Sponsored

Should I sell my Mustang and get a C7 Corvette ?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Don't care about what you think they are or what you think a sports car is ... fact is you or i don’t have the skill to drive Nascar or Gt3 or 4, yet you hold yourself up like your some kind of expert. Our cars are not determined by your criterion. They are determined by what we think they are regardless of whether you agree or not.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously hope you are joking now. If not, spend about 60 second performing research on what Nascar cars actually are. You probably think that Nascar Camry is slightly modified one off the dealership.
Can a NASCAR Camry shoot flames like a Modded street Camry? Didn’t think so

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you're young and then knock yourself out. If you're not then... well.. yeah... no.. Corvette is like wearing a toupe if you're over 40.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 57 and I'm on my fourth mustang..

Last edited:

Sponsored

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
My vote is c7 IF you have another car you can drive. I don't know if I could drive mine every day even if the weather permitted. It's low and hard to get in and out of. It ride much rougher than the mustang but performance absolutely blows the mustang away hands down and still gets better fuel economy at the same time (not that I care about that). If you are into modding, pound for pound, the mustang wins by far. It's way cheaper to mod the coyote compared to GM's powerplants. Now keep in mind I'm comparing a performance pack GT with a roush phase 2 to a c7 z06 so there's a lot of gray area in between what you may be considering. They are both absolutely fantastic cars but I have to give the edge to the c7.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you're young and then knock yourself out. If you're not then... well.. yeah... no.. Corvette is like wearing a toupe if you're over 40.
Nah. Corvette isn't really an old man's car. It's just that a new Corvette is too expensive for most young guys, and too impractical for guys in their 30s and 40s with kids who may actually be able to afford one (i.e., me), so they end up buying their first Corvette in their 50s when a) their kids are grown and gone and b) they can afford one. That'll be me, by the way. I enjoy taking my kids on drives and I couldn't justify the Z06 purchase with no back seats. I'll probably end up with a C9 Z06 once my kids are grown and out of the house. Or, maybe an end of run C8 Z06 - but I'm not in love with the C8 looks - I much prefer the C7 Z06 styling over the C8. We'll see once the C8 Z06 comes out what styling improvements are made.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sooooo...it's not an old man's car...but only old guys buy them. Am I missing something?
Yes you are missing something.... a mid-life crisis.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nah. Corvette isn't really an old man's car. It's just that a new Corvette is too expensive for most young guys, and too impractical for guys in their 30s and 40s with kids who may actually be able to afford one (i.e., me), so they end up buying their first Corvette in their 50s when a) their kids are grown and gone and b) they can afford one.
Yeah, that's not a bad take. Around here, I see a lot of older dudes driving Z4s, same formula.

When does that usually happen? I want to put it in my calendar and start saving.
Well, I didn't want to wait, so I started in my late 20s, got Vette, then went more age appropriate, but had a second, late term mid-life, so you can have one (or several), whenever it's convenient ...

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
When does that usually happen? I want to put it in my calendar and start saving.
I think you're safe now if you go used throw some off road headers on, cam it, and get some big\littles. Might be more of a cop magnet than a chick magnet though.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Mine started shortly after getting my driver's license, and has continued to this day.....

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
Contemplating trading/selling my '17 GT350 for a C7 coupe (Z51 or Grand Sport). I really like the idea of a T-Top but I'm afraid I'd miss the powertrain on this car too much. Really torn.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Contemplating trading/selling my '17 GT350 for a C7 coupe (Z51 or Grand Sport). I really like the idea of a T-Top but I'm afraid I'd miss the powertrain on this car too much. Really torn.
That was the exact trade I was looking to make after owning my GT350 for 3.5 years. Here's why I didn't go with the C7:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23705281/2017-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-reliability/

I really wanted a Grand Sport, but I didn't want to deal with bent rims.

I also read a review with info about problems with the removable top. Mostly the problems were noise, but I have some safety concerns about tracking a car with a removable top. And I wanted to go to the track with the car.

And I didn't really like the gaudy large screens on the dash. Finally, the cabin is just too claustrophobic for me. My head is nearly touching the roof. I didn't think I would fit into the car with a helmet on.

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
That was the exact trade I was looking to make after owning my GT350 for 3.5 years. Here's why I didn't go with the C7:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23705281/2017-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-reliability/

I really wanted a Grand Sport, but I didn't want to deal with bent rims.

I also read a review with info about problems with the removable top. Mostly the problems were noise, but I have some safety concerns about tracking a car with a removable top. And I wanted to go to the track with the car.

And I didn't really like the gaudy large screens on the dash. Finally, the cabin is just too claustrophobic for me. My head is nearly touching the roof. I didn't think I would fit into the car with a helmet on.
Thanks for the link. Good read.

I’m only 5’5” so fitting in a car isn’t a problem for me. The bent wheel thing seems like a recurring theme and I’ve seen that over on the Corvette forums. I guess you could say the same about the GT350 oil consumption issues (mine uses a little but not enough to warrant a replacement engine…yet).

I definitely hear you on the idea of tracking a car with a removable roof too. My wife doesn’t really care for the idea of having a 2 seater (though she loves corvettes) but the practicality isn’t really why you buy a car like that. And we have an SUV for practicality’s sake. Tough choice. I guess I’d have to try and rent a C7 and spend a day with it or try and find one near me to actually drive and see how it feels. I do think the 350’s power plant is way more unique and special and that’s what is really keeping me from doing it I think. If it were a Bullitt or a GT PP I’d have made this decision by now easily.
Sponsored