Sponsored

Hub and Caliper bolts - One time use bolts?

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
But even stretch to Yield Bolts can be reused after passing a thorough inspection.
You have my curiosity on this one... how do you do this?
Not being a wise-ass... I am actually curious.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
You have my curiosity on this one... how do you do this?
Not being a wise-ass... I am actually curious.
For me, All Engine TTY Bolts are replaced after removal, IE connecting Rod, Cam Bearing caps, Crank Journal, cylinder head ETC. I Always replace them after removal.
As for my Brake caliper bolts, I inspect the threads for stretch and mic the center section for Yielding. If they pass my inspection, I clean the threads and then reinstall with blue medium loctite and torque. As far as my Suspections TTY Bolts, I actually replaced them all when I upgraded my suspension parts, Vertical links, Toe Rods
camber links, LCA, Rear Shocks, rear K Frame, IRS Cradle support, Front Radius arm bolts ETC, I replaced them.
But that's just me. If anyone who does not feel safe after identifying a bolt is an actual TTY bolts feels uncomfortable with their reuces, then they should replace them for they are relatively cheap insurance to say the least.

1692659446705.png

1692659446705.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:6064577f,vid:H62kDEbYCnU

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
As for my Brake caliper bolts, I inspect the threads for stretch and mic the center section for Yielding. If they pass my inspection
Thanks Doug... I was curious as to what is being done to verify.
The reason I ask is that the Engineering Lab I work at routinely does metallurgical and NDT testing on automotive and aircraft components. We have used Tensile testers to reach the yield point plus 1-2 psi over yield, then asked to determine if dimensional differences could be non-destructively determined (Elongation, necking, crack inspection via MT, UT & PT and optical microscopy).
The answer was no.
We could however see a difference if we sectioned the fastener, mounted and polished the sectioned piece, etched the polished surface, and compared the grain structure to a non-tested fastener. Micro-hardness also showed strain hardening across the sectioned surface.
Once the yield point is reached and exceeded even barely, the structural integrity is compromised.
The fasteners we tested were definitely "Torque to Yield" fasteners... that was the purpose of our testing.
That being said, I have ZERO first hand knowledge if the caliper bolts are actually torque to yield... I did no research and went with Caliperfection studs.
If they are not, your method is spot on.... elongation or necking = replacement.

Good Stuff...!!!!

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Holy lol. Reuse the caliper bolts. you'll be fine.
FORD says buy new ones cause they're in the
business of making money. All the factory bolts
had to pass SAE tests. They won't fail unless YOU
make em fail.

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
That being said, I have ZERO first hand knowledge if the caliper bolts are actually torque to yield... I did no research and went with Caliperfection studs.
I struggle with this concept of torque to yield on the caliper bolts. They are screwed into aluminum hubs, right?...

I have the studs and like them. Continuously screwing bolts into aluminum makes me nervous. Too easy to gall the threads; even strip them. Also, changing pads is easy.

FWIW

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I struggle with this concept of torque to yield on the caliper bolts. They are screwed into aluminum hubs, right?...

I have the studs and like them. Continuously screwing bolts into aluminum makes me nervous. Too easy to gall the threads; even strip them. Also, changing pads is easy.

FWIW
That’s why I said what I said… I have Zero first hand knowledge of the technical details of this fastener connection.
You make a great point…. If the steel torque to yield fastener is being joined to an aluminum female receptacle, then things are going to change.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Thanks Doug... I was curious as to what is being done to verify.
The reason I ask is that the Engineering Lab I work at routinely does metallurgical and NDT testing on automotive and aircraft components. We have used Tensile testers to reach the yield point plus 1-2 psi over yield, then asked to determine if dimensional differences could be non-destructively determined (Elongation, necking, crack inspection via MT, UT & PT and optical microscopy).
The answer was no.
We could however see a difference if we sectioned the fastener, mounted and polished the sectioned piece, etched the polished surface, and compared the grain structure to a non-tested fastener. Micro-hardness also showed strain hardening across the sectioned surface.
Once the yield point is reached and exceeded even barely, the structural integrity is compromised.
The fasteners we tested were definitely "Torque to Yield" fasteners... that was the purpose of our testing.
If they are not, your method is spot on.... elongation or necking = replacement.

Good Stuff...!!!!
I think the calibrated studs are a good idea for people who remove their brake calipers regularly. As far as TTY bolts, once a bolt has yielded/stretched, they cannot rubber band back to their original specs. If the bolt shaft, threaded area are micrometered, and their is no noted differences, in the measurements, which would tell you if the bolt have gone through deformation. But again, bolts are relatively cheap.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea on what a “calibrated stud” is……..???

OP
OP

smokinscooters

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT350
Another stupid question. Anyone know what size socket I need to remove/install the hub carrier bolts?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That’s what my wife calls me on date night.
She told me she calls you quick draw.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Sponsored