I got locked out of my car with the keys inside

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My car wont remote start with the door(s) open, hood/trunk up etc.

Food847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Yesterday I went to get something out of the glove box. The car was locked and I opened the passenger door to got what I needed so I started the car using the key fobs remote start and put the key fob on the console with my phone which has the Ford app…I left the engine running because wanted to run the AC for a few minutes before leaving. I closed the door and went in the house for minute and when I returned I was locked out. What did I do wrong?
Never leave a mustang running unattended.

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
After the gym one morning I went to open the trunk of my 2020 mustang and forgetting that my key fob was in the jacket and my gym bag which I just threw in the trunk and then closed the trunk. Normally it would automatically pop back open so it’s not to lock the key in the trunk but this time it did not! Somehow the sensors did not pick up the fact that the key fob was now locked in the trunk and automatically reopen the trunk. Good freaking grief I had to get a friend to drive me home to get my second key fob and then come back. Is this scenario happened to anyone else?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
A learning expereience LOL. Part of the remote start security is you start the car in a public place and while your walking to it. it stays locked so no low life can jump in and drive away. Once you approach (supposedly with the fob in your pocket) the car auto-magically unlocks sensing the fob signal as your reach for the door handle.

Stuff happens, my 2015 Passat locked itself one day with the key in the ignition and running! The 2nd fob wouldn't unlock so I had to pop the key cover off the door and use the key to unlock it. WTF?

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
It would have been more fun if you came back to an empty parking spot, and you don't even have the phone to call police... and if you have any sort of smart unlock on the phone enabled, you could easily have identity stolen along with the car. Please tell uss you didn't toss a kid on the back seat as well 😆

Just kidding, it's good everything got resolved.
So... I hate to say it but I came out of of the bowling alley with my 2 year old and remote started the car with the passenger door open and put him in the car seat in the back of the car. I leaned over and pushed the start button to kick the air on full speed cause it was hot out. Then I threw the keys in the center console and shut the passenger door. Not realizing the door was locked..

The air was on full blast so I called my wife to bring me the other set of keys.. Car was running, air was on... No worries until the car turned off after being idle for 30 minutes.. Called 911 and the fire truck was there in about 3 minutes.. I told them the story and that my wife was bringing keys. They told me if she wasn't there in 2 minutes they were going in through the window. I was fine with that.. She showed up a minute after they said that and we got the door open.. Car was still cool inside...

2 months ago I realized that I wouldn't have even had to call my wife if I had been using the Ford Pass app with that car.. I would have been able to unlock it with my phone.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I thought the app overrides the key:
For instance I locked my keys in the car so that my father could get inside it and crank the car everyday.

All he did was tell me to lock and unlock it remotely.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
After the gym one morning I went to open the trunk of my 2020 mustang and forgetting that my key fob was in the jacket and my gym bag which I just threw in the trunk and then closed the trunk. Normally it would automatically pop back open so it’s not to lock the key in the trunk but this time it did not! Somehow the sensors did not pick up the fact that the key fob was now locked in the trunk and automatically reopen the trunk. Good freaking grief I had to get a friend to drive me home to get my second key fob and then come back. Is this scenario happened to anyone else?
I did this last year when we were travelling. I always take the spare fob in case the one in use craps out. In my case though I closed the trunk 3 times, and each time it popped open. I was getting really PO’d until I figured out that it was because the spare fob was in my bag. As far as tossing the keys in the car, I only do it with the top down or when I’m in it and don’t want them in my pocket for comfort.

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I would happily trade my fob for a good old fashioned key and lock. When you enter your car you have a place to store it-right in the ignition switch…no more lost keys.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Keep in mind, if you have the ford app and your phone is locked in the car. You can use someone else's phone to go to the ford web page and then get to the Ford App from there.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Keep in mind, if you have the ford app and your phone is locked in the car. You can use someone else's phone to go to the ford web page and then get to the Ford App from there.
frightening... yet helpful :p

akasmitty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Same sort of thing happened to me. Remote started the car, opened the door and put fob down. Closed the door to go get something I forgot and when I came back I was locked out. Good thing I was at home and the house was unlocked. So anytime I remote start it and go in and out I make sure the fob stays with me.

ttillub19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blade
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Couldn't you just run in your house and grab your other key fob? You know the one you keep in that cup in the top drawer of the dresser?
Sponsored