Mach 1 HP wheels and Tires, vs. non HP

Quik5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1; 88 LX 5.0; 86 GT
That doesnt make financial sense but who knows. I would give them a call and ask about DOM.

In the past TR has sold almost expired tires for pennies on the dollar. If they are close to aged out you can leverage that for big savings. But then again you'll have to burn through them to get the most out of them. That's not hard to do though.
Thanks for the food for thought... I'll call Tire Rack and DT to see if they are aged variants. My M1 only has about 450 miles on it so I need to get more miles on it and another oil change. At that point, it'll be ready for a good track flogging... aged tires would certainly be an excuse to hit a number of HPDE days this summer!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really liked the PSS when I ran them on my GT350. That would be cool if Michelin continued to make them.

Quik5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I really liked the PSS when I ran them on my GT350. That would be cool if Michelin continued to make them.
I attended the 2 Day Ford Performance Racing School this past summer... and both the GT500 and GT 5.0 Track car that I drove were on PS4S tires - I was very impressed. If the PSS's are truly still available and pretty much on par or slightly better than the PS4S tires, I'll be happy!

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I attended the GT500 Track Attack and Ford Performance Racing School this past summer and the GT500 and the GT 5.0 Track car that I drove were both on PS4S tires and I was very impressed. If the PSS's are truly still available and pretty much on par or slightly better than the PS4S tires, I'll be happy!
The PS4S is the replacement for the Super Sport (PSS). Michelin's site does indicate that it's still being manufactured which is interesting. They also have a PS5 out now too but in limited sizes.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/browse-tires/by-category/sport

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. But make sure you check the DOT. I'm pretty sure they quit making PSSs a while back.
They still make them in OE sizes. I got fresh PSS 305/35 in 2022 when I bought them. It's OE size for Shelby and Camaros.
Unsure about the other dimensions but PSS mixes fine with PS4S on front axle, it's compatible as its successor (basically just bit better wet grip, tiny bit worse dry grip and better sidewall look). So I opted for PS4S 285/35 and it works totally great, street or light track.

Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Looks like Discount Tire Direct also has the PSS's in stock. Could Michelin have changed directions and made another batch of PSS's?
I believe I first heard they were stopped being produced 5 or 6 years now on this site, yet the 305/35 PSS's are still listed on Michelin's website, so that tells me they are still producing them.

I tried to order a set back in September of 2020 for my PP2 from Discount Tire and there was no stock to be found anywhere in the country and from what I read on this site, they were done making them, so I went a different direction. I want to say I checked a few months later and they were available again.

Today they seem to be readily available. Michelin's website gave me four different places that had them in stock for my zip code, plus I could get a set of four tomorrow from Discount Tire. I have a feeling they produce a certain number and once that number sells out, it takes them a few months to gear up production again, and since there is no stock anywhere for a couple of months everyone thinks that are not being produced anymore.

Doug

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I attended the 2 Day Ford Performance Racing School this past summer... and both the GT500 and GT 5.0 Track car that I drove were on PS4S tires - I was very impressed. If the PSS's are truly still available and pretty much on par or slightly better than the PS4S tires, I'll be happy!
I have PS4S on my 2017 GT. I would say they are pretty similar tires as far as performance goes.

Quik5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I have a feeling they produce a certain number and once that number sells out, it takes them a few months to gear up production again, and since there is no stock anywhere for a couple of months everyone thinks that are not being produced anymore.

Doug
This is where my head is at as well, especially with an active listing on Michelin's website at this time.

Quik5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to give the PSS's a whirl... 295/35-19 in the front and 305/35-19 in the rear. Since my car is a non-HP, I'd like to do a track day with the factory PS4S's which are 255/40-19 and 275/40-19 and then try the PSS's to see how they compare. I know it won't be fair or apples to apples since the PSS's will be larger, putting more rubber on the ground, but it'll be interesting to see how noticeable the difference is.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '21 non-HP. I installed 275/35-19 F and 305/35-19 R Michelin PSS and Steeda Dual rates. Really happy with it so far. Hasn't been on track yet, but 2 events scheduled for April.
Boyd, I'm trying to figure out what size tires to put on my stock non-hp mach 1 wheels.
Did you put these tires on the stock wheels with no clearance issues?
I wanted to go 285/35R19 and 295/35R19 and many people are saying I may have issues in the front because the stock wheel is 40mm offset.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Stock wheels are 9.5" front with 40mm offset and rear is 10" wide with 52.5mm offset.
I can't find anyone that has done this setup to confirm it works before I order.
it's killing me! lol

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have a '21 non-HP. I installed 275/35-19 F and 305/35-19 R Michelin PSS and Steeda Dual rates. Really happy with it so far. Hasn't been on track yet, but 2 events scheduled for April.
I'd love to know your ride hight with this set up. I have steeda sports with HP wheels and tires. I really want to go with 35 profile tires but I'm afraid it might rub on the fender flares.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Stock wheels are 9.5" front with 40mm offset and rear is 10" wide with 52.5mm offset.
I can't find anyone that has done this setup to confirm it works before I order.
it's killing me! lol
Lots of people are running 35 profile tires in the HP wheels with no issue. So I wonder what the difference in offset is?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of people are running 35 profile tires in the HP wheels with no issue. So I wonder what the difference in offset is?
24mm front and 50mm rear so big difference in front offset to fit the 305's
Sponsored