I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
When I received the car from the dealer it had 87 octane then I ran that tank out and put in 91 octane no change in rattle. You are correct that all those variables together will set the stage for detonation, however IMO I believe that with today's technology and the use of 4 knock sensors that the timing would be retarded in such an event and prevent detonation. The charge motion plates essentially control air velocity into the cylinders I doubt that would play a factor, but who's I've seen stranger things.
I instalked FP CAI and calibration, run Petro 94, and use Mobil 1 5w30. Smooth as a sewing machine and pulls like snot.
Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Are you talking about this?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8B

You had the 2K rattle, similar the video above?
Yeah, that’s the kit, and yes, rattle similar to the video. Started after 1st oil change.
I just had a conversation yesterday with the tech about this rattle issue while my truck was in for service. He said he had installed several of these kits with the same results, provided 5w30 is also used.

Last edited:

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I think most peoples 18 and up engine rattles are direct injection. I Think my 16 is piston slap. Before the whipple I had ford pp3 with their tune and intake and rattle was still very well present. I then went Lund tune for pp3 and rattle was the same. Ive tried different oils and weights with absolutely no change. Like I said earlier putting the Whipple on changed it the most. Wonder if it has to do with the aluminum lower manifold compared to the plastic oem, and echos the rattle more. My Knock sensors do nothing btw during my rattle. Also its weird that it goes away when warm.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm still wondering if the 2K rattle is cam chain/tensioner noise
It could be. The 2 possible culprits are cam chain related, or DI/FI related. And even if it's cam chain related, we wouldn't know what exactly is making the noise, but the cam chain tensioner is a good guess. I bet Ford knows, but they're not saying anything, and at this point, probably never will.

Sponsored

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Necromancy up in this thread... I have driven both a 2019 PP1 and a 2020 PP2 (current car).

Both cars rattle(d). It seems like the rattle is more pronounced when the weather is cold.

I'm curious, though - Mach 1 owners have the Coyote Gen 3, but they have a different trans (at least the manuals are different.) If any Mach 1 owners see this and can pipe up, that'd help implicate or rule out the clutch on the MT-82.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Necromancy up in this thread... I have driven both a 2019 PP1 and a 2020 PP2 (current car).

Both cars rattle(d). It seems like the rattle is more pronounced when the weather is cold.

I'm curious, though - Mach 1 owners have the Coyote Gen 3, but they have a different trans (at least the manuals are different.) If any Mach 1 owners see this and can pipe up, that'd help implicate or rule out the clutch on the MT-82.
Seems the reports indicate the Gen 3 engine makes the same 2K rattle regardless if it's an automatic or a manual transmission.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Mine has been in shop since 9/21 - It rattles at 2kish.. They replaced the cam phasers and it still made noise.. now they are doing it again but with a "timing tool"(their words) from 1993. I dont see how this will fix but im still waiting...

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine has been in shop since 9/21 - It rattles at 2kish.. They replaced the cam phasers and it still made noise.. now they are doing it again but with a "timing tool"(their words) from 1993. I dont see how this will fix but im still waiting...
Considering the vast majority do the same thing, I doubt they'll find anything wrong, lol.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Considering the vast majority do the same thing, I doubt they'll find anything wrong, lol.
i think your right - but they say they already have over 10k in warranty work done...and its not leaving till fixed. I have an open escalation w/ford and they said it qualifies for buyback so if they can fix ill get a diff one. i just really like this one, the interior is the tan/black and i dont see it as much.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Seems the reports indicate the Gen 3 engine makes the same 2K rattle regardless if it's an automatic or a manual transmission.

Yea but the M1 manual is a different trans, I think that s what he was asking. Any mach 1 report rattle yet? any 2021 Gts?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yea but the M1 manual is a different trans, I think that s what he was asking. Any mach 1 report rattle yet? any 2021 Gts?
Yep, he was asking about the Mach 1 and would like to hear if any Mach 1 owner's also have the 2K rattle. My bet it they probably do, as I don't think it's a transmission caused rattle, especially when both the non-Mach 1 3rd Gens rattle regardless if they have the automatic or manual.

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
So after combing through 15 or so pages of everyone sharing their experiences, has anyone gotten a concrete explanation as to why this is happening or how to remedy it? Seems like many of you have brought it into the dealer and some have had the engine replaced.
I'm looking into installing a supercharger, but after hearing my car make this rattle, I'm hesitant now.
Sponsored