Sponsored

If Discount Tire owns Tire Rack + 285 or 295 on 10" wide wheel?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I keep hearing how certain tires have really rounded edges (EC Sport 02's and Conti for example), and how there is at times a large difference between makes/models between the same size tires because of this.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, someone's 295 may have the same effective patch as another's 305? (just using those for example)

Am I understanding this correct?
Contact patch will always be the same size, assuming no other variables have changed.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
contact patch varies by PSI, carcas construction, and sidewall stiffness. Don't get wrapped around the axle and no, 305 contact patch is not always bigger than 295.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The shoulders are not typically part of the contact patch. They play into the overall width/appearance. This thread is referencing overall width and not necessarily contact patch.

Both tires in this picture are 305/35r20. The one on the left is the Conti, on the right is the Nitto rii drag radial. Don't be fooled by the height, they are the same, but you can see the difference in width.

I keep hearing how certain tires have really rounded edges (EC Sport 02's and Conti for example), and how there is at times a large difference between makes/models between the same size tires because of this.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, someone's 295 may have the same effective patch as another's 305? (just using those for example)

Am I understanding this correct?
Tires.jpg
Sponsored