Sponsored

How to Replace the Cabin Air Filter

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for the thread. I've never replaced mine yet. 30k miles, I'll bet it's time.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
post 42, same way

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I just did this (mostly out of curiosity from the posts discussing airflow. I pulled the filter straight out and looked at the marking and debris. The arrow pointed to the center of the car (down) and all of the dirt and bugs were on the top of the filter. No matter what direction the arrow was pointing, the debris tells me the air flows to the middle of the car and the airflow should point down (to the center of the car). Just like the CJ pony parts video.
20180311_192857.jpg
20180311_192908.jpg

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I put in a new filter today and found out my car didn't even have one :doh:

I bought my car used with 8k miles and I don't know why the previous owner would have taken it out. Unless they forgot to put it on from the factory.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm sure you are correct on the torx bit, but I tried to put in a T-20 after reading the posts and was unable to fit it in the hole. I swear I got a smaller bolt head on mine.:frusty:
Interesting. I wondered why K&N didn't mention the screw type/size. But since mine is a T20 and others had T15, and you have even smaller..... It sounds like Ford used all sorts of screw heads.

BTW: I had to send the K&N back to Amazon for a refund. It sticks out of the compartment too far to be able to force the cover back into place.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Anyone have experience with the K&N Filter? I replaced my stock one with a K&N and the directions just say make sure the pull tab is facing out but I can't figure out if the air flow is directional like the stock? Basically, the tab is facing out but it can still be flipped as far as which way it's installed. I don't know if that makes sense or not? :confused:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Anyone have experience with the K&N Filter? I replaced my stock one with a K&N and the directions just say make sure the pull tab is facing out but I can't figure out if the air flow is directional like the stock? Basically, the tab is facing out but it can still be flipped as far as which way it's installed. I don't know if that makes sense or not? :confused:
I covered this in my Amazon review. I can't say if the filter is directional for first installation (other than putting the grab handle end out). But since the filter is supposed to be reused, you obviously want to reinstall it the same way as it came out. So not good that they didn't stamp/mark it or remind you to do that before installing.

But the damn thing is too long. The instructions say it may need to be compressed some. Some turned out to be about 1/2 inch and the thing is stiff. So I was not able to compress it enough to close the cover and line up the bolt hole in the confined space.

Had to send it back for a refund.

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I installed the K&N filter with no issue. I guessed on which direction to install it by the look of the rubber trim. Don't even remember what that reason was now, but it made sense at the time.

WavnAtCha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium High Performance Package Outlaw #028
Vehicle Showcase
I took my car into the dealer to have my oil changed, tires rotated, etc and I asked them to put a new cabin air filter in. The technician came back and told me that the lid was missing. He claimed that he checked two other vehicles in the lot and they were missing the lid too. Ford doesn't sell the lid by itself and that they can only get the entire kit. Does anybody have any suggestions? Can't I just replace the filter and tape it in place?

attachment.jpg

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I took my car into the dealer to have my oil changed, tires rotated, etc and I asked them to put a new cabin air filter in. The technician came back and told me that the lid was missing. He claimed that he checked two other vehicles in the lot and they were missing the lid too. Ford doesn't sell the lid by itself and that they can only get the entire kit.
When your dealer orders the s*** load of "kits" for all the Mustangs in his inventory that need the door, ask him if he can't just add one more to the count for you. You can bet he'll be telling Ford he wants them free since the factory left them off.

Of course, we can't rule out the dealer slowly replacing his missing doors by taking doors from customers like you.

The filter isn't going to fall out since that would be uphill plus they fit snug. If I couldn't get a door, I guess I'd just tape it up.

WavnAtCha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium High Performance Package Outlaw #028
Vehicle Showcase
Of course, we can't rule out the dealer slowly replacing his missing doors by taking doors from customers like you.

The filter isn't going to fall out since that would be uphill plus they fit snug. If I couldn't get a door, I guess I'd just tape it up.
Sounds about right. I ordered a new filter and will tape it up as suggested. Thank you for your input.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
is the ATP and Excel still the defacto charcoal filters? im having a hard time finding the filters anywhere.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Tasca Parts
FR3Z-19N619-A Cabin Air Filter $16.23

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score