How to fix broken or weakened front bumper tabs

Discussion in 'DIY' started by jperls, May 23, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    jperls

jperls Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I kick myself for this...had the bumper off the other day to install a new grill and did not take pics...

However, I have to take the bumper off one last time to fix the grill (not all the tabs went in) and when I do that, I will take some pictures to show some more clarity.

2. Taterbootz

Taterbootz Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
    0   0   0
    So I got the retainer clip glued onto the bumper and after a second application of JB weld it seems like it will hold. The plastic body rivets I bought (from auto zone) won’t work to hold the weight of the bumper and splitter without sagging down. I’m going to try and think of a better solution, unless you have a link to the ones you used?

3. Taterbootz

Taterbootz Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I spoke too soon. Just went back outside and the JB weld has let go. Not sure if I just didn’t get a good bond or the heat damaged it.

Back to the drawing board. Thinking about getting some 3m 5200 and making sure it never comes off again. Might try and “make” a tab out of some thin metal and glue that onto the bumper and try to bolt it back on with that.

4. NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I did a JB weld job on those tabs a while back. JB weld can get soft and let go in the heat if its not mixed really equally.

So, I carefully mixed equal portions, cantilevered some wheels and tires against it for compression and let it set for a good 24 hours before releasing the weights and driving it. The car looked great, but it only held for about a week. I think the issue was that the dirty plastic on the inside just wasn't a good enough surface to epoxy to.

Bugs aside, my front bumper isn't in the best of conditions from an obscene number of rock chips, so I guess at some point I'll just replace it.

5. Taterbootz

Taterbootz Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Mine is the same way. I could file an insurance claim and get it fixed with a new bumper but I don’t want to be without a car for the time it’ll take to get it fixed. And I really don’t like the quicklatch buttons. If they could be flush mounted it wouldn’t look bad but that’s really not possible.

6. gjpundsack

gjpundsack Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT 5.0; AT; 355's
    0   0   0
  7. GTP

GTP Deutsche Pony

First Name:
    Philip
    Vehicle(s):
    all paid-for
    Rating:
    90%
    9   1   0
    I bought a 7mm Gearwrench for this screw (and others). I also cut my screws a little shorter.

8. WalterArch

WalterArch Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Can anyone recommend what diameter of Quick-Latch's to get?

1.0"
    1.25"
    1.5"

Obviously the smaller, the better, visually. But does a larger diameter required for a good hold?

9. udcvsean

udcvsean Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    Construction
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I’m curious about this too. Also there’s an even smaller one at 22mm (0.875”).

10. IkoIko420

IkoIko420 Active Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    Hello, my tabs broke on the passenger side. I decided to go with the QuickLatch alternative. I am by no means a car body guy, but it was pretty easy... even the drilling of the hole in the bumper. Looks pretty good in my opinion.IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0381.JPG

Blue Moon and TheGame1190 like this.
  11. WalterArch

WalterArch Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Did you go the route of removing the plastic buffer piece in there and rout out a hole for the peg? Or did you remove it completely? Does it feel like it flexes at all?

12. IkoIko420

IkoIko420 Active Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    Iwent the route with keeping the plastic piece and routing the hole for the pegs. I tried without the plastic piece and it didn't seem as sturdy, so I routed the hole and it seems better. I would recommend keeping the platic piece and drilling the hole in it.

13. rodi22

rodi22 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT fastback magnetic
    0   0   0
    Are the body clip retainers, that you show in pic 6 already there and you just reverse the direction of the screws from out=>in to out<=in?
    If you need new body clip retainers, because the screws were mounted differently, it would be great if you could put in the specs or part numbers of those body clip retainers

14. Performance nut

Performance nut Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT A10
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Just for asking, when using the Quik-Latch solution on the front bumper, does this make the bumper easier to install and remove? I understand the breaking of the tabs, I'm interested in installation and removal of the bumper. I have a few projects that will require removal of the front bumper and I'm wondering if this is worth getting so I can do each one at different times or have this as a backup if a tab breaks when I install everything at once. Seems this is more of a replacement measure if the tabs break or bend rather than a time saving device.

15. KewlWinter

KewlWinter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Yes, it is definitely faster and easier with the Quik-Latch solution, since you no longer have to contend with those hard to get at vertical bolts inside the fender. However, this is true only for the 2015-17, not the 2018+ since Ford changed the attachment block to a sandwich type clamp that is much better.

16. Performance nut

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT A10
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    So is this worth it for the 2018's? I'm hoping to reduce removal and installation times.

17. KewlWinter

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I had a 2015 that I had installed the Quik-Latches and they were great! So once I got my 2018 and my wife a 2016, I thought I would install them again on each since I was doing work on both, intercooler on mine and grills on hers. I purchased 2 sets and all was good installing on the 2016. However, when it came time to take my bumper loose at the fender, I found that the 2018 uses a clamp style block with (2) 10mm nuts to hold the bumper tab. Due to this design change, you no longer pull on the tabs to get them to release from the block, so no weakening like the 2015-17 tabs. Obviously, you could still rip them off due to bumper cover impacts, but even then I think it could take a bit more force before failing. Anyway, since I have seen zero install instructions for how to make the Quick-Latch work with the new 2018+ block design and I didn't want to be the pioneer in this with no real need, I ended up selling the set I intended for my car.

Performance nut likes this.
  18. IkoIko420

IkoIko420 Active Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    So, I just went into a Ford Dealership to see about getting a new Mustang (GT) and was a little pissed off. They (the general manger) said he would only give me 11,500 for my 2015 Ecoboost Premium with upgrades due to the "bumper problems it has." I told him that the tabs broke and this was a fix. He just blew me off and said he wouldn't go any higher because of the quick latches. He also said no one would be interested in the car because it looks as though the bumper has problems or that I wrecked it and got it fixed off the record. Jackass!!!!

19. KewlWinter

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Find another dealer. Looks like that dealer is all about ripping off their customer. I personally think the Quik-Latches add that extra hint of race car to an already bad-ass looking car.

Blue Moon and Performance nut like this.
  20. Performance nut

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT A10
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I think they look good as well but everyone is different. Dealers usually want a clean slate though certain upgrades they like because they are popular with almost everyone: nice wheels, window louvers, Roush/Ford parts, etc. I can see getting book on a car with aftermarket parts but less... that is horse crap.

Flip side of that coin is there are a lot of asshat car guys who take their busted cars to the dealership trying to pass them off as new and the dealership gets burned by "surprises". Even though putting these on doesn't mean you race or had an accident, realize there are those who have had accidents, fix it themselves, put these on, and willing to go to the dealership with the attitude everything is fine. I can't blame dealerships for being cautious. Though I agree with going elsewhere. If someone wants to check out your car closer, let them. That way they can see it is an upgrade and not a band-aide fix because of an accident.