Sponsored

How to fix broken or weakened front bumper tabs

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Your buddy could probably sell these as I know many have broken theirs.
If anyone is interested I can have him print some. I'll do a tiktok on this later
Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
If anyone is interested I can have him print some. I'll do a tiktok on this later
Hm...as someone who has taken their bumper off previously and somehow didn't break any tabs. I am about to take it off again and it's been...6 or 7 years since I last took it off. Slightly concerned this may happen. Would you/your friend be willing to share the model file to make this tab? If not, I may be in the market soon.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Hm...as someone who has taken their bumper off previously and somehow didn't break any tabs. I am about to take it off again and it's been...6 or 7 years since I last took it off. Slightly concerned this may happen. Would you/your friend be willing to share the model file to make this tab? If not, I may be in the market soon.
I think this was just a version 1.0 and he will be making a version 2.0... he got the basic layout on thingyverse for version 1.0.....

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I never took my bumper cover off for fear of breaking that...still have Cervini's grills that I've had for years since I was too scared, lol.

So I'd probably buy a couple just in case I ever decide to do that.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
I think this was just a version 1.0 and he will be making a version 2.0... he got the basic layout on thingyverse for version 1.0.....
Awesome, thanks, found it on there. I'll keep an eye out for any updates in case I do need to go this route.

Sponsored

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I never took my bumper cover off for fear of breaking that...still have Cervini's grills that I've had for years since I was too scared, lol.

So I'd probably buy a couple just in case I ever decide to do that.
How did you get the grill installed? Or was it done by someone else who took the bumper off? :)

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I meant that they are still sitting in the garage since I was too scared to take the bumper cover off...brand new in the boxes still and I am willing to sell them. See the bottom of my sig.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC

Stang8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
What are the clips over top? Also what do you use to plastic weld it? I am interested in these.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
The clips at the top are to hold in place while you're gluing, if you decided to go that route.

When I plastic welded it, I used aluminum tape which had the same effect.
20230301_231153.jpg

Sponsored

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
I am very interested in those 3d printed repair clips are there any still for sale?

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Old thread but still relevant. Attempted to use a soldering iron to melt the tab back together. Held for a bit but popped off the next time I removed it. My next attempt will be to make a tab out of thin aluminum sheet. I will then bend angle tabs that will be drilled full of holes like punch plate to epoxy bond to the inside flat of the bumper cover. Scuff sand to improve epoxy bond. Once inch tabs full of holes bedded in epoxy should hold. My only concern is that the metal tab may get hung on the plastic cleat and not be as easy to remove. An aftermarket pre-made replacement tab that is ready to be bonded to the bumper would be a nice option.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Old thread but still relevant. Attempted to use a soldering iron to melt the tab back together. Held for a bit but popped off the next time I removed it. My next attempt will be to make a tab out of thin aluminum sheet. I will then bend angle tabs that will be drilled full of holes like punch plate to epoxy bond to the inside flat of the bumper cover. Scuff sand to improve epoxy bond. Once inch tabs full of holes bedded in epoxy should hold. My only concern is that the metal tab may get hung on the plastic cleat and not be as easy to remove. An aftermarket pre-made replacement tab that is ready to be bonded to the bumper would be a nice option.
I sell the tabs. Pm me if you'd like a set. I recommend JB plastic bonder as the adhesive of choice.
Sponsored