Sponsored

I think i am regretting Race Red due to Police breaking balls daily.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I just got pulled over in my race red 5.0 w/Roush exhaust. I was on a 2 lane, maintaining distance and low rpms (quiet) in a line of cars. In lieu of ticketing, if I made a donation to the (small town) Police dept of $75 I would be on my way. My crime? Having a clear cover over my license plate. This was in Illinois, I was CCW at the time so multiple squads showed up. I was very polite until I was given the ticket. Then I had some choice words for the officer (ticketing me for that in the midst of a pandemic...and being shook down) and he politely reminded me the state ticket was more for the same (petty) offense. So, I paid it. But that damn car sticks out like a sore thumb, even just cruising.
Meh... me thinks it had more to do with the locale than the car.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
No doubt the car attracts unwanted attention. I even go so far as take a detour if it's not too out of the way to avoid a road/stretch of highway that Waze has indicated has cops in hiding or speed traps. A little longer drive in the Shelby never hurt nobody, and potentially avoiding cops? Win win

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I just got pulled over in my race red 5.0 w/Roush exhaust. I was on a 2 lane, maintaining distance and low rpms (quiet) in a line of cars. In lieu of ticketing, if I made a donation to the (small town) Police dept of $75 I would be on my way. My crime? Having a clear cover over my license plate. This was in Illinois, I was CCW at the time so multiple squads showed up. I was very polite until I was given the ticket. Then I had some choice words for the officer (ticketing me for that in the midst of a pandemic...and being shook down) and he politely reminded me the state ticket was more for the same (petty) offense. So, I paid it. But that damn car sticks out like a sore thumb, even just cruising.
Wait what???
Did you just say the police would have taken $75 from you on the spot and called it good?
I presume your permit states you have a legal obligation to divulge if you are carrying, unless your CCW is attached to your DMV then they already assume you are.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait what???
Did you just say the police would have taken $75 from you on the spot and called it good?
I presume your permit states you have a legal obligation to divulge if you are carrying, unless your CCW is attached to your DMV then they already assume you are.
I have a separate CCW permit than driver’s license in SC... it’s purely optional to inform an LEO about my packing status.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
So you are saying the cops took 75 dollars in a shakedown to pad their own wallet in lieu of writing an actual speeding or loud exhaust ticket? If so that’s....well illegal. But it’s the South so if true, that’s how things work down there.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you are saying the cops took 75 dollars in a shakedown to pad their own wallet in lieu of writing an actual speeding or loud exhaust ticket? If so that’s....well illegal. But it’s the South so if true, that’s how things work down there.
Take that back buddy... ILLINOIS NOT THE SOUTH!!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
if I made a donation to the (small town) Police dept of $75 I would be on my way.
I see turd-world "consideration" has finally made it to the USA. Took long enough.

ShelbyMilk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Milk
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I dont believe what I see on the news much anymore :) but I heard there are a lot of people leaving NYC due to the recent events.....thats a lot of tax revenue lost.

Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
And in most states now it is illegal to have anything that could obstruct your license plate, ie a clear cover, a plate frame, etc..

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
And in most states now it is illegal to have anything that could obstruct your license plate, ie a clear cover, a plate frame, etc..
In my state no front plate is an add on offense, you can't be pulled over for it directly. Which exactly why I don't run one, lol.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
You guys must live in some crappy States.. I’ve had a race red mustang for a year now and it’s louder than stock. I have never been pulled over and I’m constantly speeding. I also don’t have a front plate and a tinted cover on the back plate and I’m never bothered by the police even when I pass them. So it’s definitely location based more than color based.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Well scumbag cops in small towns are as bad as NYC. I work near a Turdville town of maybe 1850 people. Because there is a lot of recreation in the area, they have at least six cops. They will be spaced 1/3 a mile apart on the main drag writing 31 in a 30 tickets all day and night during the season. Their geezer-in-chief followed me home six days in a row and stopped at the end of my driveway to glare and watch me back into my garage.

Fast forward to day seven of harassment last July. I'm creeping along, 28 in a 30 because they are out in force. I get pulled over. The usual idiot question, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I replied, "The car is black and you guys hate anything black................................right?" He got loud and said, "WHAT!?!?" I chuckled and apologized for the humor and offered, "28 in a 30? I honestly have no idea. You follow me home every day, so you must have found something."

He went on and on about my missing front plate, I showed it to him, sitting on the dash in plain view. Not good enough, no damned way. "That's a $187 dollar ticket, you realize that?!?!?!" I brought my email up on the phone and showed him my receipt for my front plate holder that was on order from Craig's. No matter. He asked for my license, proof of insurance and usual crap.

Then he asked if the address is correct? I replied it is correct at the DMV, they said I did not have to get a new license when I changed it. He got snotty and said, "WHERE DO YOU LIVE?" I said, "Right next door to your damned kid! You follow me home every damned day and sit at the end of the driveway, geeze." He said, "I do not follow you!!" I reply, "If you say so, but you live two blocks up from my house and are the only guy driving the "chief" car, so it looks a lot like you sitting in front of my garage as I park every evening................................40 feet away."

We had a brief discussion on "townies rule" and the usual bull crap about watching my speed. I asked if 5 under the speed limit would be okay? He stink eyed the tires, no tread and I volunteered they are DOT approved and legal in all 50 states. He stink eyed the tint, to dark. Again, I offered receipts for the install from a high end installer who warrantied they'd pay the fines if any a$$hole cop proved it wasn't legal. More muttering. Another no front plate ticket threat, we are 20 minutes into the stop. I said, "Okay, write it if you feel the need."

Any local tweaker with a roached hillbilly ricer and expired plates gets a pass. There are townies driving beaters with no plates daily, not farm trucks, beaters with no tags and no one cares. I live on a good street and know a ton of folks including the fire chief from across the way comes over to chat. Zero problems as long as I drive my pickup, zero issues..................................until the Shelby rolls out. Probably owned a vette back in the day and got shelled by Mustangs or something.

It happens, don't sell the car. Mine is black and it upsets some cops more than you can imagine. That being said, if I get 10 minutes away no problems EVER.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I should don my flame suit, but what the heck...

There are 'those' cops out there. I too, once paid a cop cash for a ticket that never appeared on my record or was reported. But for every one of 'those' cops, there are multitude more who are not that type. Many who appreciate our rides and several here in this forum who contribute without posting all the negative debt.

Now what does this banter really boil down to? How 'bouts: 'Poor me, I have a cool car and get pulled over because of the car!' No sympathies here. We have a car that attracts attention, good and bad. But the passive aggressive whine that you have to deal with such injustice because you drive a cool car??? Why not just pat yourself on the back and enjoy. Skip the theatrics and fish stories and remember life is not always fair. But hey, you got a GT350 to even the score.

Now who has a link to the witness protection program? :bandit:
Sponsored