Impressed & Surprised w/Steeda Bumpstops

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by Roadway 5.0, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0 Strassejager

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2016GT PP 6MT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I installed Steeda adjustable bumpstops on my ProAction shocks a few days ago and am impressed, and surprised frankly, of the improvements I feel. To note:

1) The steeda "short stack" for the rear dampers are about 1/8" shorter than my properly trimmed OEM stops. If you line-up OEM stops and the steeda short stack, the Steeda's height are just about in line with the top of the black dense portion of the OEM stops.

2) The Steeda bumpstops are STOUT. Polyurethane, I believe, and you cannot compress these by hand like the OEM stops. In fact, I couldn't compress the Steeda bits when jumping on them (yes I did this...wife thought I was nuts).

3) What surprised me the most was that these significantly more dense stops actually improved the ride -- they did not make anything harsher. While driving on relatively normal smooth pavement I noticed no difference between old and new (naturally), however when I hit sharp imperfections or came down from a steep speed bump the difference was clear: the pogo effect is gone after sharp/steep impacts. In fact, not only is the pogo effect gone, but the impact feels and sounds refined.

4) The bumpstops are gorgeous. Deep Steeda blue...too bad I can't see them once installed. At ~$50 for a set I may place another order and put them up on my mantle.

In the end, I would recommend these adjustable bumpstops to anyone willing to install them. They for sure help with lowered cars, but I can now see a clear value in installing these even if you have an OEM spring/damper setup. I'm really curious if installing these bumpstops could solve the OEM bouncey ride in lieu of installing a series of parts...seems to me the OEM stops are too tall (even for stock springs) and the material isn't dense enough for a refined ride.

- Mike

2. Biggsy

Biggsy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    Interesting. Thanks for this review because I am planning on picking up a set of FRPP dampers and was wondering if I could use Steeda’s bumpstops instead. Is it okay if they are not exact to the recommended OEM trim length? I am going to run BMR springs on them

[email protected] likes this.
  3. Jigar@Steeda

[email protected] Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT PP
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the review. To be honest, I couldn't have said it better. They are a work of wonder. The two-piece design allows you to use them with factory setups(non-lowered cars) and the short stack allows you to run it with any lowered car.

Roadway 5.0 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0 Strassejager

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2016GT PP 6MT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I’m not sure of the shaft diameter on the FRPP track dampers so I can’t guarantee fitment, but I’m fairly certain you’ll have no issues. I’ll defer to @SteedaTech for confirmation.

As far as using the Steeda stops as opposed to the FRPP units, you’ll be 100% ok here so long as they fit on the shaft. They are more dense so being a bit shorter will not prevent them from protecting your dampers.

5. ModularKid21

ModularKid21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    ‘15 GT
    0   0   0
    I have the Steeda adjustable bump stops as well and I had the exact same experiences. I went back and forth with whether I should cut the oem stops or just get the Steeda adjustables. After a lot of research I decided to just go for it and I’m glad I did. As you stated, they are SOLID, but without providing a harsh ride. I installed my suspension at work over two evenings so I didn’t get to see what they would’ve done by themselves, but I suspect there’d be a noticeable difference.

Depending on when you decide do install said parts, you should take a ride in my car as I have the FRPP dampers and Steeda bump stops so I can confirm that they do indeed fit without issue. I also live in MD so I’m sure we could figure something out

6. Biggsy

Biggsy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    Much appreciated. Will definitely take you up on that offer. What are you lowered on by the way?

7. Mootang

Mootang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Henry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Awesome review, I always liked their bumpstops.

I had Steeda's bump stops since they first came out for the Mustangs. Used them on the a Roush coilover setup, then switched the back to Vikings dampeners with their bump stop, and now on the FRPP struts and dampers with BMR handling springs SP083. I couldn't switch away from their bumpstops and was always impressed with them. I have no rubber bushings on my suspension setup and running the Steeda's bumpstop still aids in the ride quality.

8. ModularKid21

ModularKid21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    ‘15 GT
    0   0   0
    I’m using the Steeda ultralite linear springs

9. SteedaTech

SteedaTech Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Q750
    0   0   0
    Yes,They will work just fine with the production or FRPP dampers.

Thank you,
    Steeda Tech

Biggsy likes this.
  10. Biggsy

Biggsy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    Assembling my struts and springs this weekend...being that I have the same suspension as you, you only used one of the stackable bumpstops right? I know dumb question but being that the springs don’t give too much drop, I wasn’t sure if you stack them for stock ride height or the shorter height for lowered vehicles.

11. Mootang

Mootang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Henry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    No stacks on mines. I just use the shorter version and did not add the additional thinner stackable stops (never have lol). Should be only a total of 4 pieces of the dark navy blue bump stops used.

Biggsy likes this.
  12. Biggsy

Biggsy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    Perfect. Thank you!

Mootang likes this.
  13. tj@steeda

[email protected] Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Steeda Mustang
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Since this thread has resurfaced, here is a nice video we did on the subject: