Sponsored

If Discount Tire owns Tire Rack + 285 or 295 on 10" wide wheel?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you explain this? If that is the case then I should just stick with the 275's?
depends on a lot of factors.
corner weight / in^2 of contact pitch = PSI. More PSI = more mechanical grip.

Modulo of course surface, tire compound, void ratio, tire PSI, carcass temp and for purposes of sudden launch, pliability of sidewall which is somewhat correlated to height of sidewall.

The contact patch of a 305 tire vs 275 while holding everything else constant is wider Left/Right but shorter Front/Back than the 275. You'd have to actually measure the in^2 of various tire pressures and so forth to find where the inflection points are.

If you have a SC then the tire size difference between 275 and 305/315 is probably pointless because you'll still going to spin both at mere hint of throttle.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You can run 305/30R max all around. See the attached. I run staggered but have 305/35Rs on the rear using a 19x10 wheel.
Bs, there is a difference between what physically fit and what is the optimum size for handling
Just for look, sure, 305 will physically fit on a 10 but the right rim size is 11 if you’re remotely interested in handling
And btw, that also includes same size tires front and rear

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The contact patch of a 305 tire vs 275 while holding everything else constant is wider Left/Right but shorter Front/Back than the 275. You'd have to actually measure the in^2 of various tire pressures and so forth to find where the inflection points are.
ok thanks for this. Starting to see the point, sorta.
So comparing a 275/40x19 to a 315/30x20 The 275 is actually taller by about .3" (27.7 for 275 and 27.4 for the 315) but the lower aspect ratio will not allow as much flex in the sidewall thus decreasing contact patch area????

I'm probably way off but I want to get this so please bare with me, thanks

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sidewall flex is an input variable but there are 20 more. Get a piece of glass and some grease and set your tire down on it and you can directly meausre the footprint.

The other poster's point was "wider therefore must be better" is not true.

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
sidewall flex is an input variable but there are 20 more. Get a piece of glass and some grease and set your tire down on it and you can directly meausre the footprint.

The other poster's point was "wider therefore must be better" is not true.
Thanks!
I haven't bought tires just yet. I was more concerned with keeping the OA diameter as close to 27+" as possible to avoid lowering the car any more.

According to the tire comparison tool 285/30x20 Fr and 315/30x20 Rr will net a differential diameter of 2.6% (the same as stock) so the ABS gods will be pleased. This combo will decrease the OA diameter by 1" in the front (from what I have now) so 1/2" lower to the ground up front. The rear will be .3" less in OA diameter so it will lower the car .15" to the ground. I think the headers gods will be comfortable as well... I hope.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Discount owns TireRack and will match what may be on the site, along with any benefits; or thus they did for me. I get the question, just don't see the need to buy from TireRack. If you have a Discount, just go there and get them. I just went through this and the OTD cost was the same regardless.
Thanks for this. I printed out the Tire rack shopping cart and the Discount shopping cart and went to the local Discount Tire store. He matched everything line for line including the free two year certificate. I get the rebate from Continental and the 5% instant off for using the Discount card plus 12 month no interest.

The guy at Discount was awesome!

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Thanks for this. I printed out the Tire rack shopping cart and the Discount shopping cart and went to the local Discount Tire store. He matched everything line for line including the free two year certificate. I get the rebate from Continental and the 5% instant off for using the Discount card plus 12 month no interest.

The guy at Discount was awesome!
Thank you for the shout out! We do appreciate your patronage!

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Lived in Hendersonville TN and loved Discount Tire. They helped with wheel/tire conversion from Honda Odyssey's horrible run-flat wheels/tires. Saved money and got great service. Later moved to Greensboro, NC and got the same wonderful sales, excellent work, and follow-up service. Even took care of mileage prorating, no questions asked. Moved to FL, and closest one is 51 miles away. Had to schedule trips to east FL to make worthwhile. Oh how I miss Discount Tire. Wish they'd locate in Riverview area.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Lived in Hendersonville TN and loved Discount Tire. They helped with wheel/tire conversion from Honda Odyssey's horrible run-flat wheels/tires. Saved money and got great service. Later moved to Greensboro, NC and got the same wonderful sales, excellent work, and follow-up service. Even took care of mileage prorating, no questions asked. Moved to FL, and closest one is 51 miles away. Had to schedule trips to east FL to make worthwhile. Oh how I miss Discount Tire. Wish they'd locate in Riverview area.
Wow! Thank you for the kind words, and your support.

I don't have a current list of store openings in Florida to go by, but I will say that we are aggressively looking for new areas to grow in. Keep your eyes peeled!

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I guess everybody has a bad day ever once in a while. Looks like the guys at Discount are no exception. Three of the four wheels came out looking fantastic but one wheel didn't. The guy mounting the tire to the wheel made 8 not so nice symmetrical double grooved scratches on the inside edge and barrel of the wheel. The manager took a look. He was not at all happy about their performance so he apologized and ordered me a new wheel. I will be unable to swap to the new wheels for about a week but at least I am not out of commission till then. Bad day but good recovery Discount Tire.

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Sorry to hear about the experience @stungjoe and thank you for your understanding. Things will happen and when they do, we do our best to make it right. Glad to hear the store manager is getting you taken care of.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Are you lowered and/or you planning to lower your car? You will see people running different sizes in the 20's. I have the 20x10 and 20x11 Velgen VF5 and the Velgen Classic 5V2 and run Continental Extremecontact Sport 02, 285/35r20 front and 305/35r20 rears on the Classic 5v2 and run Nitto 555rii drag radials with matching 555g2 on the fronts in 275/35r20 fronts and 305/25r20 rears on the VF5. The car sits a bit different depending on which set of wheels I have on, but both work great.

I am sure your setup will get you where you want to be. Are you seeing a lot of fender gap with your new set-up?

Thanks!
I haven't bought tires just yet. I was more concerned with keeping the OA diameter as close to 27+" as possible to avoid lowering the car any more.

According to the tire comparison tool 285/30x20 Fr and 315/30x20 Rr will net a differential diameter of 2.6% (the same as stock) so the ABS gods will be pleased. This combo will decrease the OA diameter by 1" in the front (from what I have now) so 1/2" lower to the ground up front. The rear will be .3" less in OA diameter so it will lower the car .15" to the ground. I think the headers gods will be comfortable as well... I hope.

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Are you lowered and/or you planning to lower your car? I have the 20x10 and 20x11 Velgen VF5 and the Velgen Classic 5V2 and run Continental Extremecontact Sport 02, 285/35r20 front and 305/35r20 rears on the Classic 5v2

I am sure your setup will get you where you want to be. Are you seeing a lot of fender gap with your new set-up?
I am lowered on the Steeda Dual rate springs for Magneride. My set-up is identical to yours with the Classic5 V2. I haven't been able to swap things over from my current combo but I do anticipate some wheel gap up front. The over-all diameter will be 1" less so :frown: It's unfortunate but I am looking to experiment with some rears being placed up front and getting things squared up. The EC Sport 02's have a pretty rounded shoulder so this may help me fit the 305's up front.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Oh yes, I meant to mention how rounded the shoulders are on the Conti.

I am lowered on the Steeda Dual rate springs for Magneride. My set-up is identical to yours with the Classic5 V2. I haven't been able to swap things over from my current combo but I do anticipate some wheel gap up front. The over-all diameter will be 1" less so :frown: It's unfortunate but I am looking to experiment with some rears being placed up front and getting things squared up. The EC Sport 02's have a pretty rounded shoulder so this may help me fit the 305's up front.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dodd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP1
Oh yes, I meant to mention how rounded the shoulders are on the Conti.
I keep hearing how certain tires have really rounded edges (EC Sport 02's and Conti for example), and how there is at times a large difference between makes/models between the same size tires because of this.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, someone's 295 may have the same effective patch as another's 305? (just using those for example)

Am I understanding this correct?
Sponsored