Sponsored

If you absolutely had to get an automatic...

Darkslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. It's a great forum you have here.

I am looking for a new car, and the 2015 Mustang was at the top of my list for a long time. However, my wife is insisting that I get an automatic for my next car. My current car is a 2005 WRX STi, and I have taught her to drive stick on that, but she absolutely hates it and refuses to drive it. I fought her for a while on this, but it is not worth getting divorced over...

I was disappointed to find out that the PP is not available with the 2015 automatic. I could wait until next year but there is no guarantee that it will be available then either. Plus I have been reading that the Mustang automatic is not up to par with the ZF 8-speeds and DCTs in some other cars. Coming from an STi, I'm afraid I won't be happy with an automatic unless it is top notch. If I was getting a manual, I would definitely get the 2015 GT PP and call it a day, but I'm not so sure about the auto.

If you absolutely had to get an automatic, what would you buy? I am considering the Challenger 8-speed auto, but the car is just so heavy. I live in California near the mountains, so handling is a pretty high priority for me. I would love all that horsepower though. The Audi S3 is another option, but I'm wondering how tame it will feel compared to my STi. I don't care so much about luxury, I actually like a car that is more raw. The 2016 Golf R would be another option but I just hate hatch backs. Finally, I could look at the BMW m235i, but it's out of my price range. I was looking to stay around $40K.

The best option may be just to wait and see what comes out next year. Maybe I will get lucky and the GT auto will get the PP. I think it's a long shot that Ford will come out with a top notch automatic transmission though. The Camaro is more likely to get the 8-speed auto from the Corvette, so maybe that is an option, but I just like the Mustang a lot more than the Camaro. Plus I have heard that the visibility in the Camaro is terrible.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully this doesn't stir up too much drama. I posted here because everyone seems very level headed and friendly. We are all cars guys, and there are a lot of good options now a days.
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I'd get the mustang and throw a good tune from someone like vmp to firm up the shifts slightly. Which is exactly what I'm doing. However I have an LE so I have auto and PP.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
My wife wanted me to get an auto. I told her that they don't make auto mustangs anymore:lol:

Turrizm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the automatic mustang gt with 3:55 gears and I love it. Works great to me. I also had a WRX STI before this. Go for a test drive. You'll probably love it.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Be aware, GM and Ford are working together to produce a new 10-speed auto for rear wheel drive applications. I'm hoping the '16 Camaro has this, but there are no guarantees it'll be ready by then. I suspect we won't see it in the Mustang until the refresh ('18MY?).

There's more chance the GT PP will be available as an auto (the 50th LE version of the Mustang is already available as such). Hopefully the '16MY for Mustang makes this option available.

Otherwise, get an auto GT, add a tune and upgrade the suspension. There are a multitude of options available already.

:)

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
How often does your wife drive the car? How often do you?

My wife and I are lucky enough to have a "his car" and a "hers car". Hers is an automatic, mine is a stick, and when we swap cars each of us needs to compromise a little.

If she isn't driving your car much, and you are driving it often, maybe she can compromise to let you get what you really want. Of course if she is driving it half the time, then it's probably fair for you to compromise quite a bit more.

If you want handling, you might consider the Ecoboost with the PP, as that combination can be had with an auto. I test drove one around the block (at Frontier Ford in SJ), and it was quite nice. The automatic was not great, but it was OK. The engine was very good, and if you check the EB modification section you can see that it won't take much to make these engines really powerful (I think a larger intercooler, oil cooler, and tune will really open up the power).

And of course the aftermarket for both the GT and EB versions will be very large, so I'm sure it will be pretty easy to get some stiffer shocks/sways/springs no matter which version you go with. That would let you go with the GT without the PP, and adjust the suspension to your liking later.

GM just introduced their 8-speed transmission into the Vette for 2015 (it's a rear-mount, so not sure if they have a front mount version ready), but to me that implies that a 10-speed is still a couple years away. Of course I could be wrong on that.

I personally am a die hard stick-shift guy, so I actually don't really care about waiting for an automatic with more speeds or a dual-clutch. Either has taken the fun away for me, so I'd be fine with the current A6 and learning to love the paddles.

-T

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
I would honestly say, that if you like the mustang that much and really want the PP, try to find an Automatic LE. They wont be easy to find and even harder to find at close to MSRP but they are out there. Someone is selling an Auto HERE but you can likely find one in TX or Cali for sale too I'm sure.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
My sti brethren....go with the auto. The 6R80 is the better transmission, no matter what the mt-82 loyals tell you.

I have had both transmissions, I went from a MT-82 to a 6R80 and have no regrets. I was only happy with my 6M when I didn’t need it to perform. I wanted to like it, but knowing it was not going to be able to hold what I had planned for it and the constant issues I had with the transmission had me looking into the 6R80. If you look around, you will notice issues with the MT-82 still linger.

Here are a few vids of factory autos at the office.

The only issue i have with my mustang now....is knowing it will not be able to keep up with my sti.:doh:

Last edited:

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
So glad I have my wife. I have a Boss 302 with no mufflers on it....;)

Sponsored

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
I had to get an auto, otherwise how would I be able to hold my wifes hand while I drive?

Figures

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you absolutely had to get an automatic...

I would have bought one off the lot weeks ago.. since they had pretty much the car I wanted in an auto on the lot in town.

I did not have to get one though as this car is for me as I have driven the same car for 9 years and the wife has had 2 new cars.

vanguard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco guard
if i'm getting auto i'm not getting a mustang

s3 or the gti sound like better choices
Sponsored