HP Wheels-- Cosmetic Problem

DLOH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Hey Guys, After a careful inspection, I picked up my car on Saturday and drove 250 miles home. I parked it in the garage and on Sunday I went to give it a wash and I noticed that as soon as I sprayed the car with water something looked bad on my front driver side rim. I washed it several times with car wash soap, micro fiber mit and water but whatever it is it did not clean off. I tried in a small area a very light degreaser and when that didn't work I used goo be gone and that didn't work either. It almost looks like the satin clear coat is washing off. Yesterday afternoon I washed it again and it now looks like the passenger front rim might be doing the same. IS ANYBODY ELSE HAVING A PROBLEM?

I will post pictures shortly.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
FWIW, the "detailers" (quotes symbols, like Dr. Evil) at the dealer doused my tires with something. Armor All it was not. Some had also gotten on the rims.

It took three washings on the tires and rims to get everything off. 1. McGuires tire/rim cleaner, 2. 409 and finally 3. Dawn. After all that, it was off.

Wiped rims down with damp rag in Sun until clear. No permanent damage to the rims.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
What the hell is that? In the second pic it looks like water spots from hard water., wheel cleaner and some wheel polish/wax should get rid of that. In the first pic it looks terrible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DLOH

DLOH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
FWIW, the "detailers" (quotes symbols, like Dr. Evil) at the dealer doused my tires with something. Armor All it was not. Some had also gotten on the rims.

It took three washings on the tires and rims to get everything off. 1. McGuires tire/rim cleaner, 2. 409 and finally 3. Dawn. After all that, it was off.

Wiped rims down with damp rag in Sun until clear. No permanent damage to the rims.
Thank you. I will definitely give it a try.
What the hell is that? In the second pic it looks like water spots from hard water., wheel cleaner and some wheel polish/wax should get rid of that. In the first pic it looks terrible.
They all look like water spots but I can't get them off. When you put a little moisture on them they look good so I am thinking manufacturer defect because the coating is coming off.

OP
OP
DLOH

DLOH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I d send those pictures off to the dealer before they blame you with mis cleaning them. Not normal.
I spoke with the dealer but they are 250 miles away from me. I will have to take it to a dealership locally.

GotNotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Z71
Hey Guys, After a careful inspection, I picked up my car on Saturday and drove 250 miles home. I parked it in the garage and on Sunday I went to give it a wash and I noticed that as soon as I sprayed the car with water something looked bad on my front driver side rim. I washed it several times with car wash soap, micro fiber mit and water but whatever it is it did not clean off. I tried in a small area a very light degreaser and when that didn't work I used goo be gone and that didn't work either. It almost looks like the satin clear coat is washing off. Yesterday afternoon I washed it again and it now looks like the passenger front rim might be doing the same. IS ANYBODY ELSE HAVING A PROBLEM?

I will post pictures shortly.
I had a similar problem on my wifeā€™s 19 SantaFe.. They replaced all the wheels under warranty. Definitely delaminating clear coat as already stated.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DLOH

DLOH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Thanks everyone. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so she's parked in the garage. I will update when I get back.

OP
OP
DLOH

DLOH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Does the wheel surface feel rough or smooth? It sort of looks like a chemical has been left to dry and etched into the finish.
It is smooth but all of the wheels are very dry. I am not sure if this has to do with the satin finish. If I spray water on them they dry extremely fast. Almost like there is not a coating on them. I suppose I could have picked up some chemical on the way home but that really doesn't explain why it is happening to the other side of the car now. My thought process is that maybe some grease or chemical is coming out of the center cap and that is why it almost looks like a splash. I will update everyone sometime next week.

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Delaminating paint is almost always due to poor paint prepā€” meaning thereā€™s literally an underlying issue. Something didnā€™t dry completely such as the basecoat or sealer/primer. Or the opposite happened and the basecoat dried completely and skinned over. That will cause poor adhesion in the clearcoat process. Itā€™s possible an exterior source caused this, but why would just the clear be affected? Something that aggressive would most likely rip into the rest of the paint. Honestly, Iā€™d be surprised if you were the only one with this issue. You may be the first, but you wonā€™t be the last.

OP
OP
DLOH

DLOH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Delaminating paint is almost always due to poor paint prepā€” meaning thereā€™s literally an underlying issue. Something didnā€™t dry completely such as the basecoat or sealer/primer. Or the opposite happened and the basecoat dried completely and skinned over. That will cause poor adhesion in the clearcoat process. Itā€™s possible an exterior source caused this, but why would just the clear be affected? Something that aggressive would most likely rip into the rest of the paint. Honestly, Iā€™d be surprised if you were the only one with this issue. You may be the first, but you wonā€™t be the last.
100% what I was thinking. Thank you!!
Sponsored