Increasing handling performance for 2019 GT convertible

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Looking to improve the performance regarding the handling on my base GT convert, any suggestions on where to start?
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Steeda components - Jacking rails, vertical links, RLCA spherical bearings, irs braces, subframe alignment bushings, subframe support bushings and maybe even lowering springs.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
TIRES. TIRES. TIRES
Tires that come on PP2 at minimum
Lower center of gravity, top down
Lower weight of wheels, driveshaft
Lightweight battery
Lowering springs don't equall better handling.

Thinking you are wanting a better handling street car, not track car. That will be easy with a healthy wallet.

Most likely Steeda will promote a well balanced spring strut shock set that will not sacrifice your ride.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
that will not sacrifice your ride.
Any aftermarket spring/shock combo that increases compression/rbound/spring stiffness and is cheap will sacrifice the ride.

OP if you don't want to sacrifice the ride, get what NGOT8R mentioned plus tires as Interceptor mentioned and you will be golden.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Looking to improve the performance regarding the handling on my base GT convert, any suggestions on where to start?
Start with struts/shocks of course. Then look at springs (depending on your goals) and other suspension bits that Steeda / BMR makes.
It also depends on what you define is handling. For lateral grip, single largest improvement will be tires obviously, although suggestion of buying ones that come with PP2 (which are Sport Cup 2s) is somewhat dumb.

You're worse off having convertible just because chassis stiffness is quite heavily compromised to begin with.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
G-Track brace.
Shock tower brace.
Stop the hop starter kit.
Pro-Action Adjustable shocks.
Springs of your choice.
Wheels & tires. Stick with the Micheline MP4Ss.
Billet aluminum vertical links with polyurethane bushings.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
G-Track brace.
Shock tower brace.
Springs of your choice.
G-Track brace.
Shock tower brace.
Springs of your choice.
Think I'll start with the G-Track brace and then move on to the stop the hop kit. Do either of these make for a less comfortable ride?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Start with the jacking rails. You may find you don't need as much else as you thought.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Start with the jacking rails. You may find you don't need as much else as you thought.
They were already on the list, thanks. Look like an easy install.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
The biggest anti-sway bars you can install without hacking things up. If you're going to use the car as a driver don't mess with the springs. This subject's been beaten to death on the Corvette forum. You may improve handling with lowering springs, but if you're driving on real roads, ground clearance may be an issue.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Think I'll start with the G-Track brace and then move on to the stop the hop kit. Do either of these make for a less comfortable ride?
Nope, no less comfortable ride with those two. May I offer a few other observations?

Most certainly, start with the structure of the car first. Do the G-track, the strut-tower brace, and add in the jacking rails. Unless the convertible structure is stiffened, you won't get the real benefits from the handling improvements like shocks, springs, Stop The Hop kit etc.

The combination of the Steeda Adjustable Pro Action shocks, the Stop The Hop starter kit, and the billet aluminum vertical links with poly bushings actually made my 2016 ride better. Yes, it was firmer, but smoother. The quality of the shocks really lessens harshness. Plus you can then adjust the shocks to your taste.

Tires also play a huge part in a comfortable ride. I put Firestone Indy 500 Max Performance Summer Only tires on my 2016, and it created an extremely soft ride. Those tires have a very soft side-wall for a Max Performance Summer Only tire, but that does lessen steering sharpness.
Sponsored