explain / help install Ford Pass

We don't get points over here.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Nope. And I disconnected the TCU (4G/LTE modem.) Ford and company do not need to know my driving habits and/or locations.
On the other hand anonymised usage data is very useful to the car maker for R&D.

They don't care where you are, but they do care about usage data that can help them to improve vehicle reliability etc.

AZRobert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 400a Atlas Blue Auto, Black Accent
I used it for that nice form fitting sunshade on my '21 - back seat is otherwise useless so that is where it was kept when not in use.
When that one was totaled and I ordered my '22 I received more points so I got the trunk liner that was made to go around the subwoofer. And I kept my sunshade and still use it on this one.
The previous poster is correct - If you DON'T use the points you are the one losing out - not the dealer or manufacturer.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The dealerships are nothing more than a distribution center for Ford. The vehicles are allotted to the dealerships on basically a consignment. They pay for the vehicles after sale or have to make "interest" payments after the vehicle sets on the lot for so long.
Dealership pay for the vehicles. It's called "floor-plan financing", and it's a line of credit through the manufacturer, and there's interest. It's basically a credit card used to purchase inventory. It's not consignment at all.

So, the point (again) is that dealers have a motivation to NOT tell their customers about the ap.

My point was it's figured into the price of the vehicle, no different than a percentage of each vehicle sale price the manufacturer adds to cover recalls and warranty work. You can't get a better deal if you tell the dealer you won't get an warranty work or recalls completed on your vehicle.
I don't think it's "figured into the price of the vehicle", as it's too variable, and relatively new.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
In the UK the dealer forfeits money from Ford if they don't mention / explain / help install Ford Pass

We don't get points over here.
That's interesting.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I don't think the sensors actually read when the car isn't on, so I believe it just displays what the pressures last were
The app does give you real time tire pressures if you open the vehicle tab at bottom of app and pull down on the top of the vehicle page to allow it to update the info. It will show date and time of last update or updated now if you just swiped down from the top to force an update.

BD

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Dealership pay for the vehicles. It's called "floor-plan financing", and it's a line of credit through the manufacturer, and there's interest. It's basically a credit card used to purchase inventory. It's not consignment at all.

So, the point (again) is that dealers have a motivation to NOT tell their customers about the ap.

I don't think it's "figured into the price of the vehicle", as it's too variable, and relatively new.
Just because your personal experience was different than everyone else’s doesn’t make you absolutely right no matter how many times you comment this. Not trying to be rude, but I don’t know why you’re disregarding what everyone else is saying, other than you’re trying to justify choosing to give up the $210 you could have. Did you get a specific $210 discount for the “FordPass delete,” or did the rest of us see a $210 add-on for the FordPass option? No, so either way if you choose not to use FordPass, you are certainly the one missing out. It also certainly has nothing to do with the dealers purposely hiding FordPass in an attempt to earn some kind of bonus or something. In fact, as others have already said, the opposite is true which is why the majority of dealers actually promote it as Ford wants them to sign up a certain percentage of customers for the service. My dealer actually had me set up FordPass and activated it a couple days before I even completed the deal and took delivery of my car. The whole privacy issue is another deal and if that is the reason why you choose not to use it, then fine. But your justification that somehow it costs you something to use it, or that it costs the dealer something and so they purposely don’t “offer” you the app is just wrong. And again, whether or not the dealer helps you with setting it up, you can just do it at any time on your own if you want to.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special

I'm not sure I understand the question. Ultimately, the purchaser is paying for everything. Every dime of revenue and profit Ford makes comes from the people who buy its cars. So, sure, the value of the FordPass points are ultimately tacked onto the price of every vehicle Ford sells -- there isn't some rich dude out there paying out of his own pocket.

But it's still money to be had, even if you're just getting it back from what you paid for your car. Think of it is a discount on your purchase, if you want. And leaving it hanging out there unused just improves Ford's profitability, if that's something you're against for some reason.
Sponsored