Bit of a Dilemma please help

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Even if someone was to steal it, they probably wouldn't even need the keys. They may be able to boost the signal from the keys and simply jump in and drive away.
Don't sell it especially not back to the Ford dealership as they are robbing you themselves.
Leaving the keys by the door makes it very easy to steal. Signal boosters will make it easy to get in so keep the keys in a tin to block the signal. If keyless entry had been a delete option I would taken it. "convienience' just make cars easier to steal.
MLK get one of those drop down posts that can be locked vertical fitted on your drive
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Leaving the keys by the door makes it very easy to steal. Signal boosters will make it easy to get in so keep the keys in a tin to block the signal. If keyless entry had been a delete option I would taken it. "convienience' just make cars easier to steal.
MLK get one of those drop down posts that can be locked vertical fitted on your drive
Think you're missing the point, OP is worried about someone holding him ransom in his home with his fam/kids for the keys, that's why they've stated put them by the door and let them get them.

I was testing how far 'Unlock' works on the key to the car... It's got an obscene range, I think I managed a clear line of sights and about 100ft in distance and it unlocked... Keyless is way shorted though :lol:

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Hi there

Fully understand the safety for your family, so why don't you just leave the keys on a table near the front / back door. Then if someone breaks in for the car, the keys are there and your unlikely to be woken up by an intruder.

Alternatively do as my mate does, he has a very angry Staffy and his keyfob goes on its collar every night. They want the keys, fine go ask the dog for them. ;)
Awesome! Bunny ball ball!

@mkl_mus Id definitely wouldn't sell it, but rather look for a nearby rental garage instead.

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Just let the dog sleep in the car!!:paddle:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Even if someone was to steal it, they probably wouldn't even need the keys. They may be able to boost the signal from the keys and simply jump in and drive away.
Don't sell it especially not back to the Ford dealership as they are robbing you themselves.
Why my keys are kept in lined pouches that reduce the signal to around 1ft, so car will only unlock if I am literally right next to it and then put then in a tin box, no signal is getting boosted then. :D

Sponsored

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
I'm sure we've all had the anxious feeling when we've come home with our new Mustang, I know I did.

It caused a stir in the street when it arrived. The local teens were out giving it close inspections, taking photos and posting them to insta-snap or whatever it is called. Yes I was nervous, but the car was respected and I've (touch wood) not had any untoward experiences - and I would describe my street as 'middle of the road'.

Oh and as others have noted, get an aftermarket exhaust. If anything was to happen, you and those within 1/2 a mile will know about it.

As for the keys, don't hide them but don't make it too easy. Your families safety comes first.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Stealing a Mustang? Nah- a bit too obvious a car, and too rare not to be fairly obvious.

Having the car vandalised, the ransom bit.. all that stuff; sure, not a great thought. Mine got FAR too much attention (it's Red; whatayagonnado?) so it's covered. It'll probably end up garaged when the space is available.

Life's too short to worry about such things; the BMW next door; across the road; the big Audi Q7 two doors down.. hell, the chap with TWO Astons nearby - all of these cars are worth well north of our cheapy US rubbish ;) if anyone is going to steal something, it'll be the invisible car, not the loud yank.

OP
OP

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
Hi All

Thanks for all the great advice on this question the responses are really useful for me in making my final decision. :D
For now I have decided to keep the car for another week and see if I still feel the same as i certainly wouldn't want to make a quick decision I would regret :)
I'm not trying to get a sale out of doing this post that certainly is not my intention, I know it seems ludicrous to be even thinking of moving a car on based on paranoia of something which is very unlikely to happen, I did consider this before i got the car as I just live on a normal street and not a gated community and the car does stick out which is to be expected lol
Its a nice area not a rough street or anything and anyway it could happen no matter where you live, like some have said if they want to get in they would find a way.
If someone is going to steel it i wouldn't try and stop them it was just the thought of someone breaking into my house and potentially walking upstairs and trying to locate keys etc maybe going into my kids bedrooms.
Guess i need to stop reading stories of this type of thing happening on the internet and fuelling my paranoia :headbonk:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All

Thanks for all the great advice on this question the responses are really useful for me in making my final decision. :D
For now I have decided to keep the car for another week and see if I still feel the same as i certainly wouldn't want to make a quick decision I would regret :)
I'm not trying to get a sale out of doing this post that certainly is not my intention, I know it seems ludicrous to be even thinking of moving a car on based on paranoia of something which is very unlikely to happen, I did consider this before i got the car as I just live on a normal street and not a gated community and the car does stick out which is to be expected lol
Its a nice area not a rough street or anything and anyway it could happen no matter where you live, like some have said if they want to get in they would find a way.
If someone is going to steel it i wouldn't try and stop them it was just the thought of someone breaking into my house and potentially walking upstairs and trying to locate keys etc maybe going into my kids bedrooms.
Guess i need to stop reading stories of this type of thing happening on the internet and fuelling my paranoia :headbonk:
You have more chance of winning the lottery than all of those situations happening ;)!

My gated community had an R8 stolen from it months back, house was literally walked into, and keys taken, my neighbour said he's shocked they didn't take anything else. Ipads, Phones, His watch etc which he said were sat on the table with the keys.
Police said it was 'stolen to order'. And there was a dark blue Beamer parked outside of our bit for around 3 weeks that we were all curious of, so somehow think they're linked.
Anyway, my Mustang is in the Garage, and every house up here has a CCTV camera.

Oh and I have my sword/knife :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OP
OP

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
You have more chance of winning the lottery than all of those situations happening ;)!

My gated community had an R8 stolen from it months back, house was literally walked into, and keys taken, my neighbour said he's shocked they didn't take anything else. Ipads, Phones, His watch etc which he said were sat on the table with the keys.
Police said it was 'stolen to order'. And there was a dark blue Beamer parked outside of our bit for around 3 weeks that we were all curious of, so somehow think they're linked.
Anyway, my Mustang is in the Garage, and every house up here has a CCTV camera.

Oh and I have my sword/knife :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Exactly i don't think some opportunist would try and steel this kind of car just for a joy ride it would likely be more calculated than that. I do have CCTV up at the front/back and an alarm, best i have for protection is a rolling pin :D

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly i don't think some opportunist would try and steel this kind of car just for a joy ride it would likely be more calculated than that. I do have CCTV up at the front/back and an alarm, best i have for protection is a rolling pin :D
Should be alright then, would be a fairly easy insurance claim "My cars been stolen" - Provide CCTV, and you'll get paid out for a new one/a new one.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Always liked this idea...

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]71ncK0PZwT8[/MEDIA]"]

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
If it's on your drive why not simply install a ram raid post. I have on that protects a few others on the drive, it's concreted in and nothing on earth will shift it outside the key. No one could steal the car if they did get the car keys. If they want to raid the house and hold you to ransom then we are taking a whole level of crime here way above the norm and the Mustang would not be worth it for the thief that way.
Remove the ease of stealing and you will be fine, you can't live life worrying what might happen, take steps to make sure it doesn't though !

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I keep our keys under the wife's pillow.
It has a couple of benefits. First, its the last place they will look and second, I should remain unharmed should they find them.
Sponsored