Sponsored

Hybrid ceramic wax

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And some ceramics buff off with minimal effort, others have to be removed with an aggressive abrasive which doesn't sound like fun.
I don’t know if, nor would I want, a ceramic that will “buff off with minimal effort”. If it comes off that easy, then it was not a good coating to begin with. Any coating should require some level of machine polishing to remove.
Sponsored

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I don't think this is a thread hijack, but maybe. I'm sorry in advance. I've got a new Shelby (Ruby Red, black stripes, black roof). I'm trying to figure out what a cost conscience combo of protection is. Specifically, where would this group recommend:

1) putting film, and
2) putting ceramic coating?

Are there any application issues (for a pro, I'm not doing this) with getting the ceramic coating up to the edge of of the film?

I know you can get rock chips anywhere, but I don't think I want to wrap the whole car. And I'm going to drive the car (though likely not on the track) and it is going to get wear.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think this is a thread hijack, but maybe. I'm sorry in advance. I've got a new Shelby (Ruby Red, black stripes, black roof). I'm trying to figure out what a cost conscience combo of protection is. Specifically, where would this group recommend:

1) putting film, and

Are there any application issues (for a pro, I'm not doing this) with getting the ceramic coating up to the edge of of the film?

I know you can get rock chips anywhere, but I don't think I want to wrap the whole car. And I'm going to drive the car (though likely not on the track) and it is going to get wear.
probably want to get the full front with PPF (clear bra/film), costing about $1800 or so. that is what most probably have done. doing the whole car will cost around $6k. for many that is prohibitive financially. there is debate about this, but my shops tell me to put ceramic over the film. makes sense to me. one other issue is the stripes you have, if they are matted, the film may make them look glossy like your paint. so one option is to have the shop use xpel "stealth" for a more matted look, while using the normal xpel over the painted areas. or just dont PPF the stripes at all while using film over everything else. if you have non-matted stripes, you can PPF over it but you might have some air pockets, which raises another problem. hence one shop near me says to remove the stripes, let them paint correct, put PPF on all over, then re-do the stripes, then ceramic over it all. but that will cost more money there too.

there, i have made no sense and probably confused you more :blush:

i recommend talking to some local shops, YELP a few and go with one that has lots of experience and fair pricing.

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47

1) putting film, and

I added film to:

- Entire front of there vehicle (fenders/hood/lights/mirrors
- A pillars, top roof line
- Bottom rockers
- Area in front of rear tire
- Area behind rear tire

I also ceramic coated the entire car over the film and non film areas

Added some art work to demonstrate the filmed areas.. lol
fullsizeoutput_b6b.jpeg

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I added film to:

- Bottom rockers
- Area behind rear tire

fullsizeoutput_b6b.jpeg
What did you spend to have that done? (I understand there are variables in terms of which film, coats of ceramic, and whether things like wheels and brake calipers are done.). Thanks.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
PPF on full hood, bumper, strip across the roof, full front wheel fender, rear of rear wheel fender. That'll run you 2 grand'ish. If that blew your budget... the coating goes over the plastic so it's "continuous" over the transition. I have yet to meet a coating guy who won't insist on covering the whole car.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I added film to:

- Bottom rockers
- Area behind rear tire

fullsizeoutput_b6b.jpeg
I had Xpel put on 2 weeks after getting mine same areas except didn't get roof line, a pillars or behind rear tires. Cost $1600 - knock on wood, 10600 miles later paint is almost perfect.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Has anyone tried F11 Top Coat?

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
Found the ignore feature everyone has mentioned in several other threads.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thin paint on these cars need all the help they can get.[/QUOTE

Yeah, exactly what thin paint can you be describing? Unless I am wrong every one of these things is topped with catalyzed urathane clear which would take a hell of a lot of abuse to get through to the paint.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Planning on buying the Meguiers product, does anybody know of any issues at all with applications on top of or adjacent to Xpel film ?
Sponsored