460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I was told itā€™s the real deal...multi million dollar car.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I've also never seen any of the originals running wheels that large with low profile tires. Anyone who has the originals is running original wheel size and tires.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I love everything except the ass of the Daytona.... Man, I forgot how bad it was. :D

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
I love everything except the ass of the Daytona.... Man, I forgot how bad it was. :D
Look at the back of your car, and then look at the back of every car, you see how itā€™s cut off? That was because of this car. The Shelby Daytona was the first vehicle to break the rule of a streamlined backend and incorporated a Kamm back. Brock had leaned of Wunibald Kammā€™s pre-war white paper when he was working at Chevrolet. At Shelby he convinced Shelby with the help of Ken Miles, to try something different. He promised that it would be a weird looking design but it would have a aerodynamic advantage above the standard Cobra.m, and Shelby needed an advantage, his cobras could not compete with the Ferrari 250 GTO going down the Mulsanne Straight in Le Mans.

As Brock told me in an interview:

Importance of aerodynamics. Idea of coupe were completely contrary to accepted practice of long tapered tail, streamlined look that came out 20s, Paul Jaray (Zeppelin), came out with that whole of the long tapered tail. That was considered the best form of streamlining. On an automobile, it created more turbulence than smooth air.

Trick was to keep the roof flat, and chop the tail off, but already been figured out by guy in 1937 in patent in Germany.

All that technology. I found a white paper from the 1930s. Although they were in German, I could read the CD number and drawings of what was going on.

Tried to convince general motors. We were working on the Stingray. Still a beautiful car but not a good car aerodynamically. It would lift at high speed.

When the opportunity came around. Carroll didnā€™t know that I was working as a designer for Chevy.

If he wanted to go to Europe, he is going to have to look at the car differently. Too much drag. It will look completely different from any other car that you have ever seen. I didnā€™t care what it looks like, just as long as itā€™s fast. Go ahead and get started on it. I drew the whole thing up in quarter scale. Remington looked at it, and they all thought it was ugly. Remington, refused to work on it. All the guys in shop didnā€™t want to work on it was well.

Ken Miles wanted to work, saw what the Germans had done it. Went back to Carroll. Ken ā€œthe kid, what heā€™s got there is worth investigating. Letā€™s test it out.ā€ Ken and myself and a Kid from New Zealand (Ron Butler), laid out the car, from plywoodā€”a plywood buck. A couple more guys came out and said they wanted to work on it. 4-5 guys who built it in a corner.

Remington, was off building the King Cobra, and of course the cobra as well.

Had the contracts for the pre-release models for advertising, paint them in rubberized paint. And blow it off and paint it again [in another color].

So, I designed the car, Daytona, and there was very very little interest. Screwy guys in the corner. Then we took it out to Riverside Feb. 1, 1964. Miles ran and was 3 miles faster than the cobra. Miles thought we had different gearing in it. [We] had it setup identically. All that got changed was the body. We stiffened the body up a bit. If we didnā€™t stiffen the chassis the windows would have come out. [It was] 200 lbs. heavier than the roadster. It improved the handling and aerodynamics to the point where the cars unbeatable . One of the big problems that we had was I wanted to put a movable wing on the car, any car that traveled at speed would have a lift problem.
Driver controlled [movable wing].

Remington thought that was another frivolous idea. Refused to build the wing on the back of the car.

I was telling Shelby that we needed it. Looking at Remington and this Kid, so [because of political reasons the car went] without the wing.

When we went out to the track without the wing, it was no question that it would be successful.

Then now lets put the wing [on it, I said], Remington said ā€œitā€™s so fast without the wing, not worth putting the time in, we will run it against the Ferrarisā€.

Daytona broke the record. It would have been far superior in the way.

ā€”ā€”-

Your car and almost every car uses that Kamm back design which was first put into practice on the Cobra Daytona, so there is a purpose to that back.

Last edited:

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So someone else can probably provide more Shelby-related context, but this was at my last track day. True Shelby Daytona Coupe build from the original run--sort of. According to the owner, there were originally supposed to be 20 built, but they only made it to 6. In the mid-2000s, they finished the original run, completing cars 7-20. This is car #20. It's built to original specs. Was probably the hardest I've ever fanboy'd.

Dude was driving it at COTA on the track. Guy was super cool! Plans to get it licensed for Vintage Racing!

IMG_1581.JPEG
IMG_1582.JPEG
IMG_1583.JPEG
IMG_1584.JPEG
IMG_1585.JPEG
IMG_1586.JPEG
IMG_1587.JPEG

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
So someone else can probably provide more Shelby-related context, but this was at my last track day. True Shelby Daytona Coupe build from the original run--sort of. According to the owner, there were originally supposed to be 20 built, but they only made it to 6. In the mid-2000s, they finished the original run, completing cars 7-20. This is car #20. It's built to original specs. Was probably the hardest I've ever fanboy'd.

Dude was driving it at COTA on the track. Guy was super cool! Plans to get it licensed for Vintage Racing!

IMG_1581.JPEG
IMG_1582.JPEG
IMG_1583.JPEG
IMG_1584.JPEG
IMG_1585.JPEG
IMG_1586.JPEG
IMG_1587.JPEG
continuation car. Similar to the OVC GT350R, itā€™s a continuation of the production run. Cool but not worth the value of the original vehicles as they donā€™t have the racing pedigree or famous drivers of the 1964/1965 cars. So like the OVC cars, they go for 300k whereas a real 1965 R goes for a million.

This car is worth a few hundred thousand, whereas the original 6 are worth 7 million.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
continuation car. Similar to the OVC GT350R, itā€™s a continuation of the production run. Cool but not worth the value of the original vehicles as they donā€™t have the racing pedigree or famous drivers of the 1964/1965 cars. So like the OVC cars, they go for 300k whereas a real 1965 R goes for a million.

This car is worth a few hundred thousand, whereas the original 6 are worth 7 million.
Oh for sure. But this is one you beat up on the track and not feel bad! I'd take this over an original any day.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Oh for sure. But this is one you beat up on the track and not feel bad! I'd take this over an original any day.
they were racing the original ones at Goodwood. I have a few friends who race their continuation Daytonaā€™s every weekend. I find the Daytona to be more comfortable than the Ford GT40. More leg room.