How to stop the rear end clicking?

Whozyodaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That guy
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
‘16 GT. The rear end, mostly the driver side, clicks when accelerating from a stop, or similar. I have replaced both driver and passenger rear bearings and switched out axle nuts. Torqued to spec and beyond.

Any thoughts? I am super sick of the noise!!
Sponsored

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Did you replace the thrust washer while you were in there?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
‘16 GT. The rear end, mostly the driver side, clicks when accelerating from a stop, or similar. I have replaced both driver and passenger rear bearings and switched out axle nuts. Torqued to spec and beyond.

Any thoughts? I am super sick of the noise!!
You’ve probably already seen this thread then … rear axle nuts - very common S550 issue:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...k-those-axle-to-spindle-retaining-nuts.78909/

Even with new axle nuts S550 owners have had to retorque…

Thrust washers can cause a clicking issue, but among other things if a thrust washer goes out completely it usually trips the ABS/Advance track codes.

OP
OP

Whozyodaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That guy
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I appreciate the feedback. I haven’t gone so far as red loctite yet, but may try that. I am curious about the two designs of nut though…some have a rotating washer and some are a fixed style. Should I be going with one or the other?

OP
OP

Whozyodaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That guy
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Oh and no, I didn’t check or replace the thrust washer yet…. I will get on that

Sponsored

OP
OP

Whozyodaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That guy
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Well, the thrust washer was toast…. It appears to have been ground down considerably and material coming off at the edges. I put a new one on, as well as a new axle nut and red loctite. Torqued the crap out of it at 98lbs + 1/4 turn, so we”ll see!!

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I appreciate the feedback. I haven’t gone so far as red loctite yet, but may try that. I am curious about the two designs of nut though…some have a rotating washer and some are a fixed style. Should I be going with one or the other?
Blue lock tite not RED! Red is meant for never taking it apart again.

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
That clicking noise you're hearing when you start moving might be coming from the differential gears. It could be because they're worn out, not lined up right, or lacking enough grease. I'd say take a peek at the differential fluid and see if there are any metal bits floating around, which would mean things are wearing down. And make sure the fluid level and condition are good to go.

OP
OP

Whozyodaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That guy
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Thanks. It appears that the clicking is gone (for now). It's actually odd not to hear it!

BTW, I went with red loctite based on all of the other feedback in other forums. I will check the diff fluid too, as it hasn’t been changed in some time anyway.

Thanks!
Sponsored