Sponsored

Incredibly stiff steering after Front sway Bars

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Porsche also has a similar design, and It's definitely the same on those with respect to steering effort/bar setting. It honestly didn't occur to me until Brian mentioned it. The ARB connected to the strut will be twisted (i.e. jacking weight) side to side due to caster lifting one side and allowing the other to drop. Stiffening the front bar makes it more efficient at jacking weight, which increases steering effort.
I'm from the world of double A-arm wishbone suspensions. My last 3 racers were that way. I don't understand why anyone would want a macStrut or strangely angled arms like on our rear lower control arm? I see and I have experienced only negatives so far from a racer's perspective.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm from the world of double A-arm wishbone suspensions. My last 3 racers were that way. I don't understand why anyone would want a macStrut or strangely angled arms like on our rear lower control arm? I see and I have experienced only negatives so far from a racer's perspective.
MacStruts are cheap and work well enough (without being top-shelf excellent). Multilink IRS is almost certainly a solution where ride quality gets first priority. I would take the level of crosstalk between rear camber and rear toe as a give-away here.

Norm

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
It's a street car thing. Mac struts are never as good as dual A-arms, but they can be made to work reasonably well (i.e. Porsche).
Sponsored