Sponsored

I'm a bit disappointed.

eldar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - My2017
A few things about my car disappoint be a little. Rather more don't, so win so far.

Handling is way, way better than my previous Mustangs. Throwing away the live rear axle is a GOOD THING.

Build quality is OK, the fix-this-under-warranty list is commendably short and trivial. Also good.

LHD to RHD conversion is iffy, but understandable.

Touchscreen is shite. Really does need a alternative way of controlling the thing rather than vague left hand prodding.

OK, the above is just stuff, not a problem.

My gripe is performance. In Normal mode the engine feels like the flywheel is about 750KG, so slow to respond. Sport + reduces it to 500KG. Still dull. The 6 speed autobox is similarly pudding like.

Transmission in S and manual changing in Sport + seems to be the way to go. But throttle response is still a bit lumpen. It really doesn't feel like 415bhp car. Perhaps I'm expecting too much.
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The V8 needs revs, it doesn't liven up until > 4k rpm.

I found the sync 2 was more responsive than the sync 3.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
As Gr11M said, the 5.0 is rev happy, and you won't really have that "slammed into your seat" feeling unless you are at least over 3.5K while gunning it. Also, that's kind of one of the main problems of having an auto. With a stick, you can easily adjust where you want to be in the RPM range by dropping a gear or two. Obviously, you can do so using paddle shifters with autos to have the same effect, but it is MUCH easier to be in control of your RPMS with a stick. And the touchscreen is actually pretty good IMO, especially when compared to GMs and Dodges (I prefer my Sync3 a lot more than my screen in my C7Z06). And if you really think that it feel "dull", easy solution: go with FI. Won't feel dull then.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
You know you can talk to the car rather than prod the touchscreen?

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Get in touch with lund racing. They will help you in waking up the mustang and make it run as it should.

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, it's not particularly fluent in Scots to be fair...
"I cannae find en-knee grub, im hankin"

"I've found these local resturants in your area"

"Aye thers a gud lassie"

;)

p.s having driven a few v8's (All N/A) all with differing tunes etc. It's always laggy, some are better low end but the 5.0 needs to rev hard up past 4k, and if you're going for speed/feel of speed it needs to stay over 4k as well, then it really punches, below it, it feels sedate and slow, it's not actually slow, it just feels it. If you want to feel fast, go with a forced induction car ;)!

Sponsored
OP
OP

eldar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - My2017
I assume you tested the manual and 10 speed on 18 before choosing the 6 speed auto??
No, the MY18 was outside my budget. SWMBO is slightly disabled, so can't manage a manual for any length of time, so the 6 speed it had to be.

I like to use the paddles to shift manually, which is fine with a 6/7 speed box but gets a bit wearing with a 9/10 speed (my previous mercs have been 7 & 9 gear). It don't feel the car is lacking gears, I just don't think the change is as sharp as BMW or MB equivalent, but it isn't bad by ay means.

OP
OP

eldar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - My2017
As Gr11M said, the 5.0 is rev happy, and you won't really have that "slammed into your seat" feeling unless you are at least over 3.5K while gunning it. Also, that's kind of one of the main problems of having an auto. With a stick, you can easily adjust where you want to be in the RPM range by dropping a gear or two. Obviously, you can do so using paddle shifters with autos to have the same effect, but it is MUCH easier to be in control of your RPMS with a stick. And the touchscreen is actually pretty good IMO, especially when compared to GMs and Dodges (I prefer my Sync3 a lot more than my screen in my C7Z06). And if you really think that it feel "dull", easy solution: go with FI. Won't feel dull then.
Touch screen is easier in LHD cars, assuming you are right handed:) RHD and right handed just gets a few random prods...

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Touch screen is easier in LHD cars, assuming you are right handed:) RHD and right handed just gets a few random prods...
Fair and valid point. I also can't imagine shifting with my left hand either, but I guess that's all a question of habit. I imagine it would be pretty weird for me to transition over to using my left hand in order to use my car.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Fair and valid point. I also can't imagine shifting with my left hand either, but I guess that's all a question of habit. I imagine it would be pretty weird for me to transition over to using my left hand in order to use my car.
You would be surprised how quickly you get used to driving on the "wrong" side. It becomes second nature after a while and starts to feel natural, never quite as natural as what you are used to though. The actual driving of the car is the easy bit, road position & road rules are the challenge.

Regarding the OP, I too have experienced the laziness feeling of the V8 (coming up from an EB), as they say, it comes down to what you are used to & how you drive it. Definitely got a lot of character & an absolute blast once you get in to the swing of the engine

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I'm with you on the lazy engine thing.. I have been plodding around in mine and have done just over 600 miles now, no, it doesnt get out much!!

Last week i floored it for the first time, everything in normal mode and OMG.. does that engine wake up at 5K RPM!! I've had three GTR's, and the feeling is similar to those lazy turbos kicking in. I can only assume things will improve as it loosens up and once I've spoken to Guy at @Nemesis I shall be getting on the Lund wagon.
Sponsored