I4 vs V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8ayala8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Grabber blue
So I'm planning on purchasing a new mustang soon, but I can't decide what engine I want. I'd love a V8 but unfortunately I can't afford that right now So it's between the 4 and 6. Right now I'm leaning towards the V6 just because of the way it sounds, I don't really like the way the I4 sounds, but the I4 has more potential and has a lot more options to choose from. I'd really appreciate any advice or comments on why you chose the model you did.
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Best advise, save up a bit more and get the V8. Used ones can be had for ~$26K+ now. Lets say you get the EB/V6 now. In about a year you'll have a bit of money saved up and looking at ways to make it faster/ sound better. That money you saved up could have gone towards the GT if you bought it initially. Alot of members here have moved up to a GT within the first year or two of ownership.

Now if insurance and cost of gas is an issue, that's understandable. If you want the bells and whistles from the Premium package your only choice is the EB. If you don't need that then personally, I'd go with the V6. I like the power delivery and it sounds alot better. The EB has alot more potentional and significant gains can be had for not much money, but you'll void your warranty.

stang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Go gt or go home. You'll have nightmares every single night wishing you had a gt. Just ask yourself can you sleep good at night

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Go GT 350 or go home, you'll have nightmares every night wishing you had a GT350.......

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Save up for a GT. No way I'd own a Mustang with a V6 or 4 banger.

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
My first Mustang was a V6 (1st of 6 Mustangs so far) It was a decent car and it was fun for a while. I ended up buying full upper and lower intake manifolds, long tube headers, all new rear end, cam, tuner, etc. it was a lot of time, money, and work to keep up with bone stock GTs. In the end, I would have been best served just getting a V8 from the beginning.

If you care about performance and potential power, get the GT now. If you don't, you'll wish you had.

Reactions: 113

SBLee29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang V6 w/051a
If you can wait, wait and save up for the V8. I do enjoy my V6, but at the end of my lease I will be getting the V8. After a while in the V6 you're probably gonna want more power just like I do now, but if you have buy now then test drive both and see which you prefer. V6 is gonna sound much better but the eco4 will feel much faster off the line and will also have the option for premium features which a lot of us V6 guys wish we had.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
This is probably the last place you want to ask financial advice. A lot of the I need a blue V8 pill to get hard. The V6 is part of the Mustang heritage the 3.7 is a great V6 and run for over 200K miles. I couldn’t get past the sound of the 2.3 and I have owned modern turbos and was all set for now with that.
Don’t tie up all you funds in a ride

Sponsored

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
If you can, get the V6, its an awesome engine with good Power throughout the rpms and its very reliable. Regarding the sound: a v6 Mustang can Sound pretty amazing. Dont fall for that constant "its gotta be a v8" stuff, the v6 is a nice choice.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I've had my car for a year and don't regret the EcoBoost at all. It's sporty, efficient and balances the car nicely.

The main things to consider are the options available to you with each version, and how much you can afford. If the GT is out of reach, consider buying a used GT, a new EcoBoost, or a new V-6 base.

Keep in mind the V-6 has the least amount of options at the beginning - or at least they did in 2016 when I bought mine. Choosing the EcoBoost gives you options like Premium, Performance Pack, better wheels, etc.

I echo the advise of most here... buy what you want. If you can't afford the GT, then either buy used for find a way to be happy with what you did get.

With what I was looking for in a car - a sporty modern car that looked great, drove great, and didn't punish me on gas - I got exactly what I wanted.

However, if you want a traditional V-8 pony car, and are settling for a 4 or 6, you might never be happy, even if future mods and changes give your 4 or 6 as much power as a V-8.

Good luck. Even the V-6 is a great car, and buying a S550 is highly recommended. :D

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I have had my ecoboost for about 6 months now and I love it. The power it has stock is plenty for daily driving, plus I love getting 28-30mpg but still being able to smoke the tires whenever I want. Used ecoboosts are very affordable and with relatively few mods can be over 400 crank HP (intercooler and e30 tune) which would definitely keep up with a stock GT.

I ruled out the v6 quickly because of the lack of interior options, and I ruled the GT out because of price. At the end of the day youre still getting an S550, which all look fantastic regardless of what engine is in there.

Like others above me have said, if you really want a v8, then wait and save up, otherwise go with the ecoboost. It is a great platform and I dont regret choosing the ecoboost one bit!

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
So I'm planning on purchasing a new mustang soon, but I can't decide what engine I want. I'd love a V8 but unfortunately I can't afford that right now �� So it's between the 4 and 6. Right now I'm leaning towards the V6 just because of the way it sounds, I don't really like the way the I4 sounds, but the I4 has more potential and has a lot more options to choose from. I'd really appreciate any advice or comments on why you chose the model you did.
I went with 4 vert...

- 4 was 33k vs. v8 was 42k

- Insurance is much cheaper

- MPG is much better

- With tune, I got exactly what I wanted (I wanted a convertible that could go 0-60 in under 6 seconds -- respectable 5.3 for me -- and a large trunk). I travel a lot and like being able to put all bags in the trunk. Now with the Ford Performance tune, you can keep your warranty

- I like the turbo sound. Sounds cool to me

- V8 is loud and pollutes the air. Don't like them :D

All jokes aside, the money I saved by going with the 4 was put into my condo to pay it off. I was able to pay off the Mustang in a year. I could have paid off the 8 as well, but what would I have got? Bragging rights that I have a v8? Not important to me. That extra 10k + is better off making my mortgage interest less.

I never considered the 6 because at the time of my purchase, you could not get the 6 in premium. If you wanted premium mustang, you had to get the 4 or 8.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I wouldn't recommend the I6 for the simple reason that this engine will be discontinued (at least for the 'stang). And even if not, the aftermarket support is rather minimal.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.