Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Like it was said earlier, there is no need to climb under the console on your back. I changed my filter sitting in the passenger seat and it was very easy. I only used a 1/4 inch hand driver with a torx 20.

Open the glove box. On the right outside of it there is an extension arm that you will slide to the larger hole and then pull out with minimal effort.

Once the arm is released the glove box will hang to its rubber bump stops. In the pic below, you can see both bump stops and notice there is reliefs in the glove box to allow the bump stops to be flexed inward with your hands and this will allow the box to hang freely to expose the little flap which is the access for the filter. Lifting the flap you can see the door and the torx screw. Just reach under the glove box with the driver and guide the tool up to unscrew it.

This pic is with the torx screw and access door removed exposing the filter. Remember the orientation, pull it out and put the new filter in. Then just reverse the rest of the process. Replacing the screw, I just placed it on the torx bit and guided it right back into place. This was all very easy.

Everything should be self explanatory as you go. After you do this once it will be a 10 minute job the next time you do it.

sidneyvega

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sidney
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
And now my car no longer smells like a barn... I waited until 40,000 miles. XD But now, It'll be every 10,000 miles. (I try to replace things early now (i.e. Oil is always at 6,000 miles)).

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
I believe the '16 only has the main center torx screw. I changed mine over the wknd and only undid the one.

Sponsored

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Manufacturer Part Number: FR3B-18D463-AA GP58A MADE IN USA (2015) - from my old factory filter

PRONTO PC8155
HASTINGS FILTERS AFC1684
TYC 800197P
MOTORCRAFT FP78 (Member Verified)
Purolator C38155 - "Multi-fiber, high-density media traps 96.5% of harmful contaminants"
**WIX WP10195 - Says it is "OEM", and that it is Activated Charcoal but it doesn't look like one.

Potential upgrades: (Carbon filters)
Excel C38155C Carbon cabin air filter (Member Verified)
ATP FA-23 Carbon Activated Premium Cabin Air Filter (Member Verified)

Last edited:

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ATP FA-23 Carbon Activated Premium Cabin Air Filter - Amazon says it doesn't fit.
Hmmm...

Ah ha! ATP site says it does, nice find!
Adding to the list.

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
This totally worked! Wow it wasnt bad at all to replace the filter.
Thank you so much for the tip.

I used this filter...........

ATP FA-23 Carbon Activated Premium Cabin Air Filter.

It fit like a charm.

thanks again
No worries and glad it worked out for you. Truly is the easiest way other than paying someone to do it for you.

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Just replaced mine, these were excellent instructions. I think I'd rather do the sound tube delete again than change my cabin air filter. :bolt:

The torx 20 was the right size for me. I used filter ATP-FA23 off the advice above and it matched OEM size, etc. Amazon listed that it fit my 2016 Mustang, so not sure what the discrepancies are unless they updated the fitment specs before I ordered it on 05/05.

Sponsored

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With that sweet "Drop the glovebox" trick, this quinquagenarian was in and out in under 10 minutes.
It took longer to find my T20 bit than it did to swap filters. :lol:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
saw a video on this today
[ame]

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
just did mine. wasn't too bad at 30k. lots of tiny leaves and feathers. i used the video i posted above.

overall was pretty easy, except for putting the cover back on. took me a while to do it. dunno what i did to get it to go on, but during my last try, it just slid right in. i thought i was gonna be there all day, when i couldn't put it back in at the right angle.

just be aware if you use the video above, the guy totally puts the filter back in upside down.

SleepyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I used the Wix 10195 from O'Reilly's and it worked.

It was harder to angle in than the OEM Air filter (I took it out before to shake the dirt out of it around a year into owning the car) and it got scrunched up a bit in the middle but it still fit fine.

Bob S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Package
just did mine. wasn't too bad at 30k. lots of tiny leaves and feathers. i used the video i posted above.

just be aware if you use the video above, the guy totally puts the filter back in upside down.
Yeah, I think he has the air flow arrow pointed in the wrong way. Otherwise, a good video. My car is 2 years old now, but only has just over 11,000 miles. I'm going to replace the cabin air filter in the next few days.
Sponsored