Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Jailbreaking Sync3 isn't new news but can be done without Forscan. It can be done with three USB flash drives. Formatted FAT32

1. A single download with the required files for each USB flash drive can be downloaded here: Sync3 Jailbreak Files

2. Open the ZIP file and open the subfolder "Sync3Hack" until you are here:
1689358393330.png

3. Double click Stick1-HACK.zip shown above to open the ZIP and you will see the following:
1689358480836.png

4. Double click Stick1-HACK folder shown above to access the files within. It should looks like this:
1689358526359.png

5. COPY these files and folders to a blank USB flash drive. When complete, safely eject the flash drive media. Label the USB flash drive "STICK1" with masking tape or some other means.

6. Perform the same steps above for the remaining two USB flash drives. Label each one. The flash drives should show the following if the contents of the ZIP files were successfully copied over:
Stick2
1689358579418.png

Stick3
1689358625746.png

7. Go to your car with the three USB flash drives. Unplug any USB devices so both USB ports are free. Press the START button once but do not start the engine. Make sure the infotainment system is on. Wait for Sync to boot completely... takes about a minute.

8. Plug in USB flash drive STICK1 and count how many seconds before this error message appears. Remove the USB stick.
1689358804208.png

9. Reboot Sync3 by pressing and holding the POWER button and the NEXT TRACK button at the same time until the screen goes black. Wait until Sync has completely re-booted. Takes a few minutes.
1689358870642.png

10. The most important step and possibly the most frustrating because it may take multiple attempts to get it right. The goal is to re-boot Sync3 after STICK1 is plugged in BUT before the PKG_ERR05 message appears. The number of seconds from Step# 8 will give you an idea how much time you have. Divide that count in half as a good starting point. On my car I found 4 seconds was the magic number. So have your fingers on the re-boot buttons and plug in STICK1. Wait (in my case) 4 seconds before pressing and holding POWER and NEXT TRACK buttons. Do not release the buttons until you see the screen go black and unplug STICK1 from the USB port. If you see the PKG_ERR05 message before the system re-boots, your timing was off. Re-boot Sync3 and try again.

11. After Sync3 has booted up, insert STICK2 into the USB port. After that the following screen should appear indicating that "Daemon has been installed" if Step 10 was successful. Remove STICK2 and Sync3 should re-boot.
1689269804552.png

12. Wait for Sync3 to re-boot and insert STICK3 to install the final piece, F-Mods toolkit. After that the following screen should appear indicating that "Mods Tools have been installed". Remove STICK3 and let Sync3 re-boot.
1689269878013.png

13. Congratulations! Your Sync3 system is now jailbroken and you can install any of the mods available from www.fmods.net (A user account is required for this site)

Some words of caution: This will likely void your warranty. Most mods generally replace files within the Sync3 environment with altered versions to make the mod functional. Due to copyright issues, mods are not permitted to have OEM replacement files to restore your system back to factory condition. In other words, there is no "uninstall" package. What you can do though, is use Cyanlabs to downgrade your Sync version. Then update it back to the current OEM version. Or wait for Ford to release a new Sync version and update it that way. Turn off automatic updates after jailbreaking otherwise, you will need to do the install over again. (Like me :facepalm:)

For first time modders, I would suggest starting with the Custom Background Loader mod available from FMods. It simply enables some code that was already present in the Sync3 system that Ford never enabled. It allows you to change your background image to anything you want aside from the 4 boring backgrounds that Ford provides. Background images must be 800 x 480 pixel JPG files. Separate backgrounds for day and night are possible. To use the same background during the day and night, copy the JPG into both DAY and NIGHT folders. Or create identical images with altered contrast and brightness for day and night. Instructions for the background loader mod are in a text file in the ZIP package. I will likely do a more thorough "How-to" for backgrounds in the future. You can also read more in @Gnatsum21's excellent write-up: How to change background in Sync

Some of my backgrounds as examples:
20211216_225412-jpg.jpg

Running dark horse.
20211216_225450-jpg.jpg

Pure black.
20211216_225513-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Installed a couple of visual mods last night. Started with "Fancy Rotary" mod first as it is a requirement for some other themes. I chose the "Blue" version to go with Sync's blue color scheme. Very sharp looking improvement to the volume and climate on screen pop-up graphics.
I wanted to show how the animations work in these short videos. Please ignore the poor video quality. My phone sucks.

Then I proceeded to install the "Aqua Glow Original" theme. I waffled for a long time on a few different themes. In the end I wanted something to match other aspects of the interior lighting. The color scheme closely matches the ice blue button backlight color. I also use the same color on my gauges so it ties it all in nicely. Much preferred over Sync's deep blue.

Here's a photo with better image quality than the videos:

20230713_194059.jpg

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Nice write up. I wasn't aware you could change backgrounds with Forscan to be honest.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Some words of caution: This will likely void your warranty.
This will absolutely positively void your warranty on the entire SYNC system. And remember SYNC runs everything. Now for the uninitiated jail breaking is not new. People have been doing it since the 1st PC’s (anyone remember the TRS-80?) but it can be very, very dangerous. If you are not computer/ electronics literate my advice is to stay away.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
This will absolutely positively void your warranty on the entire SYNC system. And remember SYNC runs everything. Now for the uninitiated jail breaking is not new. People have been doing it since the 1st PC’s (anyone remember the TRS-80?) but it can be very, very dangerous. If you are not computer/ electronics literate my advice is to stay away.
I would agree. It’s akin to trying to tune your ECU with no actual real-world knowledge of doing so. Sure, we can all read/follow directions, but even one misstep can brick your Sync.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Sub'g for later.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I never listen to the radio, and did not know what Sync3 even was... I listen to the Ford Philharmonic 32-Valve Orchestra with lead singer Chewbacca gargling on lead vocals.

Boy, am I glad I stumbled across this thread...!!!
I have owned the car since August of 2019, and I saw two knobs on the dash that I figured were defective.

First, there is the one that said "VOL". Well, I figured it meant Variable Occupant Lighting. I figured it was the interior dome light dimmer switch.
The font would have been a lot smaller if they tried to fit "DIMMER" on that knob!

Second, the knob just 8 -10 inches to the right of the "VOL" knob said "TUNE". There was no obvious acronym for that one.
So I figured it was a suspension tuning adjustment:"Comfort/Sport/Track".

Neither of those two knobs EVER changed a thing, no matter what I did with them.

Thanks OP.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Nice write up! I did mine a while back and went with the aqua glow red theme. I did use forscan when jail breaking mine- the reset timing was a little easier to pull off that way, at least for me. I haven’t installed anything since but wanted to try out a couple more things like the CPU overclock, background loader, and changing the theme to the newest transparent one.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I would agree. It’s akin to trying to tune your ECU with no actual real-world knowledge of doing so. Sure, we can all read/follow directions, but even one misstep can brick your Sync.
Exactly. Then you're in a world of hurt.

And what does it take to open a user account? CC number?

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Would this also work for my 2015 F150 Sync 2 version 3.10?

spiritrider1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
White 2020 GT Convertible
Why did I have to see this?!? Now I want to play but I'm still under warranty till February... :frown:
Sponsored